Your Favourite Collingwood Memory.

Remove this Banner Ad

That game was telecast on TV. Think it was called the Army Reserves cup or something like that back then.
I rarely watched it but on that day I just happened to decide to watch it. Couldn't believe what I was seeing.
Jumped into the crowd as well to try to take a few supporters on.
The commentary from Slug Jordan was A++ though.

About 15 years after this i was at former workplace i took calls and one bloke rang up and in a squeaky voice said "Hi I am John Bourke". Without thinking I said, "you arent the John Bourke who knocked over the umpire were ya", then was horrified i even said that. He goes "yeah mate that was me" and there was maniacal laughter afterwards. I had a big chat to him about it and he was willing to tell everything and he had me in stitches. He was on the footy show a few weeks later giving the same stories. I havent spoken to him since but it was an experience!

The Grundy goal to beat Richmond was pretty freakin’ awesome by virtue of being unexpected. 19 points down with a few minutes to go, was it?

Mid 90s, Victoria Park on the hill, Half Forward flank. it was the days where Vic Park games were dying a slow death, with the Pies getting 2-3 games a year against teams like Freo and Brisbane.

The ball was kicked out towards the boundary line, and MIGHT have just cleared the line on the full, but that would have meant a free kick against the pies, so the crowd most definitely saw it bounce well before the line ;)

The umpire duly gave a free kick against us, and the crowd wen't ape sh*t voicing their disapproval. Next thing I knew I saw a "red thing" fly over my head. Someone had grabbed the giant tomato sauce bottle from the pie stand, and thrown it over the crowd, and towards the boundary umpire!

Missed him by inches.

Ah....Vic park and the great unwashed masses on the hill...I miss those days!

Getting into the change rooms as a 12 year old pre game, watching Wayne Richardson getting rubbed down and my heroes like Len Thompson doing handball drills. I can still smell the linement.

Watching Essendon beat Collingwood in 1990 by less than a goal in what must have been a record crowd at Waverley....paacked inlike sardines! I was sitting in the back row in the VFL Members, approximately 5 miles away from the centre circle. The placed was packed and freezing and Greg Anderson played the game of his life, killing Darren Millane. Micheal Christian was well beaten (Van der Haar???) and was dropped and only returned for the QF replay against West Coast. The following week of course Hawthorn belted us by 70points and it looked like season over. We didnt lose another game after that..
I still reckon we learned a lot from that Essendon game at Waverley and that helped us demolish them twice in September. Needless to say Anderson's great game on Millane was something he never repeated!!

Last edited:
For myself it has to when when Millane gets the ball in the back pocket 48pts up 10 secs to go,magical moment better than any other memory,2010 was fantastic but 90 was bliss.

1. Daicos first goal in the '90 GF

2. Shaw smother in '10 Replay......was our day!

3. Prelim win vs Hawks

Technically it wasnt a smother:D:D:D:D:D

(how many times has a kick been spoiled during the ball drop? I dont think I remember it happening ever before or since.....except maybe in the middle of a scrum of players but that doesnt really count. Especially not on the goalsquare in a grand final to spoil a certain goal)........

Considering this years team the 'Patchwork Pies', the circumstances, the odds, the so called experts all year long.

Dismantling of the minor premiers the Tigers in 2018 Preliminary final.

Absolutely choked them into submission. The Tigers were shell shocked.

Great memories.

where do we start ??

daicos 9 vs richmond in 81. crowd screaming for one more.

beating carlton by a point at VP in 81. top spot was ours :(

same year brewer over the head in SF1.

last qtr of 90 second semi - not only satisfied, but supremely confident we were home in the big dance.

queueing for 90 GF tickets at highpoint (essendon territory) in the essendon queue not letting on i was a pie. (borrowed essendon seasons ticket)

barely been to a pies game in last 25 years.

The 2018 PF against Richmond is now officially on the list.

The Tigers fans were so confident before that game. In the MCC members they were high fiving before it started, singing the song when the team ran out (never do that, its bad luck), talking about where they were sitting for the GF, boasting about how much they would win by.

Then as the game played out, the looks on their faces. The blood draining away, their hearts sinking, the bar beckoning...

Have to say though, for those I spoke to after the game, there was nothing but best wishes for us and congratulations on massively out-playing them.

Plus who could ever forget JDG and Rance.:D

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting into the change rooms as a 12 year old pre game, watching Wayne Richardson getting rubbed down and my heroes like Len Thompson doing handball drills. I can still smell the linement.

Watching Essendon beat Collingwood in 1990 by less than a goal in what must have been a record crowd at Waverley....paacked inlike sardines! I was sitting in the back row in the VFL Members, approximately 5 miles away from the centre circle. The placed was packed and freezing and Greg Anderson played the game of his life, killing Darren Millane. Micheal Christian was well beaten (Van der Haar???) and was dropped and only returned for the QF replay against West Coast. The following week of course Hawthorn belted us by 70points and it looked like season over. We didnt lose another game after that..
I still reckon we learned a lot from that Essendon game at Waverley and that helped us demolish them twice in September. Needless to say Anderson's great game on Millane was something he never repeated!!

I still don't believe Anderson beat Millane that day, but broke even. It just looked like he did as most weeks pants annihilated his opponent. Millane was a ridiculously good player.
If you thought it was cold in the top deck you should have felt how it was in the rain at ground level. Pies were very unlucky to lose that game and proved to be miles better than essendon a few weeks later.

Going for Collingwood, we are kind of spoilt for choice for good memories. For me, it's the 'upset wins' that I really remember and savour - all the ANZAC Days, in 2005 when were on the bottom of the ladder and beat 1st placed in WCE, in the 2007 finals series when we knocked off WCE over there in extra time, 2008 when we knocked off flag favourites Geelong by 80-odd points, this year when we beat Richmond in the prelim.

1990 and 2010 were obviously special, but had we of won this year, it would have been even more so. In 1990 and 2010 we were kind of expected to get the job done and we did. This year, until our upset win over Richmond, absolutely no-one gave us a chance of winning the flag. A Collingwood premiership and a Carlton wooden spoon. Too good to be true.

The comebacks and upset wins hold a special place.

Best comeback that I can remember was against St Kilda at Vic Park in te early 70's we'd kicked 2.10 to half time and were miles behind. Somehow managed to win.
Until this year, the best upset was the game against North when we were close to last and they were first . Carey kcked the first two goals and Buckley was shifted to CHB. Carey didn't get another touch and we won by plenty.

But nothing can compare to the Prelim final this year simply because it was so unexpected and the opposition supporters were so cocky.

A special mention goes to 2 games we lost . The 2007 Prelim and the 1994 Eliminaton Final against WCE were games we were given no chance in and yet lost by under a kick and n both instances with an ounce of luck could have won. THose 2 games for me sum up what Collingwood is and always has been - honest, courageous and never beaten

I suspect most, if not all, Collingwood supporters that went through the all or most of the 60's-80's period losses in grand finals would rate the 1990 flag as the ultimate Collingwood moment. The after party at Vic Park was massive. I went to the G with an esky full of beer and ice in the boot of my car (parked in the Dimmys car park) in the hope we could celebrate at Vic Park after the match for once. I met a mate after the game at my car and we went to Vic Park and sat on the esky drinking beer while the place went off.

Great day and great night.

Other than that some of the Vic Park matches that Daicos took by storm to see us home in the 80's will always stay with me.

Lots of grand memories of the Pies, I've been going since I was a kid. I have a memory of sunshine on spilt beer and a whiff of ciggy smoke that is the essence of September for me.

I was there in 1990, it was pretty unreal: I was lucky enough to go to every final. Essendon were a great side, and we were closing on them for form all season: in Semi we went past them and it seemed like destiny. To beat a great side like the Bombers twice in finals was a dream.

However I hold just as dear memories of Saturday morning rolling down to Vic Park, sometimes early enough to catch the under 19's but usually just see a half of the reserves. I recall BT banished to the 2's punishing Richmond's reserve fullback, I recall being unimpressed by my cousin's tip (with the ridiculous name of Saverio) who seemed a clumsy lump to my eye, so many young blokes coming through the ranks.

Then the crowd swelled and we'd welcome whatever hapless club was drawn to play Collingwood at home.

A few things;

• Sitting on the toilets block because we were kids and victoria park was so crowded it was the only way to see the game properly. The old stands were old that I also managed to get a nail through my foot that had to go down to the first aid downstairs.
  • Sitting and watching the footy with my dad, who is one of the reasons why I'm such a supporter. He is no longer here, as he passed away in 2014.
  • 2010. After the draw, since I live in Collingwood, they held an event near the town hall with the chance to win a double pass to the redraw GF. Came down to two of us, and I managed to get the better of the guy I was opposing for the tickets. Took my brother to the game. We sat Level 4, but I didn't care I was on such a high on the fact I was at my very first GF ever, and seeing my team win a premiership with my very eyes. Never forget that.
  • 2018 premi, no better feeling than sitting first row ponsford and seeing your team kick Richmond, the so-called back-back favourites out of the finals. Still a game I try to watch once a week.

1990 draw v West Coast was an awsome match. Brian Taylor kicked a couple to keep us with them. Daicos "sealed" it with an amazing goal after a handpass from Millane with his broken thumb only for Sumich to unseal it. Then the replay and the two Essendon games - we never looked in danger after surviving the draw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your Favourite Collingwood Memory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back