Your First Collingwood Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 2, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Rams, Raptors, Leafs, Blue Jays
Hi everyone,

I did a quick search and couldn’t find a thread for this and I thought it’d be a good idea.

What was the first Collingwood game you attended live?

For me it was the game against Fremantle in 1997, we won by 100 points. I still remember Rocca kicking 9.

My first game without Collingwood was Hawthorn v Melbourne in 1996, Rd 22 if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Rd. 3 1988 vs Richmond at Waverley Park. I was 7 years old.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1988/041419880416.html

I can't remember much of it except my parents teaching me how to mark the scores in the Footy Record. Looking at the stats we had quite a good day though, we had already cracked the ton by half time. Starcevich must have played a cracking game across half forward if his numbers are anything to go by.

14 of the 20 players that day would go on and play in a premiership two and a half years later.

My first game was at Victoria Park against Essendon (yes, we did play them there) in 1984. Paul Salmon did his knee. He was killing it that season as a 17 year old and did his knee against us.

Saw us get beaten by Richmond a few times in the mid to late 90s? Due to a mix of not living in Melbourne and/or not caring I didn't go to another football game (and my first against an opponent who wasn't Richmond) until 2009 against the Doggies... Where they beat us, pretty much why I can't stand them.

Sometime around the late 70's, neighbour took me to see Collingwood v North Melbourne at Arden St. I think we lost.

Apart from that I remember absolutely nothing about it :(

I have almost the same experience as you 76 except I think it was Richmond. We lost that one as well.

First game I went to was against North in 2001, when we had that classic at Etihad Stadium. I remember walking out, and sitting with a few people, one of who was my d***head stepfather, since excused of his role courtesy of a much delayed divorce.

He was condescending of course, being that I was only 10 years old, and obsessed with the Magpies. I am not sure of the circumstances for how we lost, but I remember that scum carey running into a open goal, and smiling as he was accustomed to. I have to say my stepfather was p***ing in an alleyway afterwards. Shows the class of North, and their supporters I suppose.

Did Tarrant kick five that game? It was Didak's first game, but I do not remember his first kick, which was I goal I think. I was at his 150th game in 2009 too, and loved it when I saw the Blues get smashed. Imagine the fact Fevola nearly kicked 100 goals that year, and the Blues only kicked 4.17 that night. I have been to a few games, but not since 2013. I have to say, the Magpies have offered me a lot of memories. I love this club :)

Not the first game i attended but the first i remember. Round 4 1987 against Richmond at Vfl park. I remember my older sister teasing me and crying, we were 7 goals down at three quarter time. I also remember teasing my sister till she cried after the game, pies won by 10 points.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first game I ACTUALLY remember anything vividly of, was a game at the MCG against Richmond in 1974, in which John Greening made a comeback. Ron Richards was coaching, as Neil Mann was coaching the state team that day.

I was sitting with my dad 2nd tier southern South right on the wing. I can even tell you what the banner said, "Welcome back JG".

Even the score is burnt into my memory. Coll. 21 17 143 d Rich. 9 20 74

The first game I ACTUALLY remember anything vividly of, was a game at the MCG against Richmond in 1974, in which John Greening made a comeback. Ron Richards was coaching, as Neil Mann was coaching the state team that day.

I was sitting with my dad 2nd tier southern stand right on the wing. I can even tell you what the banner said, "Welcome back JG".

Even the score is burnt into my memory. Coll. 21 17 143 d Rich. 9 20 74

Sorry sticky fingers tonight.

Mine was KB's 400th game against us at the G in 1983. I remember very little - we won and Mike Richardson kicked a few goals.

First game I went to was against North in 2001, when we had that classic at Etihad Stadium. I remember walking out, and sitting with a few people, one of who was my d***head stepfather, since excused of his role courtesy of a much delayed divorce.

He was condescending of course, being that I was only 10 years old, and obsessed with the Magpies. I am not sure of the circumstances for how we lost, but I remember that scum carey running into a open goal, and smiling as he was accustomed to. I have to say my stepfather was p***ing in an alleyway afterwards. Shows the class of North, and their supporters I suppose.

Did Tarrant kick five that game? It was Didak's first game, but I do not remember his first kick, which was I goal I think. I was at his 150th game in 2009 too, and loved it when I saw the Blues get smashed. Imagine the fact Fevola nearly kicked 100 goals that year, and the Blues only kicked 4.17 that night. I have been to a few games, but not since 2013. I have to say, the Magpies have offered me a lot of memories. I love this club :)
That was the game where Sav and Anthony played each other after Sav left. Sav kicked the winner for them in the last few minutes after I think Anthony missed one (or he might have kicked one late - can't exactly remember). I was gutted though as we were up by a few goals in last quarter. that was the year we started to awaken out of our long slumber.

My old man took me to a lot of Collingwood Carlton games when I was a kid . The only non Collingwood games I when to were state of origin , they were great fun .

if i remember correctly, my mother must have verballed my father into taking me to the footy. we went to glenferrie..... I had nightmares for weeks after seeing that oval/gulag....i still remember leaving thru this tunnel. The rats dropped from the ceilings and it doubled as a overflow pipe for the toilets on a rainy day....

tunnell.jpg

It was 2005. It was the first sporting event I'd been to since school. I have no idea who our opponents were, but the Southern Stand (I think) was under reconstruction and I could see right across Melbourne. I love round structures and thought being at the MCG was like being in an ancient hill fort. I was astonished that there was no violence between supporters, and amazed to see opposing barrackers sitting amicably together. I thought I'd reached Nirvana. I had no idea what was happening on the ground. Sometimes I think I haven't learnt much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your First Collingwood Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back