Your First Collingwood Game

Remove this Banner Ad

My first game was round 15, 2003 vs Freo.. I barely remember it. I went with a friend from school before I was really following footy. My next game wasn't until 2005 when I saw pies get done by Bombers the second time around (not Anzac)with the same friend and then in 2006 I went in round 1 and have been a regular since.
I watched the footy a lot in 2005, it was my first year of really supporting the pies properly, but I only went to the one game.
I remember we absolutely sucked in 2005, I wasn't watching regularly until about round 5 and we only won 3 games for the year beyond that point.. Then in 2006 we won so many at the start it was incredible because I had accepted losing.
I remember in 2005 coming home from overseas and running to turn the TV on because the pies were playing and we were losing 58-9 or something to brisbane and I still watched the second half before going to bed. i also rememebr the final game against the Bulldogs, we only lost by 40.. I thought that was a really good effort

My first game was as a young kid at Victoria Park, and it was rd 24 in 1992 vs Adelaide. I was gobsmacked when we got off the train and I saw Vic Park for the first time in all it's black and white glory. I remember buying a couple of badges on the way in as well as a Collingwood headband(which got many years of use haha).

We sat down on the old wooden seats in the forward pocket and had a great day, we ended up winning in a close one, I couldn't tell you much about the game, but I certainly remember the atmosphere, and it was the catalyst for my love of the game.

1968 MCG Pies V Tigers... can't remember the result. All I can recall is a guy called Ross, who everyone referred to as Twiggy kicking long torps and Tuddy, Roger Dean and Paddy Guinane being booed every time they got the ball...

Can't remember the year, I was about 7 or 8 but it was Collingwood v Geelong we won by about 5 points. It was when Ablett took the mark over Pert. I always said he never marked it but after last week it was a clear mark

1968 MCG Pies V Tigers... can't remember the result. All I can recall is a guy called Ross, who everyone referred to as Twiggy kicking long torps and Tuddy, Roger Dean and Paddy Guinane being booed every time they got the ball...

Ahhh Ross "Twiggy" Dunne. Beautiful kick of a ball.

mine was Collingwood carlton round 4 or 5 in 1988. missed those long tram, train and connecting bus rides to VFL park.
What a super game. Both teams unbeaten and they were reigning premiers. That game was the start of our return as a super power. Beat them by 5 goals.

I watched that game so many times I remember half of the commentary 27 years later. That flog Robbo was commentating

Can't remember the year, I was about 7 or 8 but it was Collingwood v Geelong we won by about 5 points. It was when Ablett took the mark over Pert. I always said he never marked it but after last week it was a clear mark
The year was 94 Boxy, but they were 2 different games. Ablett took that mark in the first game when they beat us by about 5/6 goals. The return game saw us win by 5 points. That was the one where Bucks kicked 4 goals including the sealer.

What a super game. Both teams unbeaten and they were reigning premiers. That game was the start of our return as a super power. Beat them by 5 goals.

I watched that game so many times I remember half of the commentary 27 years later. That flog Robbo was commentating

i have to say i enjoyed the return game more in the home and away seson later in the year. the one where starcevich kick three of the most boring goals in the last quarter to win us the match, and that mark of the year from silvagni. but what annoyed me the most was the pricks beating us in the finals that year.

i have to say i enjoyed the return game more in the home and away seson later in the year. the one where starcevich kick three of the most boring goals in the last quarter to win us the match, and that mark of the year from silvagni. but what annoyed me the most was the pricks beating us in the finals that year.
There's YouTube highlights of this game and it's just awesome to watch. Yes agree re finals. We froze they jumped us, came back in second quarter and they ran away after half time.

That was the one where Daics hit the post from about 25 out tucked up in the pocket at the Yarra Falls end to level the scores. Seem to recall commentary afterwards that he had McGuane loose but he was entitled to go the shot.

I'm really struggling here but I think it was Peter Hudson's return game at Waverley when he arrived by helicopter. My only real memory of the game was a mark taken by Alan Atkinson on the wing. I remember it vividly because I'd never seen anybody get quite that high. He seemed to virtually jump right over the Hawks player and grab it while barely touching him.

One I remember very well was my son's first game when I took him to see Us Vs Freo at Vic Park. Round 10, 1998. There had been a lot of talk about it possibly being our last game at Vic Park and I wanted to make sure my son got to see a match there. He was only about 4 or 5 at the time and didn't last far past half time so I had to take him home but he got to see Bucks at his absolute finest. Bucks had 36 disposals that day and I remember the crowd counting them out loud every time he touched it. Special day!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was either 1968,69 or 70 I was very young, We made the drive from Geelong to Vic Park to see the Pies play Geelong. Car was full of Geelong supporters talking about how they whipped em last time. We parked in a servo with a picture of the Esso tiger on the wall. Stood down at the Yarra falls end. Collingwood kicked 14.22.106 (I always remember that) Geelong kicked around 9 goals. Mckenna kicked 4 including one massive goal that seemed to a little kid of 5 or so to have been kicked from Center Half Back. I remember they came out at half time with a tape measure and measured how far he kicked it. The other thing I remember is Barry Price. I started practicing stab kicks the next day. Been in love with the pies ever since

Can't exactly remember my first game as I was very young (maybe 4or5?) but I do remember the first game I went to that we actually won. I know it was against Geelong at the G and if my memory serves me correctly we won by 11points. Couldn't stop singing the song after the win.

Edit: after googling the game was round15 1998 (I was 7) and we won by 10points....... without Bucks

First game, Collingwood v Carlton, Queens Birthday 1971 at Waverley. I was 6 years old and it was magical. Collingwood won by 85 pts, had 14 goals on the board to 3 at half time. McKenna kicked 8. The team had McKenna, Richardson, Thommo, Tuddy, Greening, Price....great, great team.

2nd game, 1 year later at Vic. Park, Tuudy back at Collingwood as Captain/Coach at Essendon. Remember more of this game. Packed in like sardines, floggers catching fire, tuddy's return, Geoff Blethyn at one end kicking goals in a tight first half with Collingwood trailing by 16 pts, and then going bang in the second half to win easilyby 55, McKenna kicking 13. I remember how quickly we moved the ball through the middle to hit up McKenna, and for some reason McOrist has always stuck with me from this game, I think he kicked a couple, but ended up not playing a whole lot of games for us.

The team had McKenna, Richardson, Thommo, Tuddy, Greening, Price....great, great team.
Unfortunately never quite lived up to its potential 1970 hurt those guys mentally. Was good enough to win a series of flags in early 70's just mentally scarred. I remember Richmond coming back from 8 goals down in a preliminary final. we were magic in the first half and totally useless in the 2nd. Richmond went on to win the flag by about 7 goals...another one that got away

My first Pies game was the 96 Anzac Day game, which we won in a close one from memory. I was 11 and came down on the bus with my old man, who still does that every year with my sister and we all go together, jeez I love Anzac Day games.

Mine was 16th June 1990, Rnd 12 v Geelong with 53916 others, one of whom was a Geelong supporter who, having noticed the backgammon set I had bought on my way to the match, challenged me to a game at half time. I won; the 'pies won.

The first game I went to was at Vic Park sometime in the 80s.

The first game I remember was the semi-final against Essendon in 1990. :) What a day at the G!

My first was Round 1 1997, which also happened to be Port Adelaide's inaugural match in the AFL.

I remember sitting on the opposite wing to the one Buckley took that speccy. I may be wrong, but I think it was also Anthony Rocca's first game for Collingwood and he and Sav kicked a bag between them and we comprehensively beat the Power.

Good day but doesn't top being at the 'G on the first October of 2010! ;)

Unfortunately never quite lived up to its potential 1970 hurt those guys mentally. Was good enough to win a series of flags in early 70's just mentally scarred. I remember Richmond coming back from 8 goals down in a preliminary final. we were magic in the first half and totally useless in the 2nd. Richmond went on to win the flag by about 7 goals...another one that got away

I'm guessing overall physical fitness played its part during those times as well...

My first game was Round 1 1966 v's Hawthorn at Victoria Park. Peter McKenna kicked 12 goals in one of his early games.

I sat in the old stand at the railway end of the ground, not the Sherrin Stand which is there now but this old wooden construction which rumbled and shook every time we scored a goal!
McKenna was my favourite after that day, always a bit sad for him that he never got a flag but wrapped for him when he presented the 2010 Premiership Cup.

My first was Round 1 1997, which also happened to be Port Adelaide's inaugural match in the AFL.

I remember sitting on the opposite wing to the one Buckley took that speccy. I may be wrong, but I think it was also Anthony Rocca's first game for Collingwood and he and Sav kicked a bag between them and we comprehensively beat the Power.

Good day but doesn't top being at the 'G on the first October of 2010! ;)

Was that the game we kicked 11.1 or something like that to half time? And Leigh Walker was playing before his knee's went completely, think he kicked a few as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your First Collingwood Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back