Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Remove this Banner Ad

I just rediscovered a "one hit wonder" band and this other song of theirs is ten times better.

I don't always buy into what people consider popular. For many reasons it's not necessarily the best song.
Dexy's Midnight Runners a good illustration of this. eg. "Geno" is a much better song than "Come On Eileen".

The reach of rock bands has been steadily in decline as the distribution model of music changes and fans splinter into smaller groups, saying Foo Fighters weren't as globally big as U2 doesn't mean he is not a rock star, they were still plenty big. Most of the 90s bands still touring probably count as genuine global rock stars, Grohl and Eddie Vedder, Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day a tier below, Brandon Flowers of the Killers.

But with each passing year, the number of bands big enough worldwide is declining.
Bono has this aura where if you were to find yourself in the same room as him, you’d feel pretty special.

A friend went overseas and was in a hotel lobby when Tom Cruise was there feet away from him. It’s that sort of vibe too. It’s like royalty.

Music wise very few have that. Bono is up there with Madonna, Michael Jackson when he was kicking about, and now Swift and Beyoncé would be the same.

I wouldn’t have Grohl or Chris Martin in that bracket. I’d love to be in the same room as them but it wouldn’t be the same.

Sunnyboys are far from a ‘one hit wonder’ band though. Just about every track they released in those first five years or so was quality, worthy of a completionist cult following. Sure Happy Man/Alone With You are the classic radio songs that might pop up in a period soundtrack but they had a steady chart presence and various other songs that found traction, no genuine massive (OHW-esque) hits either. I guess ‘signature song’ or ‘seminal track’ is probably the more befitting term here for something like Alone With You. Even mega stars with songbooks of hits and anthems have their signature songs, happens to everybody.

Geno was also a big hit in UK/Ireland.

Last edited:
Bono has this aura where if you were to find yourself in the same room as him, you’d feel pretty special.

A friend went overseas and was in a hotel lobby when Tom Cruise was there feet away from him. It’s that sort of vibe too. It’s like royalty.

Music wise very few have that. Bono is up there with Madonna, Michael Jackson when he was kicking about, and now Swift and Beyoncé would be the same.

I wouldn’t have Grohl or Chris Martin in that bracket. I’d love to be in the same room as them but it wouldn’t be the same.
I fee like you're describing two different things here. There's the charisma, where someone has the ability to make you feel like you are the only person in the room, look straight at you and talk only to you. I've read people say Bill Clinton and Tom Cruise are like that. I haven't seen anyone suggest Taylor Swift or Beyonce is like that. They are the other thing, people so famous they seem like they are from another planet. Madonna and Michael Jackson would have been like that, but as I mentioned earlier, the global superstar is on the wane because global release and consumption of music is on the decline. I feel Bono is more like the latter, one of the last big music stars, but I don't see him as being any more charismatic than Grohl or Vedder or most other big stars with lots of stories.

I know I would certainly rather sit down and shoot the shit with Vedder or Grohl than Swift or Beyonce. Bono in between.

Last edited:
Sunnyboys are far from a ‘one hit wonder’ band though. Just about every track they released in those first five years or so was quality, worthy of a completionist cult following. Sure Happy Man/Alone With You are the classic radio songs that might pop up in a period soundtrack but they had a steady chart presence and various other songs that found traction, no genuine massive (OHW-esque) hits either. I guess ‘signature song’ or ‘seminal track’ is probably the more befitting term here for something like Alone With You. Even mega stars with songbooks of hits and anthems have their signature songs, happens to everybody.

Geno was also a big hit in UK/Ireland.
agree with what you're saying. I was speaking about being in the public eyes. There's a thread about this, where supposed one hit wonders in the public eye were much more. I've listed many artists that are considered such but have been incredible despite the popularity.

Sonnyboys is an example of this. The general public will only ever know one song.

I fee like you're describing two different things here. There's the charisma, where someone has the ability to make you feel like you are the only person in the room, look straight at you and talk only to you. I've read people say Bill Clinton and Tom Cruise are like that. I haven't seen anyone suggest Taylor Swift or Beyonce is like that. They are the other thing, people so famous they seem like they are from another planet. Madonna and Michael Jackson would have been like that, but as I mentioned earlier, the global superstar is on the wane because global release and consumption of music is on the decline. I feel Bono is more like the latter, one of the last big music stars, but I don't see him as being any more charismatic than Grohl or Vedder or most other big stars with lots of stories.

I know I would certainly rather sit down and shoot the s**t with Vedder or Grohl than Swift or Beyonce. Bono in between.
Nah I’m not talking about charisma. You need to interact with someone to witness that. I’m just talking about being in the same space with them. When I saw U2 last time, I took a moment to say “that’s ****ing Bono up there”. I wouldn’t do the same with Grohl despite him being a big star too. Maybe it’s his down to earth-edness which takes some of the aura away.

Swift definitely has it. I don’t know what charisma she has but I’ve never seen anything like what she’s creating just by being in our country.

Nah I’m not talking about charisma. You need to interact with someone to witness that. I’m just talking about being in the same space with them. When I saw U2 last time, I took a moment to say “that’s ******* Bono up there”. I wouldn’t do the same with Grohl despite him being a big star too. Maybe it’s his down to earth-edness which takes some of the aura away.

Swift definitely has it. I don’t know what charisma she has but I’ve never seen anything like what she’s creating just by being in our country.
Fame isn’t charisma and vice versa, even if they go hand in hand sometimes. Michael Jackson left people starstruck with his talent, but in person, he was apparently shy and not very engaging. Bono does have the fame and does seem to have charisma but it’s a personal thing as well. I’d be much more impressed meeting Vedder than Bono. It certainly isn’t universal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm gona say I thought Journey was a different song same sound kind of band with nothing but fillers but they've surprised me greatly.

Discoverd this the other day by accident and It's as good as Don't Stop Believin'

Californication is one of the most uninspiring, depressing songs ive ever heard but every campaigner seemed to love it when it came out
Their lesser known songs are mellow and really good. I love Savior for only 1.7M views, it's really good.

I think I'd just shout W@nker! if I found myself in a room with Bono.

Just before or after you started raining blows down upon the pompous prat ???

Did chuckle when someone said today on Whately on Sen that Taylor Swift made Ed Sheeran look like a busker….. been saying it for years, Sheeran is no more than a busker and you can find plenty better buskers on street corners than him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I listened to a friend rave for 10 minutes today about re-discovering Bruce Springsteen during interstate holiday flights.

I think he is my ultimate "I don't get it" musician. We have so many talented musicians and song writers in Australia, and patriotically I wish they could all succeed.

For me, the fact that an ordinary song writer, a terrible singer, and a shitty guitarist singing about Americana can sell out big gigs in Australia is really embarrassing. It's not a testament to the performer as much as it's a testament to a pathetic envy of America.

I had this conversation with a big Bruce fan, and she said that Bruce's appeal to his fans was his look, sound and the lyrics.

Did chuckle when someone said today on Whately on Sen that Taylor Swift made Ed Sheeran look like a busker….. been saying it for years, Sheeran is no more than a busker and you can find plenty better buskers on street corners than him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Tend to agree.

Saw enough of them when I was in Europe , doing loops with a pedal and sounding just as good.

I listened to a friend rave for 10 minutes today about re-discovering Bruce Springsteen during interstate holiday flights.

I think he is my ultimate "I don't get it" musician. We have so many talented musicians and song writers in Australia, and patriotically I wish they could all succeed.

For me, the fact that an ordinary song writer, a terrible singer, and a shitty guitarist singing about Americana can sell out big gigs in Australia is really embarrassing. It's not a testament to the performer as much as it's a testament to a pathetic envy of America.

Not only that. He managed to forge a career as a "rock" artist without a single memorable guitar riff. Not one. In 50 years.

Nothing against him personally, but absolutely do not get what the fuss is all about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Remove this Banner Ad

Back