Your states top 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Given a lot of us dont get to see the WAFL and SANFL games , would be interested to hear who you think (in order) your top 15 or so chances are for being drafted.

WA? Haven't seen all of them but I will give it a go and let someone else clarify/fix/comment...

1. Scott Gumbleton (CHF) - Clearly the best WA youngster and IMO will go Top 3. Broke onto the scene at WAFL level, but recently has only been a solid performer. With the extra attention, has been shown to be a hard working player in addition to high skill level.

2. Matthew Leunenburger (Ruck) - Tall but very mobile and clever ruckman who has been in good form at WAFL level, matching it with Bandy/Gardiner and the like. IMO is better than Ryder from the previous year and probably deserves to go Top 5 but will likely go later.

3. Clinton Benjamin - Haven't seen him, but the attributes will be an attractive package for a number of teams. Tall, very fast and agile and decent skills. Hasn't broken into the seniors but I have heard Freo are very keen on him.

4. Clayton Collard - Also broke into the WAFL earlier and been dominant at times - he kicked five goals in one game playing on the HFF. Silky mover and very skilled but unlike Jetta is slightly bigger (I think 181cm from memory). Recently dropped to the reserves, I still think the height and the consistency at WAFL level will play its part in the draft.

5. Leroy Jetta - Only just broke into the Seniors for the second time(?) - didn't see the match but read he kicked a goal yesterday. Very fast and skilled and gets a bit of the pill but height could a problem and can try to do too much at times (Daniel Kerr on a bad day comes to mind). Mind you, if Daniel Kerr (un-officially) wins the Brownlow Jetta might go higher. IMO fits the bill to be taken by Carlton or Essendon with their priority pick.

6. Eric MacKenzie - Key position player. Haven't seen anything of him and hasn't played at senior level, but the fact that he is a KP makes him likely to be taken sooner than later.

7. Gary Moss - Another pacy but smallish midfielder. Unlike Jetta though, is a hard working engine-room (Rather than ultra skilled midfielder) midfielder who has already been in his teams best at senior level. Hard to decide where he will go, but I think his WAFL form will add to value come draft day. Former AIS squad member.

8. Jarryd Morton - see Benjamin - Tall pacy skilled players are one of the most valuable types in modern football.

9. Brock O'Brien - Medium HBF/Midfielder with genuine hardness and some skill. Played 3 senior games. Former AIS squad member.

10. Seal - played as a tagger/HBF for East Perth and been very successful. Whether considered good enough to play AFL...?

11. Armsfield - fast tall skilled Midfielder/HFF that didn't get drafted last year. Rated by Wiseby as the "Black and Gold Brand Jarrad Brennan", was in the Swans best quite a bit earlier in the season until injury struck. IMO would eb a really good pickup.

13. Hawksley - HBF. Was an AIS member?

14. James MacManamara - Played some senior football for East Freo...

15. ???

Can someone who has seen other others help? ;)

Colbung would probably get a gig.

I agree re Armsfield. I really hope he gets a crack (rookie list possibility).

I'd personally have Collard just ahead of Jetta and Benjamin, but that's just because he has been a personal favourite of mine for sometime now. I'd probably have O'Brien just ahead of Morton too.

Leuenberger will surely go top 6-7 now, if not higher. He has done nothing wrong since the carnival, and I am sure recruiters would be impressed by his WAFL form. Would be a great addition to any side, even though he'll take at least 2 years to play decent AFL footy.

Another favourite of mine is Andrew Strijk from West Perth. I know he trained with WCE last pre-season, and should be a chance to get a rookie listing. May well be between Seal, Armsfield and Strijk for an eagles rookie listing.

sinepari said:
Colbung would probably get a gig.

I'd personally have Collard just ahead of Jetta and Benjamin, but that's just because he has been a personal favourite of mine for sometime now. I'd probably have O'Brien just ahead of Morton too.

Leuenberger will surely go top 6-7 now, if not higher. He has done nothing wrong since the carnival, and I am sure recruiters would be impressed by his WAFL form. Would be a great addition to any side, even though he'll take at least 2 years to play decent AFL footy.

Another favourite of mine is Andrew Strijk from West Perth. I know he trained with WCE last pre-season, and should be a chance to get a rookie listing. May well be between Seal, Armsfield and Strijk for an eagles rookie listing.

Knew I forgot someone. Also maybe Nathan Krakouer.

Sinepari - Collards five (Actually six) goals were in the league against Swans http://www.wafl.com.au/default.aspx?s=results - there was a story in the paper about it, because Marty Atkins (Assistant Coach) said he would kiss his rear end if he kicked five goals for South Freo Seniors. Consequently the training session after the game...

(That link doesn't seem to work so...)
23.10-148 South Fremantle 7:00 PM
Fri 28/Apr

Fremantle Oval
def.
12.12-84 Swan Districts
South Fremantle
Goal Kickers: E. HEWITT 6, C. COLLARD 6, A. HAMS 3, K. UGLE 2, T. ADAMS, R. WEBB, R. SMITHERS, M. CORNELL, B. COLLARD, C. JONES
Best Players: H. NORTH, C. JONES, E. HEWITT, P. MUGAMBWA, K. UGLE, A. HAMS
Swan Districts
Goal Kickers: A.Wilson - 2;A.Hansen - 2;C.Maguire - 2;A.Lange - 2;D.Wulf - 1;M.Johnson - 1;J.Pearce - 1;B.Matthews-Herald - 1
Best Players: M.Johnson;T.Ames;J.Grabski;C.Callaghan;M.Piani

I have Collard ahead of Jetta - has just done more and is more AFL size. Just have a feeling Benjamin will look a better prospect to a lot of teams around picks 8 - 16 in terms of potential. I know Freo are looking for biggish utility type players that might one day play midfield and he would come under that category.

I see it as similar to the Xavier Ellis / Dale Thomas situation last year - Dale Thomas had done more and was ready to go this year as Collard will be next year, but maybe at the end of the day Ellis will be the better player.

Ysaye said:
WA? Haven't seen all of them but I will give it a go and let someone else clarify/fix/comment...

1. Scott Gumbleton (CHF) - Clearly the best WA youngster and IMO will go Top 3. Broke onto the scene at WAFL level, but recently has only been a solid performer. With the extra attention, has been shown to be a hard working player in addition to high skill level.

2. Matthew Leunenburger (Ruck) - Tall but very mobile and clever ruckman who has been in good form at WAFL level, matching it with Bandy/Gardiner and the like. IMO is better than Ryder from the previous year and probably deserves to go Top 5 but will likely go later.

3. Clinton Benjamin - Haven't seen him, but the attributes will be an attractive package for a number of teams. Tall, very fast and agile and decent skills. Hasn't broken into the seniors but I have heard Freo are very keen on him.

4. Clayton Collard - Also broke into the WAFL earlier and been dominant at times - he kicked five goals in one game playing on the HFF. Silky mover and very skilled but unlike Jetta is slightly bigger (I think 181cm from memory). Recently dropped to the reserves, I still think the height and the consistency at WAFL level will play its part in the draft.

5. Leroy Jetta - Only just broke into the Seniors for the second time(?) - didn't see the match but read he kicked a goal yesterday. Very fast and skilled and gets a bit of the pill but height could a problem and can try to do too much at times (Daniel Kerr on a bad day comes to mind). Mind you, if Daniel Kerr (un-officially) wins the Brownlow Jetta might go higher. IMO fits the bill to be taken by Carlton or Essendon with their priority pick.

6. Eric MacKenzie - Key position player. Haven't seen anything of him and hasn't played at senior level, but the fact that he is a KP makes him likely to be taken sooner than later.

7. Gary Moss - Another pacy but smallish midfielder. Unlike Jetta though, is a hard working engine-room (Rather than ultra skilled midfielder) midfielder who has already been in his teams best at senior level. Hard to decide where he will go, but I think his WAFL form will add to value come draft day. Former AIS squad member.

8. Jarryd Morton - see Benjamin - Tall pacy skilled players are one of the most valuable types in modern football.

9. Brock O'Brien - Medium HBF/Midfielder with genuine hardness and some skill. Played 3 senior games. Former AIS squad member.

10. Seal - played as a tagger/HBF for East Perth and been very successful. Whether considered good enough to play AFL...?

11. Armsfield - fast tall skilled Midfielder/HFF that didn't get drafted last year. Rated by Wiseby as the "Black and Gold Brand Jarrad Brennan", was in the Swans best quite a bit earlier in the season until injury struck. IMO would eb a really good pickup.

13. Hawksley - HBF. Was an AIS member?

14. James MacManamara - Played some senior football for East Freo...

15. ???

Can someone who has seen other others help? ;)

I quite liked the kid Masten at the Champs. Doesnt seem an imposing type but was very efficient.

Also the two **** boys, I think it was Dean who struck me as a terrific build and a good mover. Was in and out of the games at Champs times but just gives you a sense he might be something.

The other one was Foster - nice build and beaut kick.

Any progress on these lads.

Ysaye, I originally thought it was C Collard who kicked 6 and posted that news, only to be told by several people on here that it was Brad.

Cheers for proving me correct.

Krakeour is a chance, probably a handy small forward. But with Djerkura, Jetta & Collard just to name a few, he may find it hard to get picked up. Collard plays a different role, but would probably be a small HF next year.

my top 15 would be for WA

1. Gumbelton
2. Leunberger
3. Jetta
4. Moss
5. Benjamin
6. Obrien
7. Morton
8. Collard
9. Mckenzie
10. Hawksley
11. Colbung
12. Mcnamara
13. B ****
14. Virgo
15. Foster

sinepari said:
Lingsface, do you think that Virgo will get picked up? Rumours suggested he won't even nominate? Any ideas?
Honestly no I dont think he will but will be a very good WAFL player in the future, lacks a bit of pace and height also relies to much on his body strength in colts football to be a damaging player at AFL level.

sinepari said:

Given that he hasn't got an invite to the screening camp you'd have to say that is his best chance. Miles and Simpson his team mates at SD would be in front of him not that either of them got an invite either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My rough estimation:

1. Lachlan Hansen (Gippsland Power)

1.5. Tom Hawkins (Sandringham Dragons) (F/S Selection)

2. Joel Selwood (Bendigo Pioneers)

3. Ben Reid (Murray Bushrangers)

4. Bachar Houli (Western Jets)

5. Nathan Brown (North Ballarat Rebels)

6. Andrejs Everitt (Dandenong Stingrays)

7. Leigh Adams (Eastern Ranges)

8. Robert Eddy (Gippsland Power)

9. Mitchell Brown (North Ballarat Rebels)

10. Rhyce Prismall (Western Jets)

11. Shaun Grigg (North Ballarat Rebels)

12. Daniel O’Keefe (Geelong Falcons)

13. Travis Boak (Geelong Falcons)

13.5. Joshua Kennedy (Sandringham Dragons) (F/S Selection)

14. Jarryd Allen (Calder Cannons)

14.5. Sam Sheldon (Oakleigh Chargers) (F/S Selection)

15. Robert Gray (Oakleigh Chargers)

vinnie_vegas69 said:
My rough estimation:

1. Lachlan Hansen (Gippsland Power)

1.5. Tom Hawkins (Sandringham Dragons) (F/S Selection)

2. Joel Selwood (Bendigo Pioneers)

3. Ben Reid (Murray Bushrangers)

4. Bachar Houli (Western Jets)

5. Nathan Brown (North Ballarat Rebels)

6. Andrejs Everitt (Dandenong Stingrays)

7. Leigh Adams (Eastern Ranges)

8. Robert Eddy (Gippsland Power)

9. Mitchell Brown (North Ballarat Rebels)

10. Rhyce Prismall (Western Jets)

11. Shaun Grigg (North Ballarat Rebels)

12. Daniel O’Keefe (Geelong Falcons)

13. Travis Boak (Geelong Falcons)

13.5. Joshua Kennedy (Sandringham Dragons) (F/S Selection)

14. Jarryd Allen (Calder Cannons)

14.5. Sam Sheldon (Oakleigh Chargers) (F/S Selection)

15. Robert Gray (Oakleigh Chargers)

vin.....can you give me some insight as to why ben reid is rated so highly???
ive read some profiles about him and seen him play in the state matches....im sorry but i cant see what all the hype is about from my limited viewing. He just doesnt have the ability to stamp a real influence on a game which is what first round picks must do. I will accept any criticism as i havent seen that much but would just like to know why so many people rate him so highly. thanks :)

carntheeagles said:
ive read some profiles about him and seen him play in the state matches....im sorry but i cant see what all the hype is about from my limited viewing. He just doesnt have the ability to stamp a real influence on a game which is what first round picks must do. I will accept any criticism as i havent seen that much but would just like to know why so many people rate him so highly. thanks :)
He has a lot of physical talent, a lot of room to improve, and realistically, he could be anything. He showed that he can play on the wing in the Championships, as well as obviously playing as a tall in the TAC Cup.

He's similar to a less athletic Mitch Thorp, or a better marking Andrejs Everitt, which is why he's rated somewhat in between those two.

vinnie_vegas69 said:
He has a lot of physical talent, a lot of room to improve, and realistically, he could be anything. He showed that he can play on the wing in the Championships, as well as obviously playing as a tall in the TAC Cup.

He's similar to a less athletic Mitch Thorp, or a better marking Andrejs Everitt, which is why he's rated somewhat in between those two.

Very well put vinnie has potential to be a gun, its just a matter of what a club wants to develop him as!!!

carntheeagles said:

Agreed - I have only seen him 3 times (incl one game at Champs) and he did not impose at all. Agree he has a build to develop but there are some deficiencies. If he is first round then I hope its not the Pies.

Snoop Dog said:
Agreed - I have only seen him 3 times (incl one game at Champs) and he did not impose at all. Agree he has a build to develop but there are some deficiencies. If he is first round then I hope its not the Pies.

With Reid, you need to keep in mind that he's only eligible for the draft by a few days. That means that many of the players who are drafted are a year or so older than him.

NSW/ACT won't play a big role in the draft but they do have some players who will create interest.

1.Craig Bird-an insider midfielder hard at the ball, clearly the pick of the Rams at the Championships.

2.Tim McIntyre-a small half forward with a touch of class. Played very well in the rain at the Champs.

3.Ed Wilson-a 200cm+ ruckman who was injured in the Championships but shows promise.

4.Jay Koehler-a CHB who played well in 2 games at the Champs and is strong.

5.Leigh Prior- a strong marking FB or CHB from Eden is slow but could develop.

6.Malcolm Lynch-clever indigenous half forward who did not play in the Champs.

Others are ben Woods, Todd Dickinson and perhaps James Wilsen if he is eligible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your states top 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Back