Your upcoming gigs

Remove this Banner Ad

Witch Hats, Lalic, Shame Brothers, Girl Crazy. The Old Bar Fitzroy next week. Haven't been to a show for a while.

Gillian Welch tonight was possibly/probably the greatest gig I have ever seen. Dave Rawlings guitar work, Gillian's guitar work, the brilliant songs, the incredible and beautiful harmonies.... Amazing !

Gillian Welch tonight was possibly/probably the greatest gig I have ever seen. Dave Rawlings guitar work, Gillian's guitar work, the brilliant songs, the incredible and beautiful harmonies.... Amazing !
jelous of you JD , had the pleasure of seeing her and Dave last time they were in oz , at Meeniyan town halldown here in gippy , brought tears to my eyes with the shear beauty of their songcraft , that gig was voted 3rrr's gig of the year back then , do you have Dave Rawlings and the machines cd's they both rippers! My own gigs of late and upcoming are Raised by eagles and lost ragas on austday at the gaso , both were great , then Holy Holy lat friday at the corner ,and they rocked. Can't wait for Calexico at the arts centre in March , then for the biggest gig of the year so far the one and only Died Pretty reformed at MaxWatts on 18th March

Last edited:
jelous of you JD , had the pleasure of seeing her and Dave last time they were in oz , at Meeniyan town halldown here in gippy , brought tears to my eyes with the shear beauty of their songcraft , that gig was voted 3rrr's gig of the year back then , do you have Dave Rawlings and the machines cd's they both rippers! My own gigs of late and upcoming are Raised by eagles and lost ragas on austday at the gaso , both were great , then Holy Holy lat friday at the corner ,and they rocked. Can't wait for Calexico at the arts centre in March , then for the biggest gig of the year so far the one and only Died Pretty reformed at MaxWatts on 18th March

It is impossible to describe just how beautiful this gig was. I guess you have to see them to understand. Apart from their own great songs, they did covers of Pocahontas (Neil Young), White Rabbit (Jefferson Airplane), Make me a Pallet on Your Floor (Recorded by them, but Mississippi John Hurt original) She introduced that as a song taught to me by Doc Watson.

Yes, I have both Dave Rawlings Machine CD's. I love them like I love all my Gillian Welch CD's. They never made it over to Perth last time, so this has been a long time coming. I have been tempted to fly over to see The Machine on their East Coast tour, but time is against me. We are going to the States for a trip later this year and will be heading to Nashville, Memphis, Austin, New Orleans so saving my pennies for that.

I don't know Raised by Eagles, but I enjoy Lost Ragas. Lucky Oceans has played them quite a bit on his RN show. I loved Calexico last time they were here and was keen to go again, but because I have already booked other gigs in, I am looking after the little fella that night and the wife is going with her sister.

I saw Died Pretty mid 80s at The Shenton Park Hotel and The Red Parrot a few years later. Great gigs. Not sure that I will make it when they get over here this year. The trip to the States is going to cost a bit !

I saw Diana Krall on Saturday night. I have thought her to be a bit aloof/distant on videos of shows that I have seen of her in the past. It was terrific to see her live and have her display real enthusiasm, chatting away all night between songs. I guess it is easy to think that these people that get on stage for a living are robots and can just turn it on as soon as they get up there.

Musically, it was brilliant. She was accompanied by WASO and a tight quintet with the violinist and guitarist bringing back Stephane Grappelli and Django Reinhardt gypsy swing. Her piano playing was immaculate. She played a Tom Waits song and managed to incorporate a number of different Waits tunes a few lines a time in the middle of solos. She did the same for Bob Dylan tracks. She also played a number of jazz standards with the theme of love (Valentine's Day the next day) and summer.

Fantastic gig.

She was supported by Katie Noonan who was fabulous. She is not everybody's cup of tea and while I would say I am a fan, I am not a fan of all of her recorded work, but she is a terrific talent and the set was beautiful. She is a very relaxed performer and her voice is incredible. I missed Davey Craddock's set.

Sunday afternoon. A free show at the Fremantle Arts Centre with Rob Snarski. He was basically home among friends and mentioned that he had just caught up with an old primary school friend. One of the great voices in Australian music, he played songs from his massive back catalogue which goes back to Chad's Tree and Black Eyed Susans. The highlights were his more recent style of playing covers that fans have requested. The Pulp classic, Babies is magnificent, Fred Neil's Dolphins is beautiful, but the best of all is Merle Haggard's Turning Off a Memory. Great version of a magnificent song.

He is a natural out the front of a crowd. His humour is disarming and often self deprecating. My son went up to him after the gig and explained that he had been listening to him ever since he was born (8 years) and Rob said "Oh, you poor poor, thing !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw San Cisco and Chvrches last Friday at ANU. Had never really listened to either, but Chvrches have a really fun sound and a decent energy to their music. Given it was the end of O-Week I think they captured the mood of the crowd well and capped off a fun night. Might check them out more.

San Cisco on the other hand were pus. How they ever grew out of the 'playing at the local muso pub for $10 cover' phase I'll never know. They have an okay rhythm section (nothing adventurous, but something to work off) but add nothing to it. The mixed vocals between the frontman and drummer sounds pretty cool sometimes, but again, never really gets developed into something interesting. Their music just seems so lifeless and beige. They seemed to just phone it in with the chat too. Admittedly I dislike most gling-glang-guitars sounding indie stuff, but still, if I was ever to be converted that night would've been it.

****ing stoked Cog announced a comeback in July. Managed to score tickets too!

Saw San Cisco and Chvrches last Friday at ANU. Had never really listened to either, but Chvrches have a really fun sound and a decent energy to their music. Given it was the end of O-Week I think they captured the mood of the crowd well and capped off a fun night. Might check them out more.

San Cisco on the other hand were pus. How they ever grew out of the 'playing at the local muso pub for $10 cover' phase I'll never know. They have an okay rhythm section (nothing adventurous, but something to work off) but add nothing to it. The mixed vocals between the frontman and drummer sounds pretty cool sometimes, but again, never really gets developed into something interesting. Their music just seems so lifeless and beige. They seemed to just phone it in with the chat too. Admittedly I dislike most gling-glang-guitars sounding indie stuff, but still, if I was ever to be converted that night would've been it.

******* stoked Cog announced a comeback in July. Managed to score tickets too!
Agree about San Cisco. I don't see the appeal.

Scarlett Stevens, San Cisco's drummer, her parents opened Mojos in Freo (a pretty famous little music venue) and are booking agents for basically every big WA band. That's how they made it.

Busy week last week.

Beach House @ 170 Russell - Got in for free courtesy of the DIIV guys. They don't sound any different or really have much of a variation in their live show from when I saw them 5 years ago. Left after half an hour. Will always have love for their recorded stuff, but I doubt I'll ever seen them live again.

DIIV @ Corner Hotel - Show started off off slow, but built up perfectly. For someone who who usually has a short attention span at shows this days, I was impressed that they played for a tick under 90 minutes, and 20 songs. It felt like they were only out there for 45. Loved watching Cole's home videos that were playing on the projectors as well.

Laneway - Thanks again to the DIIV guys. Legends. Free PIP ticket. Enjoyed my self more then I was expecting. DIIV/HEALTH/GRIMES + PURITY RING were all excellent. Crowd watching at Laneway is hilarious.

I'm hoping to catch The Sword next Sunday at Cherry (50-50 at this stage)

March 5 - Clutch at The Forum

March 24 - Endless Boogie at The Curtin (hopefully they'll do another Melbourne show as well)

April - Black Sabbath

Saw The Necks last night.

Amazing band. Piano, bass and drums. A 75 minute improvisation that was mellow at times, melodic at times, industrial at times. Always hypnotic and mesmerizing. Seen them 4 times now. They never disappoint. Simply incredible musicians.

Neil Murray (of Warumpi Band fame) is finally back in Perth in a week. Playing at the Fly By Night too which is great as it's BYO because they still don't have a liquor licence for their new venue in Freo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your upcoming gigs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back