Traded Zach Tuohy [traded to Geelong with 2017 2nd rd pk for Smedts, 2017 1st rd pk and pick 63]

Remove this Banner Ad

Then you have to find a player. I think Blues rather players than picks as Cats picks are not very appealing to anyone

We dont really. We will offer picks which eventually will be accepted.

Carlton are damned if they do damned if they don't. I have read on BF 1000's of times by so many "experts" that we need to rebuild. Get rid of the old players for picks and start again. The club has been criticised in the past of purchasing the big name saviour. What do you suggest "list manager" we should do? Obviously you must of been involved in the resurgence of the cats into a power house back in the early 2000's. Please enlighten me on what we should do. Did the cats move anyone on to gain more picks?

Cats moved a bunch of guys on over that period.

Mansfield, Bizzell and Colbert trades netted us Enright, Chapman, Mooney and James Kelly. It also helped that we had a ripper draft in 2001 where we got Ablett F/S, S.J in the 2nd round and Bartel in the 1st. I'm not a list managing guru but what Geelong did is their for all to see. I think Hawthorn did similar in the mid 2000's as did the Doggies more recently.

Well, its a pretty ordinary way to treat players.

Deliberately lowball senior players, in order to get them to seek other options, and then hopefully reap high draft picks when they leave. Then if no one wants to give you overs in deals - which effectively forces the player to stay at Carlton - make an increased offer (closer to what they actually deserve) to the now disgruntled and "used" player that in the knowledge that they have to really take it, and play out the years with all that terrible blood poisoning the relationship.

That is the scenario we were presented from a Blues poster on how they operate.

I say it is very, very poor.
Straight over your head. My point being that cats moved blokes, low balled players on contracts all in the name of getting more picks in the draft. And the cats did it brilliantly, a blue print for all other clubs. Hawks followed your lead, dogs have done it, saints are trying their hand at it too. Whether it's subtle or ruthless the objective is the same. I respect it and think it's the best way of building a list to challenge year after year. Then once you do that you can entice players from clubs struggling and sell them the opportunity of playing for a flag.
So I'll ask you again, what should we do? It's easy to post a comment that it's ordinary by the blues to try and move blokes on. But what you seemed to have forgotten is that once upon a time cats took the ruthless approach coupled with some great f/s and built your list the same way into one of the great sides of the modern era. Don't be a hypocrite when another club chooses the same path.

Cats moved a bunch of guys on over that period.

Mansfield, Bizzell and Colbert trades netted us Enright, Chapman, Mooney and James Kelly. It also helped that we had a ripper draft in 2001 where we got Ablett F/S, S.J in the 2nd round and Bartel in the 1st. I'm not a list managing guru but what Geelong did is their for all to see. I think Hawthorn did similar in the mid 2000's as did the Doggies more recently.
That's the point I was getting at.

Straight over your head. My point being that cats moved blokes, low balled players on contracts all in the name of getting more picks in the draft. And the cats did it brilliantly, a blue print for all other clubs. Hawks followed your lead, dogs have done it, saints are trying their hand at it too. Whether it's subtle or ruthless the objective is the same. I respect it and think it's the best way of building a list to challenge year after year. Then once you do that you can entice players from clubs struggling and sell them the opportunity of playing for a flag.
So I'll ask you again, what should we do? It's easy to post a comment that it's ordinary by the blues to try and move blokes on. But what you seemed to have forgotten is that once upon a time cats took the ruthless approach coupled with some great f/s and built your list the same way into one of the great sides of the modern era. Don't be a hypocrite when another club chooses the same path.

I don't think Geelong low balled on any contracts and then refuse to trade players. Distinctly remember club officials being livid to see our captain go (Colbert)

Cats
35 or 38, 2017 second out Touhy, Lids in
Tigers
27, Lids out Caddy, 2017 second in
Dogs
Hrovat out 27 in
Blues
Touhy out Hrovat 38 in

Cats
35 or 38, 2017 second out Touhy, Lids in
Tigers
27, Lids out Caddy, 2017 second in
Dogs
Hrovat out 27 in
Blues
Touhy out Hrovat 38 in

Geelong are giving up roughly 1100 points with their two picks and getting back 703. But press have reported both teams agree Caddy is worth more than Deledio.

Take out the future 2nd and it's pretty close to what it will be IMO on the Deledio/Geelong side. Geelong I reckon might give 27 for Touhy plus a late pick.

Geelong are giving up roughly 1100 points with their two picks and getting back 703. But press have reported both teams agree Caddy is worth more than Deledio.

Take out the future 2nd and it's pretty close to what it will be IMO on the Deledio/Geelong side. Geelong I reckon might give 27 for Touhy plus a late pick.

Yeah that 2017 second from Geelong might be a bit much

I don't think Geelong low balled on any contracts and then refuse to trade players. Distinctly remember club officials being livid to see our captain go (Colbert)
And Carlton aren't livid to see Gibbs go. Not letting him go and getting his perceived worth a totally different things. You can't be certain that you didn't lowball. Apparently Tuohy has been offered $300k per year for 3 years. Hardly low balling. I would think the offers from other clubs is not to dissimilar.

Blues have plenty of space on salary cap to make Zach happy and add the additional year on his contract.

We just need him to be more flexible to play wing/half forward more as our running half back stocks are solidified with depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Geelong want tuohy they'll get it done.

They have a history of being great to deal with..
They do have a history of doing well in this period, no doubt, but I'm not sure about this one.
Potentially just don't have the currency to land Tuohy. They don't seem overly motivated to move other guys in order to get it either.

They do have a history of doing well in this period, no doubt, but I'm not sure about this one.
Potentially just don't have the currency to land Tuohy. They don't seem overly motivated to move other guys in order to get it either.

Disappointing if true that Lang rejected a move to Carlton.

He's a guy Geelong apparently were ok with trading for Tuohy and someone we want...

He agrees to join Carlton and this trade would be done by now.

Disappointing if true that Lang rejected a move to Carlton.

He's a guy Geelong apparently were ok with trading for Tuohy and someone we want...

He agrees to join Carlton and this trade would be done by now.

Sorry mate, but i don't blame him. I would rather live in the city i've grown up in and have a pretty good chance of playing finals the next 3 years than.... sorry to say.... cellar dwellers for the next 2-3 at least. It's reality with Gen Y or X or whatever they are called now...

Sorry mate, but i don't blame him. I would rather live in the city i've grown up in and have a pretty good chance of playing finals the next 3 years than.... sorry to say.... cellar dwellers for the next 2-3 at least. It's reality with Gen Y or X or whatever they are called now...

No i dont blame him or anything...i can totally see why he would want to stay at Geelong for the reasons you mentioned.

Just disappointing for us as we would like to have him, and the trade would be done instead of us waiting anxiously of the outcome!

I don't blame him either but if he doesn't crack it for a regular starting spot pretty soon he might wonder what might have been.

I don't blame him either but if he doesn't crack it for a regular starting spot pretty soon he might wonder what might have been.

That's true... But considering who he is battling for a spot in the Midfield rotation...
Danger, JoelJ, Duncan, Caddy, Guthrie, Blicavs, ScottS, Menegola, Motlop...
He'll have to really improve, which is good for us in a round about way.

We didn't. That's my answer re Geelong's process.

How players are dealt with is an important issue. You can do it openly, with class, thinking about both the players and the club and their needs. Or you can rip your own players off and treat them badly as it seems (according to Carlton fans posting) to be the way the Blues are doing it.

Again, that approach is very poor.

Last edited:
We didn't. That's my answer re Geelong's process.

How players are dealt with is an important issue. You can do it openly, with class, thinking about both the players and the club and their needs. Or you can rip your own players off and treat them badly as it seems (according to Carlton fans posting) to be the way the Blues are doing it.

Again, that approach is very poor.
Who have we ripped off? Names?

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Zach Tuohy [traded to Geelong with 2017 2nd rd pk for Smedts, 2017 1st rd pk and pick 63]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back