Game Day 2023 AFL Draft - The Late Male Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean that's shithousery of the highest order that Ben gets to the Weags then, and they didn't have to give up a pick for him. Our club is cursed.
It was his choice. As I said he had three options. Obviously he had his sights on the Eaagles.If we complained, then Geelong obviously had the same right to complain.
Nothing untoward went on, just his option was them and not us.
But... with what ensued... were we better off? Or could we have stopped what happened!
I don't think we could have done as bad as the Eagles, but not sure we could have stopped it happening.Was happening before he went to the Eagles, they just didn't stop it.

I think it's because the rule we are all thinking of didn't actually exist in 1995. It was only codified later (I have an idea much later, in the 2000's)
I think he was only eligible for Fremantle because he was playing WAFL for East Fremantle. Your right that the alignment stuff changed again later after Peel came into the competition.

The quickest and easiest way for new clubs would be to have foundation players, who play 1 game, eligible.
The problem with Freo when we started is unrealistically we attempted to be competitive with f-all concessions from the AFL and we fielded a mid aged WAFL team…
That’s where we got reamed - if only we had the luxury of being irrelevant for years like the Suns, GWS and the Bears - they saw the stuff up and Port immediately became a powerhouse -
mostly credit to Port who annexed their players and brainwashed them young

It would get worse when you start including players who moved from wafl clubs to play in the VFL and then their sons go to the Victorian AFL side

We very nearly got Tom Mitchell this way IIRC. But of course we were never going to….

We tried to trade into the first round to get Tholstrup according to Duffield
Read that on Freo website as well. We reportedly had a crack at Curtin as well. Reading ESpN there were numerous teams that did:
WCE (F1), Freo (F1), Melb (F1), North (two picks in teens), Essendon (9 & 31) and of course Adelaide. They wanted to retain and improve position of other picks in current draft.

Interesting from Code- who’s Patrick Voss ?

Fremantle Dockers to make SSP call on former Essendon key position player as Jeremy Sharp news confirmed
The Dockers will look to add size to their attack by turning to a former Bombers rookie in the SSP, writes MARK DUFFIELD and PAUL AMY.
Mark Duffield and Paul Amy
November 22, 2023 8:54 pm
Former Essendon rookie Patrick Voss has emerged as a potential SSP selection for Fremantle and is expected to join the Dockers for summer training.
And the Dockers are set to confirm one of football’s worst kept secrets, with former Sun Jeremy Sharpabout to join them in coming days as an SSP rookie pick.
Voss, a 194 centimetre key position player with natural aggression would add some size and physical maturity to the Dockers attack if he gets the nod. Youngster Jye Amiss had to carry the load in the Dockers attack in 2023, Matt Taberner has had injury issues for much of his career and played just four games in 2023 before having back surgery.
Josh Corbett, who joined the Dockers from Gold Coast after 36 games with the Suns, is set to miss the entire 2024 season after hip surgery and the club has declared the Nathan Fyfe forward experiment over, with the dual Brownlow Medallist expected to play as a hybrid between midfield and attack if he gets his body right for 2024.
Voss kicked 30 goals for Essendon’s VFL team this season.
Meanwhile, Sharp, who was delisted by the Suns after notifying them of his preference to return to Perth, has dodged having to navigate the draft process by reaching agreement with the Dockers on a two-year deal.
The hard-running wingman shapes as cover for the loss of Liam Henry, who left Fremantle to join St Kilda in the 2023 trade period.
He had played 23 games over three seasons until the end of 2022 and almost joined the Dockers via a trade but Fremantle turned their attention to getting Jaeger O’Meara in as cover for the retired David Mundy and the trade fell through.
Sharp fell from favour at the Suns and while he played in their VFL premiership team, filling a variety of roles, he played no AFL football this year.
The Dockers are expected to have a number of players join them for training over summer, with executive football manager Peter Bell saying on Wednesday they were still finalising names but were planning a mix of teenagers overlooked in the draft and mature aged prospects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was his choice. As I said he had three options. Obviously he had his sights on the Eaagles.If we complained, then Geelong obviously had the same right to complain.
Nothing untoward went on, just his option was them and not us.
But... with what ensued... were we better off? Or could we have stopped what happened!
I don't think we could have done as bad as the Eagles, but not sure we could have stopped it happening.Was happening before he went to the Eagles, they just didn't stop it.
Get it was his choice, but my question is why WC was given to Ben as an option in the first place given Bryan played for a WAFL club aligned to us and for Geelong. It's like if Nick Daicos said "I know my dad played for Collingwood but I support Carlton so I'm going to play for them instead".

What ensued is a whole other story.

Odin Jones would be an odd choice. There are 14 players on our list that are over 195cm and would be considered KPP or ruck. It's a lot. Checking through the good sides and most of them seem to be around the 10-12 mark, and that often includes mobile/undersized KPP (e.g. Mihocek and Murphy at the Pies). Even the Bulldogs who people say have too much tall timber are only at 12.
Lol what ?

You ve never stopped complaining we have to many small players on our list…now we have too many tall players!??

Pick a side will ya! 😉

Fremantle Dockers to make SSP call on former Essendon key position player as Jeremy Sharp news confirmed
The Dockers will look to add size to their attack by turning to a former Bombers rookie in the SSP, writes MARK DUFFIELD and PAUL AMY.
Former Essendon rookie Patrick Voss has emerged as a potential SSP selection for Fremantle and is expected to join the Dockers for summer training.
And the Dockers are set to confirm one of football’s worst kept secrets, with former Sun Jeremy Sharpabout to join them in coming days as an SSP rookie pick.
Voss, a 194 centimetre key position player with natural aggression would add some size and physical maturity to the Dockers attack if he gets the nod. Youngster Jye Amiss had to carry the load in the Dockers attack in 2023, Matt Taberner has had injury issues for much of his career and played just four games in 2023 before having back surgery.
Josh Corbett, who joined the Dockers from Gold Coast after 36 games with the Suns, is set to miss the entire 2024 season after hip surgery and the club has declared the Nathan Fyfe forward experiment over, with the dual Brownlow Medallist expected to play as a hybrid between midfield and attack if he gets his body right for 2024.
Meanwhile, Sharp, who was delisted by the Suns after notifying them of his preference to return to Perth, has dodged having to navigate the draft process by reaching agreement with the Dockers on a two-year deal.
The hard-running wingman shapes as cover for the loss of Liam Henry, who left Fremantle to join St Kilda in the 2023 trade period.
He had played 23 games over three seasons until the end of 2022 and almost joined the Dockers via a trade but Fremantle turned their attention to getting Jaeger O’Meara in as cover for the retired David Mundy and the trade fell through.
Sharp fell from favour at the Suns and while he played in their VFL premiership team, filling a variety of roles, he played no AFL football this year.
The Dockers are expected to have a number of players join them for training over summer, with executive football manager Peter Bell saying on Wednesday they were still finalising names but were planning a mix of teenagers overlooked in the draft and mature aged prospects.

Wouldn’t be surprised if recently delisted GCS forward Brodie McLaughlin is also given opportunity to train with Freo along with slow smaller forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voss was unlucky to be delisted by the bombers, won their vfl b and f, lead their goalscorers this year.

He is probably more in the mould of Corbett though, not too agile and not really kpf height, McLaughlin seems more of the samish too. I reckon they're probably both better than Corbett though but only slightly

I guess if we want more depth but jeez how many talls do we need?

(Fwiw bombers seemingly picked hunter over him, I would have done the same as the bombers, definitely would've taken hunter if available)

Voss was unlucky to be delisted by the bombers, won their vfl b and f, lead their goalscorers this year.

He is probably more in the mould of Corbett though, not too agile and not really kpf height, McLaughlin seems more of the samish too. I reckon they're probably both better than Corbett though but only slightly

I guess if we want more depth but jeez how many talls do we need?

(Fwiw bombers seemingly picked hunter over him, I would have done the same as the bombers, definitely would've taken hunter if available)

Thinking about it a bit more, we are actually almost tall neutral, if you consider we lost Hamling and Benning and picked up Oscar McDonald, Murphy and Jones. Having said that I feel like the Murphy pick was a "taking the guy because we rated him a lot higher" pick, and that is the ultimate difference in the list positions.

I’m nervous we will now trade for Logan mcdonald and have to pay an eye watering price, purely because we have the picks in hand. Sydney will ask for the 3 first rounders. Kinnear beatson is a pain to deal with gives nothing handy.
We will need a damn strong negotiator not to fold to ambit claims if that does happen

He will be out of contract and nobody else will offer more than 2 first round picks, so we have the upper hand. They can let him go to the preseason draft and get nothing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thinking about it a bit more, we are actually almost tall neutral, if you consider we lost Hamling and Benning and picked up Oscar McDonald, Murphy and Jones. Having said that I feel like the Murphy pick was a "taking the guy because we rated him a lot higher" pick, and that is the ultimate difference in the list positions.
While I wouldnt count Benning who was basically a walking delisting after his first preseason, Corbett is effectively delisted so makes up that number

I suppose once you remove Corbett and Tabs we get very light on for KPF depth. Seems like it would have been very nice to get Edwards for free.

Really feel the list is going to be quite unbalanced next year though and some more smalls up front and down back are needed

Apparently next years draft is full of midfielders and short of KPF’s

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

While I wouldnt count Benning who was basically a walking delisting after his first preseason, Corbett is effectively delisted so makes up that number
I’m sure we’ll be making calls on all of Tabs, Corbett, Kuek, Reidy. Based on the regularity of injuries (minus Reidy) to date I wouldn’t be surprised each are gone.

Even if Logan McDonald is traded in, we will be in a position to manage the numbers with a few leaving.

Our lack of F/S success is at least partly self inflicted in that from the first 6 years of our existence (let alone foundation players) only 9 of the players signed reached 100 for the club. Apply that same criteria to Port its 23. Only 3 of our players to have played 100 games are over 50 as of right now. Including them only 7 are over 45. 37 of the 49 players we have on 100+ are under 43 and 29 are under 40.

Here is an interesting question. Let's say the original rule for us of players who played 150 games for East Fremantle, South Fremantle, Perth or Swan Districts prior to 1995 was amended to something fairer like 100 games for these teams prior to 1995 and / or Fremantle combined (and remove the sunset of 2015. That was such bullsh*t). How many more players would we actually have gotten as exclusives:

Dillion O'Reilly (joy)
Ed Allen
Clem Michael
?
They actually did remove the sunset clause. Maurice Rioli Jnr was eligible to us as a South Fremantle father son draftee in 2020, however he choose to play for the team his father actually played for instead.

Ummm.... they do know where he's from... right?

so.... they think that fremantle or Peel thunder doesnt exist? lol

I remember the good old days.

West coast eagles always brought up those poxy slogans "the west is ours"

west-coast-eagles-football-club-membership-card-for-the-year-2001-RA0Y4N.jpg

I remember one of you humble Dockers posters edited one of those famous posters.

Instead of the west is ours... it was edited to...

The west is ours Embarrassed. lol

not suprising, that was made after when the eagles lost a derby. lol

Good times Kram .

You need to be looking at Voss as an oversized flanker. The best, most likely version of him that makes it would be something like Chris Mayne with the physicality and power of Aaron Hamil.

That he happens to be 193/194cm and 94kg I think was his downfall. I think for a lot of guys in this in-between height, life gets too complicated, particularly early in a career and they'd be better off at 188cm. At the shorter height they'd be seen more for what they are than what they could be.

He was a third tall at either end as an 18 yo. He played midfield in his younger days.

He lacks tricks to stand and deliver as a key forward (even though there are quality key forwards at that size and shorter). He's not explosively quick and doesn't have a noteworthy leap. So even though he could score at the lower level you have to query whether he has the game of an AFL KPF.

He went through a patch in the middle of 2023 when he couldn't catch the ball but that was not characteristic of 2022 or his form either side of the bad run in 2023. He's a solid mark but not the type to jump over or stand and deliver in a pack.

He's a former high level junior rugby league player (was tied to GWS academy). It's not that he wasn't a 'footballer', he was playing both sports. I mention the league because when he's not absorbed in trying to be a key forward he does bring a brutal physicality to his game.

He was winning time trials during his first preseason with us. He has good, and possibly very good, running capacity without an explosive burst of speed or great agility.

He's a very nice, long kick of the ball.

I'm convinced there is a player there but that, at least in a first 50 games, that is as a hard working half forward who you could even play as an outnumber up the ground where he'd be really good at throwing his weight around (i.e. the modern version of Aaron Hamill). He may well become a genuine key forward but that is putting the cart before the horse.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back