Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

When you win but you think the wine must have been a bit off.

It's a back-handed compliment but winless teams are putting everything into a strong performance against the Swans as a way to gain instant kudos, some cred for their long suffering fans.

Any team can take any other team* on a good day. We need to be constantly aware of lesser teams having a good crack. Last week we weren't prepared, this week we were.

The break comes at a good time. We can reinforce what works and rethink what doesn't. Work on plan B or polish plan A. Let's not forget that Adams was underdone and we still have Parker, Rampe and Mills to come back.

*Except maybe Carlton, whom the AFL have designated for the Premiership this year, like they did with the Pies last year.

07APR24: Swans Daily Media New

Brilliant. Heeney dishes out a "don't argue" masterclass flooring Harley Reid, then chips a lovely pass to McInerney who drops it, so Heeney cleans that up too.

If we rely too much on Isaac to cover our shortcomings we'll get burned when/if he has an off day (or gets injured). A few of our players need to step up.

Heeney's an exciting player to watch. I'd love to see him win a charlie but we need Gulden and Warner to be taking votes from him.

Let's NOT go the commentator route again please - it throws the entire thread off topic. There's an Opinion Thread here I encourage you to use it.

08APR24: Swans Daily Media New

Lots of Heeney love from Bucks

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone watch 360 and On The Couch? Save me some time and tell me where (if any) the swans talk is.
Close to none. On OTC a very brief mention of Heeney as having started the season quite well. No footage.

And plenty of footage of Reid breaking tackles while they gush over him. Certainly on 360 but I think also on OTC.

Close to none. On OTC a very brief mention of Heeney as having started the season quite well. No footage.

And plenty of footage of Reid breaking tackles while they gush over him. Certainly on 360 but I think also on OTC.
Cool thanks. Will skip.

Don't think I can take more of that Reid stuff.

Yep, most of the chat I've been able to find is on Reid. It's like now they're (media) actually in the same state he's worth a mention. I get it, the game wasn't all that exciting, the Swans didn't thrash them like last time and really the only great highlights as far as they were concerned were Heeney & Reid.

I wasn't sure of the best place to put this, but figured I'd start here and it can get moved if there is a better place for it.

This article says that, according to Champion Data's (possibly flawed) ratings system, the midfield trio having the greatest impact of games over the first month of the season is .... Heeney, Warner, Gulden.

However, it does then go on to look at some stats more associated with inside mids, and there we fair less well. None of that is a surprise to anyone watching our games. The CD ratings love scoreboard impact. That's why our trio rates so highly in their system. But their magic is mostly done once they get the ball out of that first ring of contest. We don't have a Horne-Francis who can burst out of the front of stoppages and generate direct scores at will. (Papley is maybe the closest we have, but his contribution in this department has been down so far this season.)

Of course, we've played almost the entire five games with no Parker, no Mills, no Adams, no Sheldrick. So it's not a surprise that our coal face numbers are midtable. The extent to which we can elevate that aspect of our game will unfold, I guess. Parker and Mills aren't that JHF-type player. They don't have the leg power. I don't think Parker has ever been a great centre bounce midfielder - his strengths come into play more post clearance. Mills is probably the same. I didn't watch Adams enough at Collingwood to have a feel for what a difference he might make for us. But I suspect it is Sheldrick, once his finger mends, he gets fit, and he earns a spot in the senior team, who could be the one to provide a modicum of what Horne-Francis does at centre bounces for Port.

09APR24: Swans Daily Media New

According to Champion Data's AFL Player Ratings points, the stats guru's most definitive system to measure influence on a contest, the Sydney trio of Heeney, Warner and Gulden are currently averaging the most between them.

Heeney himself is averaging 26.6 AFL Player Ratings points per game so far this campaign, clearly the most of any player in the competition, which is a key reason for the Swans leading the way in this category.

Looks like our midfield are going ok after all.

People need to stop fixating on what's going on at the centre bounce.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back