Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

What part of letting Alex Pearce play the best game of his career as a rebounding defender was 'the team things'?

Ken's over-emphasis on 'the team things' wouldn't even be so bad if it wasn't combined with his total misunderstanding of what 'the team things' which help the team actually are (see also McEntee, J)

What part of letting Alex Pearce play the best game of his career as a rebounding defender was 'the team things'?

Ken's over-emphasis on 'the team things' wouldn't even be so bad if it wasn't combined with his total misunderstanding of what 'the team things' which help the team actually are (see also McEntee, J)
And as pointed out by Dunstall for example, there were times when we had no players provide a shepherd, a 'team thing'.

It's very possible that Charlie was arguing to continue to be the main/only target in the forward line despite that drawing the ball to Pearce. Maybe in a rare moment of clarity Ken said, you should draw your player away from the hot spot so the other guys have a better run at it.
Regardless nothing changed so it's likely they were just arguing over whether a fan in the crowd who said ken was useless was entitled to his 2 cents or just white noise

It's concerning that the team seems to be more reliant on Dixon than ever - despite him clearly being hobbled and essentially playing on one leg. Quite frankly I'm sure the doctors could make an argument that he shouldn't be playing at all.

We're only 5 games into a 23 game regular season. How the heck are we supposed to expect Charlie to hold up physically over the next 18 games plus any potential finals if his current workload is replicated the rest of the way? It's simply not sustainable.

It's concerning that the team seems to be more reliant on Dixon than ever - despite him clearly being hobbled and essentially playing on one leg. Quite frankly I'm sure the doctors could make an argument that he shouldn't be playing at all.

We're only 5 games into a 23 game regular season. How the heck are we supposed to expect Charlie to hold up physically over the next 18 games plus any potential finals if his current workload is replicated the rest of the way? It's simply not sustainable.
Ken has never had any interest in whether anything he does is sustainable. Just banks as many early wins as he can to give his manager the best hand to negotiate with for his contract extensions.

So in the post game interview, Dix basically said something to the effect of 'I wanted to be able to do more but Ken wanted me to keep doing the team things'

Bit cryptic but sounds like he wanted to actually maybe try take some marks or kick goals or make a lead even, but stinkers just wanted him to make a contest and bring it to ground?
Sorry Charlie, but you and those of your ilk are the reason why we are still stuck with Hinkley 7 years past his expiry date.

Ken has never had any interest in whether anything he does is sustainable. Just banks as many early wins as he can to give his manager the best hand to negotiate with for his contract extensions.
Ken was definitely talking like he is going to rest Charlie throughout the year.

I wouldn't be surprised if it starts this week. He said something like"we know we only have so many games from Charlie this year"

It also made it sound like he thinks this is Charlie's last year

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not in a contract year so this line of thinking is somewhat redundant. Even more so if you buy into the "unofficial" succession plan with Carr.

Ken was definitely talking like he is going to rest Charlie throughout the year.

I wouldn't be surprised if it starts this week. He said something like"we know we only have so many games from Charlie this year"

It also made it sound like he thinks this is Charlie's last year

Yeah it'll be very interesting to see if what Ken said post game will actually translate to change in terms of Dixon's on field management. Not sure resting him against the reigning premiers on the road when Finlayson is already out is a wise decision though.

I'll be shocked if he tries to play on in 2025 - he's absolutely cooked physically and will be 34 in September. I'm somewhat surprised he went around this year though I suspect it may have been due to being a fail safe in case Georgiades had hiccups returning from his ACL injury.

32 times we targeted Dixon for 2 marks, 2 goals

Epic fail

This stat which was mentioned on Fox Footy's First Crack has been incorrectly interpreted by you. Yes there were 32 targets to Dixon but these included long kicks down the line coming out of defensive 50. It was not solely inside 50 targets.

Nonetheless, his usage rate is way too high.

In 2020 his usage rate was ridiculous and we knew it wasn't sustainable going forward. I'm not sure on the exact numbers but I reckon his usage rate this season would be the highest it has been whilst he's played at Port. Ridiculous for a 33 year old with an ailing physical body.

32 times we targeted Dixon for 2 marks, 2 goals

Epic fail
I reckon I counted nine times in the first qtr but I could be wrong.

I normally don’t take so much notice but because i think he was getting beaten each occasion and yet we still bombed it to him.

When we play good sides, the more we go to him the worse we play

Last edited:
This stat which was mentioned on Fox Footy's First Crack has been incorrectly interpreted by you. Yes there were 32 targets to Dixon but these included long kicks down the line coming out of defensive 50. It was not solely inside 50

I didn't misinterpret anything

I never said solely inside 50 either

He's not in a contract year so this line of thinking is somewhat redundant. Even more so if you buy into the "unofficial" succession plan with Carr.

Yeah it'll be very interesting to see if what Ken said post game will actually translate to change in terms of Dixon's on field management. Not sure resting him against the reigning premiers on the road when Finlayson is already out is a wise decision though.

I'll be shocked if he tries to play on in 2025 - he's absolutely cooked physically and will be 34 in September. I'm somewhat surprised he went around this year though I suspect it may have been due to being a fail safe in case Georgiades had hiccups returning from his ACL injury.

This stat which was mentioned on Fox Footy's First Crack has been incorrectly interpreted by you. Yes there were 32 targets to Dixon but these included long kicks down the line coming out of defensive 50. It was not solely inside 50 targets.

Nonetheless, his usage rate is way too high.

In 2020 his usage rate was ridiculous and we knew it wasn't sustainable going forward. I'm not sure on the exact numbers but I reckon his usage rate this season would be the highest it has been whilst he's played at Port. Ridiculous for a 33 year old with an ailing physical body.
Ken probably thinks we can't beat the reigning premiers anyway so may as well rest Charlie

Dixon is normally able to at least neutralise the contest, what happened on Saturday night was an outlier. Credit to Pearce but not many defenders are 200cm and 100kg and able to legitimately go head to head with Dixon and win. And yet he still kicked 2 goals and was ultimately critical to the win.

Also, people should realise that when Dixon goes they're just going to use Lord in the same role. The idea of some new crafty and slick forward 50 with space everywhere just isn't happening under Hinkley, it's not how he wants to play.

Dixon is normally able to at least neutralise the contest, what happened on Saturday night was an outlier. Credit to Pearce but not many defenders are 200cm and 100kg and able to legitimately go head to head with Dixon and win. And yet he still kicked 2 goals and was ultimately critical to the win.

Also, people should realise that when Dixon goes they're just going to use Lord in the same role. The idea of some new crafty and slick forward 50 with space everywhere just isn't happening under Hinkley, it's not how he wants to play.

Is it an outlier on this years form?

Also, he wasn’t critical to our win, he was detrimental.

Funny how the best our forward line has looked is the times when Dixon is out of the team. The forwards are able to lead for the ball and our mids are not so Dixon focused by bombing it in long.

To an extent, but it doesn't help that Dixon doesn't present as a forward with a lot of forward craft and leading ability, which combined with Hinkley is the perfect recipe.

Funny how the best our forward line has looked is the times when Dixon is out of the team. The forwards are able to lead for the ball and our mids are not so Dixon focused by bombing it in long.

And yet we went 0-5 when he missed the start of 2022.

Dixon is our best key forward. Anyone who believes otherwise is just deluded. Whether he is utilised well is another question but he can't not be in the team, it's an absurd notion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back