Autopsy 2024 Rd 6 Premiership Quarter Blue Blitz hands Giants their first loss

Who played well for the Blues in Round 6 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Walsh.
69 disposals and 26 score involvements in two games. Freak
He's not a freak, just vanilla.

I was amazed at how good GWS were in that first 2.5 qtrs. Their transition down the ground was lethal and they weren't missing any shots. Charlie kicked 4 points from gettable positions and they transitioned straight down their end for a goal on a couple of those.
Giants: 15.8
Crows: 16.4
Lions: 13.8

What this tells me is that we're letting the opposition get the ball out of our attacking 50 far too easily without pressure and then taking it down through an open midfield and forward 50 to take an easy shot at goal around 35m out almost directly in front. Both our forwards and mids need to lift their defensive efforts to lock the ball inside the attacking 50. Realistically you can't stop every easy transition, but you can make it much harder on the opposition to execute by applying plenty of pressure.

Teams such as the Cats, Crows, Lions, Pies, Giants and Saints have built their game plan around transition, because it suits their list. We have a team of bruisers such as Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett, Cerra, Carroll & E.Hollands, which is better suited to a game plan consisting of clearance and contested work. I have no issue with Voss and Hansen wanting to incorporate some transition into our game plan, but by the same token you need to understand your list and develop a game plan that suits them accordingly.

The Cats will kill us if we let them exit the front of the stoppage or exit the back 50 without pressure and cleanly transition the ball down the ground. Cameron and Hawkins will eat us for breakfast if we allow this to happen. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but the Cats are either No.1 or 2 so far this season in scoring from transition.

Best win since last years finals, haven’t played anywhere near our best brand of footy this year until tonight, its been a bit unconvincing so far this year until what we produced last night, besides the first half of the second quarter…
Third quarter was easily our best football we’ve produced this year, Pittonet was huge DeKoning’s best and most influential game, Crippa and Walshy incredible along with Kennedy’s best game for the club…
Entire team effort, many others who deserve a mention, best overall team performance of the year, we found some of our mojo in the way we played last year, it was bloody awesome when we clicked into gear…
Go Baggers 👍
I get the impression the loss to the Crows was perhaps the kick up the arse we needed to jump-start the boys out of some lethargy.

For those here who said we can't play Cripps, Hewett & Kennedy in the same side I want you to cut a lemon in half, cover it in salt and suck on it continuously for the next 30 minutes. Then, and only then, can you reach for the tequila.

Loved that Cowan brought the aggression and attack on the ball that he showed last week in VFL. Looked ready for another go at senior level and proved us right.

Really good team effort and glad we rediscovered our clearance and contested game. Go Blues. :thumbsupv1:
I am one of them. Hand up. Pitto Cripps TDK hewett acres and Kennedy just beat the living shit out of them. Literally just way too tough. So yeah. I was wrong.

Incredible performance, with over half our team missing! Also, we lost Williams after half time and Weitering looked like he could could only compete at 50% due to a corked thigh. This shows monumental depth and a continued belief from our players that we can win from dire situations.

The pressure we applied to GWS, after half time was first class. I too thought two rucks wasn’t going to work for us. How wrong! Pitto’s game was outstanding, as was TDK’s.

Lachie Cowan looks the goods!! Tough as nails, showed composure and has a booming kick! His efforts and skills were first class, particularly in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Incredible games by Cripps (BOG), Walsh, Pitto, Boyd and TDK. Big H and Curnow were on fire when it counted and Kennedy and Hewett played fine games.

O. Hollands (thought should have been dropped before this game) and Durdin showed signs that they are finding some form.

Absolutely wrapped!!!!!!

Lachie Cowan flying the flag :hearteyes::hearteyes:
Watching the VFL last week he stood out as the one that could be promoted to the role required at senior level this week just by the way he went about it and embraced the physicality.

Thought Young showed a bit of calmness at the lower level as well last week, both of them done their job yesterday for the most part.

I never got the same feel watching Binn’s however, didn’t look physically ready or poised enough just yet to make the jump.

Late to the party to add some thoughts! One of the best games I’ve seen Cripps play in a while, absolute top top tier wow. Walsh has been incredible upon return, 26 score involvements in two games? Huge numbers. There needs to be more love for Georgeys game, again, underrated. Backline really turned the screw second half and improved when the whole team lifted, which made sense as our system relied on zone and team defence. Boyd/Newman should be paid their dues. TDK super, Pitto proving doubters wrong. His best for us yet.

Second half was just sensational.
I love this club. Keep bringing the fight boys and next man up. Bring on next Saturday at the G.
George needs his own banner with the cheer squad.

King George the Underrated.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

full credit to Pitto - his best game in 2 years maybe?

It's easy to forget how good his form was shaping just before Darcy intentionally kneed him and busted his PCL.

Finally getting healthy and not having to play on one legs has made a huge difference.

Bloke can play.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Glascott was one of our most underrated players ever. I believe Hollands will be as good if not better, but he's been very average before lately and with a smaller injury list, probably would have been dropped for another. Apart from Fanta, everybody looked like champions last night and his place in the side and his recent output has been worthy of discussion.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the replay this morning. So different to being live and watching with emotion

Obvious point is "Pressure" is the key to our success. The second half of the game showed that.

As I said previosuly we have won 4 games and IMO haven't played that well. No where near our ability
For the first time this year (in the second half) we applied the pressure we did last year and it was awesome

What I was happy with in the first half is we moved the ball better, hit targets and didn't bomb it inside 50 every time we went forward. That was particuarly important playing 3 tall forwards. We also got back to winning clearances which is vital for us

The issue we have is that if we don't apply pressure and win clearances we are a slow side. Give a good opposition the ball and any space and they can carve us up. We simply can't allow it

What is also obvious is that no matter the personnel or structure if we bring full ground pressure we win. It's that simple. We did it yesterday by only doing it for around half a game

We have flaws around leg speed and our small forwards don't offer enough offensively (although better yesterday). What we do well is we run out games. We also need more contributors doing more. Yesterday Cripps & Walsh were incredible and assisted by Hewett & Kennedy. Can't expect that level every week. If we can get 10% more out of both Hollands, Cottrell, Boyd, Durdin etc we will be so much better as they have the skills to hurt sides

Special mention to Acres. His workrate is amazing. He adds so much to our side and saves us on many occassions. I liked Kemp's game as well

The 2 ruck situation will be a watch. It worked well yesterday but never judge on one game. Both were great and TDK kicked goals. It's the first time this has happened. Can we realistically expect it every week and what if one stuggles?

The next month of games will tell us a lot of where we really stand

My gut feel is we can beat anyone but if we can add a bit more class and run and add it to our pressure we will be even better

That's MY take

What do we make of Fanta? 6 touches, no scores and no tackles. Is he just a total shadow of his former self after injuries?
Concerning for sure, 1 kick & 0 tackles…..

In fact 0 tackles between him, Elijah & Charlie….. our forwards certainly have areas that can be improved.

Let the two rucks play out until there's undeniable evidence it doesn't work. The clearance work from Pitto is undeniable, and TDK feeds of it too.

Great win.
Watching the game again, I wonder whether TDK is physically ready to play full time in ruck. His ruck work seems a lot better when he gets more of a break.

I didn’t really have a real opinion about 1 v 2 rucks but that was a dominant performance against a good midfield. I think that structure has to continue until it’s not working.

Back