Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri - has signed a 4 year contract extension to the end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think anyone’s arguing that Xerri is single-handedly responsible for our poor clearance rate lately, are they?

The midfielders have been making X’s job harder than it needs to be.
There were also plenty who didn't grade Goldstein as soft or ineffective but that wouldn't suit a sweeping summation.

The problem with some of us when expecting player development is we want everything all at once and now!

If you had have told me at the end of last season that Xerri would be playing at a level this year where he can halve the contest in the ruck consistently and stand up when it counts, I would have taken it without doubt. He has exceeded my expectations so far.

I'm sure the other stuff will continue to improve over time as he refines his craft.

If he keeps popping up and taking some of those grabs outside the forward fifty and a few shots at goal. Yeah, I’ll say I’m really, really impressed.
But he has been in the system for a while now. I actually expect him to be a bit more switched on and trying to tap it to his mids advantage. And if he can’t, at the very least, pull them up and tell them to ****ing move their arses.
Not as glamours review as others, but seems like cement hands at tap outs

That is a good analysis but I think blaming it on X is misguided.

Having a look at the still

View attachment 1961843

Rick attributes much of the blame to Xerri's positioning. To me that is the least of the issues here. How could X have been positioned and where could he hit the ball that would be to our advantage? Geelong own all the dangerous space. The best he could do is grab the footy or hit it to his feet.
Thats LDU’s space.. good to see a holding the man FK paid there 🤦‍♂️

That is a good analysis but I think blaming it on X is misguided.

Having a look at the still

View attachment 1961843

Rick attributes much of the blame to Xerri's positioning. To me that is the least of the issues here. How could X have been positioned and where could he hit the ball that would be to our advantage? Geelong own all the dangerous space. The best he could do is grab the footy or hit it to his feet.

He does try to take possession in the ruck too much imo.

He does try to take possession in the ruck too much imo.
This is a good tempering point. I strongly agree with the calls that his numbers are being used to overrate him. Even if he doubled Goldstein's 2011 numbers, I know what a high footy IQ player looks like vs one that isn't.

But this is just discussion at this point in time. He's young in ruck terms and as you say can improve his dynamics. He plays with a physicality which is great to watch, potential fan favourite. Maybe a viable 2nd ruck might emerge too - a Luke Jackson or Majak Daw type - to give opponents a completely different style to counter. That would only enhance Xerri's contribution. CCJ playing relief ruck just gave opponents a stiffer, slower version of Xerri to compete against.

Despite all the current state critique I'd give him a 3 year deal to make sure we have a senior yet still developing ruck locked away.

Just don't come up with random stats to imply he's tracking with Goldstein, Gawn, Cox or Polly Farmer in any fashion.

It’s probably more likely that it’s a midfield structure setup that X and the mids are still in the development phase of.

If that’s the case then I get it, and the coaches wouldn’t scrap it if they’re thinking long term, which they most likely are.

It’s probably more likely that it’s a midfield structure setup that X and the mids are still in the development phase of.

If that’s the case then I get it, and the coaches wouldn’t scrap it if they’re thinking long term, which they most likely are.
Apparently during virtual modelling including Tristan performing hitouts in an augmented reality setting it works brilliantly.

But requires a midfield of Ablett Jr, Peter Matera and Greg Williams to execute.

If our midfield requires someone with Goldstein's level of tap work to be effective then we're in real trouble.

Midfielders don't need an amazing ruck to win premierships. Just ask Collingwood and Geelong with guys like Cameron, Cox, Stanley and Blicavs.

You just need a midfield with poise and can win the ball irrespective of the ruck dominance. As long as Xerri contests and doesn't get done we're good.

Xerri is a physical ruck hellbent on trying to hold his own despite his limitations which is all we can ask of him until improvement comes from both him and the midfield. This is pretty much his first season as first choice ruck without injuries setting him back. Let's get behind him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t change Big Footy.

The amount of b*tching on here over the last four years about how weak as piss Goldstein is in the contest and how un-physical he was…

We now have the physical ruck you wanted, and you are turning on him like a pack of wolves despite his weaknesses being known from the outset.

Just baffling…
I loved and rated Goldstein.
You are right the band-aid had to be ripped off and Goldi had to be replaced but I don't think anyone ever said X is the ruck we wanted.
Its just what we have.

Xerri's endeavour has never been in doubt. Not once since he's been on the list. His ruck craft however, particularly centre bounces, is at the heart of our stodgy clearance work atm.

It's like the last minute of a game when a team is trying to hang on to a 1pt lead... the ruck deliberately taps the ball to his feet so a swarm of players can clog it up and create repeat stoppages. If we do win a clearance it's often a hack, whereas oppo are keeping an extra on the outside and and whisking it away with ease.

I'd rather he just belt it forward Clark Keating style tbh, at least open it up.

Last edited:
his individual game has been solid but his chemistry with his midfield needs a lot of work
Needs to change up his playing method. His ruckwork isn’t helping our midfield because he either grabs it or hits it to his feet.

Can’t fault the endeavour, but if this midfield ever becomes blue chip, that style of ruck work will actually suit the opposition. Today with players like Newcombe and Worpel the last thing we should have been doing was turn it into a slog in the trenches, which is exactly the way it played out with X’s ruck work.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back