Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

We evened up the clearances somewhat. Will was a big part of that, little knock ons etc. that don't get a stat but he helped us win the ball out of the middle a little more than we have previously. On a ****ing horrible, dire, bleak, dark, desperate, rock-bottom day - I will have much more fun at the funeral I'm attending this week – Will was a small positive. Imo.

We evened up the clearances somewhat. Will was a big part of that, little knock ons etc. that don't get a stat but he helped us win the ball out of the middle a little more than we have previously. On a ******* horrible, dire, bleak, dark, desperate, rock-bottom day - I will have much more fun at the funeral I'm attending this week – Will was a small positive. Imo.

He also actually tried to prevent the opposition getting the clearance when they dominated the other two.

He was ok. Needs to find the pill more, but I'd be giving Powell a rest and having Will and Wardlaw for a more defensive midfield setup.

Tier 37 for mine :p

Glad he kept his spot, he needs to show a lot more, but Wardlaw should make his job easier.
Fingers crossed for Will & us.

From next season I hope our midfield is LDU/Wardlaw/Simpkin/ McKercher then one of Powell or Phillips.

But we may have a Smillie join us, so I still feel Phillips won't be with us in 2025, and it may well be his decision to leave.

Glad he kept his spot, he needs to show a lot more, but Wardlaw should make his job easier.

From next season I hope our midfield is LDU/Wardlaw/Simpkin/ McKercher then one of Powell or Phillips.

But we may have a Smillie join us, so I still feel Phillips won't be with us in 2025, and it may well be his decision to leave.
He’s too one paced Accurate. And God help him when the opposition win clearance & spread ?! … AFL is too quick for him .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The continuous issue NM have is exactly what you mention 'Wardlaw should make his job easier', should damn well be the other way around.

He’s too one paced Accurate. And God help him when the opposition win clearance & spread ?! … AFL is too quick for him .
Surely he's not the slowest player to play in the midfield in the AFL this season?

Will needs a run of games at the level. He has never had that. Get some development and confidence into him and then we can evaluate after that point.
He had a run of games last year and did really well.
But apparently, he is not good defensively on the spread and for that reason, despite the many good things he does, he was banished to rot in the VFL.
I wish the coaching group would stop focusing on what Wil does wrong, and what he is bloody good at!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back