Autopsy Loss to Sydney - quite literally no words will adequately sum this up

Remove this Banner Ad

Na, thats not a 50. He's moving out of the protected area after the mark is taken.

Mav there was a moment in the last qtr when our player marked the ball and then stepped back off the markn as a team mate ran between him and the Sydney player on the mark while his opponent got caught out a bit and interfered slightly with the switch kick into the corridor. There were calls for 50, which I accept is not necessarily correct, but the in board kick was marked by our player and should have been awarded. Instead, the umpire called the kick back. What the hell was that all about? Okay, don't award the 50, but why does the ball have to come back? There was no interference with the player on the mark and you are allowed to run between the player with the ball and the player on the mark, are you not?

As I said before, just imagine if it was Sydney that had done the breach and they rotate a tall forward off for a small forward. That small forward goes to the stoppage and snaps the winning goal, for us to find out after we lost that that guy shouldn’t have been on the field. Peoples heads would explode.
Were not the umpires advised immediately the breach happened? If so then that scenario could not have occurred. If in the unlikely event that it did then the game should have been referred to the state it was in before the breach occurred. I'm not saying there should be no penalty it just doesn't seem that it fits the crime compared to what it was initially introduced for.

Took my girls to a North game for the first time (oldest is 3.5 and youngest 11 months). We went with another family from America who we have helped convert into North supporters. Tbh I gave my girls about half-time before losing interest and leaving, but full credit to them, we stayed the entire game. My oldest was initially scared of the noise but ended up loving it, and was having so much fun chanting "North Melbourne!" and clapping.

The kangaroo mascots also played a part in entertaining particularly my oldest, who was super happy to get to high five one of them. She kept asking where the kangaroos went when the game resumed. Auskick and the random half-time entertainment that I'd normally not notice was really great for when you bring the family.

North played pulsating footy. I wasn't aware of the 23 minute mark applause for Clarko, which was super classy. I was aware of when Georgie Wardlaw came on to loud applause from the supporters. Was a great moment, and he certainly didn't disappoint! The 5 straight goals from the end of the 3rd to the 4th to lead by 16 was electrifying stuff.

The ending obviously sucked. The North supporters were already pretty frustrated with the umpiring throughout the game, but were livid with the ending. Like, I'd never seen our supporters so angry in my life. We sat on Level 1, and for a moment, I was a bit worried for the kids and my wife with all of the bottles and other projectiles thrown onto the ground. Watching from the ground, I had absolutely no idea how or why the free kick was paid. It was extraordinary, something I'd never seen ever in an AFL game.

What was nice after that debacle was that they let the fans onto the ground afterwards. That was cool for the kids to experience.

Interestingly, bringing my family to the game mellowed me out - I think I would have been 100x more emotional if I had gone without the kids. The ending wasn't deserved but at the same time we had our chances to kill the game and didn't capitalise. But the more encouraging sign, and the biggest thing that I took away, was that I saw a promising, exciting young team that played with intensity and hardness. And they were the better team that day against a far more experienced team that made the grand final just last year.

Mav there was a moment in the last qtr when our player marked the ball and then stepped back off the markn as a team mate ran between him and the Sydney player on the mark while his opponent got caught out a bit and interfered slightly with the switch kick into the corridor. There were calls for 50, which I accept is not necessarily correct, but the in board kick was marked by our player and should have been awarded. Instead, the umpire called the kick back. What the hell was that all about? Okay, don't award the 50, but why does the ball have to come back? There was no interference with the player on the mark and you are allowed to run between the player with the ball and the player on the mark, are you not?
dont remember it. Got a time stamp?

Were not the umpires advised immediately the breach happened? If so then that scenario could not have occurred. If in the unlikely event that it did then the game should have been referred to the state it was in before the breach occurred. I'm not saying there should be no penalty it just doesn't seem that it fits the crime compared to what it was initially introduced for.
The penalty seems to have been a pretty good deterrent as no one as done it before. And my guess is that no one will do again for a very long time.

The penalty seems to have been a pretty good deterrent as no one as done it before. And my guess is that no one will do again for a very long time.
The penalty was devised for blatant cheating. That wasn't cheating!

The penalty was devised for blatant cheating. That wasn't cheating!
Not sure that's a sensible argument. A lot of penalties are for blatant cheating but frees are given when it's just a mistake. eg, throwing the ball, push in the back, and deliberate out of bounds.

And do you really want someone on the sidelines deciding what is blatant cheating and what isn't? Just adds more grey area into our game, and that's not what we want.

Not sure that's a sensible argument. A lot of penalties are for blatant cheating but frees are given when it's just a mistake. eg, throwing the ball, push in the back, and deliberate out of bounds.

And do you really want someone on the sidelines deciding what is blatant cheating and what isn't? Just adds more grey area into our game, and that's not what we want.
OK I accept that, but you can be sure that if this happened to Collingwood there would have been an AFL investigation and the rule would have been changed by now!

For one of our set shots on goal (to the right of screen for those who were watching at home) the left goal post was wobbling tremendously. Was there some pushing and a player collided with it?

I just assumed it was a couple on inventive Sydney defenders cheating the game again.
That was Simpkins first goal. Swan defence certainly caused that post to wobble. I was going to mention it but Mav would think I have a grudge against ****ing umpires.

That was Simpkins first goal. Swan defence certainly caused that post to wobble. I was going to mention it but Mav would think I have a grudge against ******* umpires.
mate, grudge away if you want. AFL umpiring is at all time low but it's not the umps fault its the AFL's fault.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strangely, I didn't pick up watching live that Parker was BOG. Probably focused on us too much.

He's a very good player so probably earned it, just surprised I don't recall him for more than a couple of cameos.
Parker was very good. In everything. I think he had close to 20 contested possessions.

Parker was very good. In everything. I think he had close to 20 contested possessions.
Ooof. Umpires department was absolutely robbed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back