Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Yea because you need to use top 10 picks to get good tall forward prospects, or get lucky with f/s or academy picks. Which has been explained many times over the years but ya don't farken listen

Go through the lineups after J.Brown, Lloyd, Pavlich, Riewoldt, Neitz, Cloke, Lloyd, Fev, Hall, etc. retired and its a revolving door of players you forgot existed.

We've done better than most squeezing value out of Westhoff, Marshall and Georgiades as well as turning Schulz career around.

Better than most? Christ. Okay. Better than most he thinks.

In that case you should be able to name 9 clubs who we've done better than at developing key forwards in the last 25 years. Hell, name 3 other clubs.

Westhoff absolutely doesn't count, he's a tall utility or flanker and playing him as a genuine KPF held us back massively. And he was also pick 71 in the draft so apparently he can't possibly be a good KPF anyway by your own metric.

Dixon cops it because he hasn't just remained silent on Ken, but he's actively attacked the supporters. So sorry, you don't get the benefit of being at the mercy of the shithouse plan from the guy you're defending. He's made his bed.

I'm happy for people to pot Dixon for those comments but the important thing to remember is that he's a dumbass footballer who has been gaslit the same way the happy clappers have into believing that the strategy is sound.

I've often said it, but Charlie Dixon cost himself at a minimum 100 career goals by coming to Port. Probably closer to 200 at this point.

Form is temporary, my main concern with Marshall is his mentality.

If by some miracle Port make a grand final before he retires, I just don’t see him standing up and delivering on the big stage. And by delivering I don’t mean kicking a bag of goals, I mean kicking 2-3 set shots from gettable positions.

Better than most? Christ. Okay. Better than most he thinks.

In that case you should be able to name 9 clubs who we've done better than at developing key forwards in the last 25 years. Hell, name 3 other clubs.

Westhoff absolutely doesn't count, he's a tall utility or flanker and playing him as a genuine KPF held us back massively. And he was also pick 71 in the draft so apparently he can't possibly be a good KPF anyway by your own metric.
Since 2010 we've had

Schulz 275 goals
Dixon 250+
Westhoff 227
Marshall 148 and still going
Georgiades still going

Compare to most other clubs

Hipwood (academy pick) is the tall with the most goals for Brisbane over the last 15 years
Collingwoods is still Travis Cloke (father/son)
etc.

Yep leave out Westhoff who kicked more goals than any Brisbane, Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne or Dogs player over 10 seasons. Makes sense.

Westhoff averaged 1.1 goals a game over a long career and hit 30 goals in a season twice. He didn't play like a key forward at all, he was a tall utility or flanker.

Counting him means you're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

If you can count Westhoff surely Brett Ebert gets counted
Played more like a tall forward than the Hoff

Westhoff averaged 1.1 goals a game over a long career and hit 30 goals in a season twice. He didn't play like a key forward at all, he was a tall utility or flanker.

Counting him means you're scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Thats the point hes not very good. We're scraping the bottom of the barrell because there arent many good key talls. He would have been the highest goalkicker of the 2010s for 5 other teams plugging holes around the ground.

Since 2010 we've had

Schulz 275 goals
Dixon 250+
Westhoff 227
Marshall 148 and still going
Georgiades still going
We didn't develop Schulz or Dixon and Westhoff isn't a key forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being selected at Pick #16 probably doesn’t help Todd’s cause, but he’s never going to become the player we were all hoping for. He’s got the skills, but lacks the urgency, self motivation & hardness to become a consistently good AFL forward.

Tbf Schulz had a massive turnaround at Port. He was on the scrapheap at that point in his career.

Dixon however was hot property when he came to us fresh off a career best season.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Thats the point hes not very good. We're scraping the bottom of the barrell because there arent many good key talls. He would have been the highest goalkicker of the 2010s for 5 other teams plugging holes around the ground.

Only according to your very arbitrary measure. Westhoff would also go pretty close to playing the most games in the league over your specific defined period. Westhoff did other stuff that made him a good player but that's basically my point. He wasn't a key forward. He averaged 1.1 goals per game. John Butcher averaged more goals per game.

So two more times than Daniel McStay has?

I'm not sure what point you're making. A 3rd banana key type forward who played half his career as a defender?

Since his concussions he had backed off from contests quite a bit. Lets hope he gets over that.

Last year our club decided to play him injured in the back half of last season when he couldn't even kick 40m and dropped form which hasn't returned.

He can be a very good player but is horrible out of form and effort, needs to be dropped.

That said, I find it amazing how many here just suddenly jump on the Todd is a shit player bandwagon.

Marshall is basically a tall guy with the skill set of a midfielder.

He has a fantastic field kick that can pinpoint 50 metres passes on the lead but on an angle.
He is a very good mark.
He is a good mark on the lead. He use to be really good but he doesn't get that as much.
He is a very good decision maker.
He is a good kick for goal.
He's a natural footballer who is exceptionally creative for a big man. I would say this is one of his biggest strengths.

He is not the best contested mark but can take one on occasion.

He should be running around like a gazelle at the F50 being the link up between the midfield and defence and hitting leads into the F50 or dumping off to the running midfielders for easy goals.

He is being underused by Bottom 10 Ken in the worst possible way.

He has a fantastic field kick that can pinpoint 50 metres passes on the lead but on an angle.
He is a very good mark.
He is a good mark on the lead. He use to be really good but he doesn't get that as much.
He's a natural footballer who is exceptionally creative for a big man. I would say this is one of his biggest strengths.

He should be running around like a gazelle at the F50 being the link up between the midfield and defence and hitting leads into the F50 or dumping off to the running midfielders for easy goals.

He's isn't a very good mark in any situation.

he drops marks almost at the same rate as lachie jones

we are going nowhere with a bloke with his attitude. He's borderline uncompetitive in some games and that has to be a minimum for any player.

Hes one of the most infuriating players in the team. Have a ****ing crack for **** sake.

Should have been dropped after the saints game, currently he's being gifted games.

He is a very good mark.

Normally he runs around like a gazelle and attacks the ball like a gazelle. Not since game 2 has he been running around like a gazelle. And in the last two games he has been marking like a gazelle.

His marking technique on a lead sucks. He never fully extends his arms.

There was nothing to stop him roaming around at the F50 against the Crows and playing a Tom Lynch role. IIRC he played his opponent from behind all night.

He had one season where his goalkicking accuracy was above average, 62%. Without that season his career average would be 51.5% As it is his Career average is 54.4. And that is, well, average.

He has the least contested marks and the least contested possessions per game of all our tall forwards, even Finlayson. He seems to lack competitiveness. He rarely really attacks the ball. He always has this air of letting the ball come to him.

So this is you being objective about both Dixon and Marshall huh???

There was nothing to stop him roaming around at the F50 against the Crows and playing a Tom Lynch role. IIRC he played his opponent from behind all night.

This is the strategy, it's what he's instructed to do. All our forwards play from behind. It's not by individual choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back