Preview Round 1, 2022: St.Kilda v Collingwood - Marvel Stadium, Friday 18th March, 7:50PM AEDT

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Magpies

Votes: 20 22.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Mitchito, who have we brought into the club that came from the NGA? Is Owens the first?

If not he would definitely be the first NGA player to debut in Round 1?

Fair enough, I didn't think Hayes was overly good in that practice match. Did a couple of good things but to me he just looked like a handy depth player that was worth signing in case we had a few injuries.

Definitely a long way off what Sharman was able to produce in the intra club or his 4 games so far.

Hopefully I'm way off the mark and it ends up being a master stroke but I was rapt with the way King, Sharman and Membrey looked last year.
Hayes has only just got here basically, so be fair to give a him a few runs in the magoos first. From reports he has not set the world on fire in the practice matches. He has received some mighty good press though. Remember the days when you recruited the best player from SA and he would be a star.

Hayes has only just got here basically, so be fair to give a him a few runs in the magoos first. From reports he has not set the world on fire in the practice matches. He has received some mighty good press though. Remember the days when you recruited the best player from SA and he would be a star.
Yep, it happened last year 😉

He played forward ruck but was able to play more like a genuine mid around the ground.

Not sure he's got the size or pace to do it at AFL level though
Yeah I was watching him in the Bombers game thinking for a midfielder he must be the biggest I've seen. Reminds me a bit of Jason Blake but so far a much more limited version. I think he's got potential for what it's worth, has the size to develop into a decent player. Not right now though.

Heads up that I've been moving a few posts related to tonight's game from this thread.

Can discuss any game other than ours here;

Cheers

Richmond will go in tomorrow night with 3 key forwards and two genuine rucks.

Its a long way from their first flag when they had one key forward and Grigg as their 2nd ruck.
Nankervis and Soldo the rucks.

Lynch and Riewoldt key forwards. Who is the third key forward?

Sharman started the first praccy and was invisible. He clearly had the spot - form means he won’t get selected it seems.

Hayes did well. Check the review thread.

Nothing wrong with rewarding that.
Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 9.05.41 pm.png

Honestly… they were both shit by the looks of things unless we are going to attribute some magic invisible Mav Weller stats like "making space" or inferred pressure"

Sharman should only be looked at as a forward, and if he is not injured, should be in our senior team on Friday. Practice match form doesn't mean much. Hayes I see as the old school "utility"- forward, ruck, backline where needed. I've always had the belief that if you kick more goals than the opposition, then you will win, and we need every goal kicking option in the team. Pressure on the suss Collingwood defence will win it for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bytel is 22 and not young any more, he really needs to start a pretty fast rise. If he can't cement a spot this year he's going to have to defy the odds to make it. Gresham is a potential gun but he's struggling to stay on the park in the last few years.
He’s played 9 full official games of football in 3.5 years.

Just think about that for a moment.

9 full games of football in 3.5 years.

And he’s trying to establish himself at the elite level of the sport.

It would be absolute absurdity to compare him to others around his age who in their previous 3.5 years could have played as many as 80 or 90 full games of football at various levels.

Given the fact he is already able to dominate at VFL level from day 1 playing there suggests that it will likely only be a matter of time before he’s stepping up his game significantly at AFL level as well.

And given his personal circumstances I definitely don’t agree that he’ll have to cement his spot in the side by this year if he’s to make it.

Given the fact he will likely have to be one of our best 4 on the inside to warrant a spot in the side, he’s probably only going to be “cemented in” once he’s overtaken Crouch, and that’s highly unlikely to happen this year.

Hayes against Essendon:
8 kicks
4 HB
@58%

155 metres gained

3 marks

25 ruck contests, 4 hitouts, 1 to advantage

1 goal

1 tackle

No providing a contest stat unfortunately, but was absolutely monstered in the ruck as you would expect at his height.

Bytel was taken at pick 41 and can't cement a spot in our side.

The chances of him becoming anything close to Wines and Oliver etc are extremely low.

Those guys were elites of the comp already at his age.

And yes I know he missed a year of footy but he can't use that excuse much longer.
It’s not just about the fact he missed a year of footy, it was actually a year and half, and in the two seasons after that, he’s had to try and establish himself at the highest level of the game while getting to play half a game here, a quarter of a game there, nowhere at all the next week and so-on.

That might be OK for a “seasoned veteran”, who has the runs on the board and the fitness built up over years, and who knows they have what it takes to play at the level, but for a young guy, who’s previously only played against kids, and who doesn’t yet have that belief that he belongs at that level, and who doesn’t have the fitness, it’s a completely different story.

And comparing him to others who had uninterrupted runs at it by the same age is beyond ridiculous. They had it an extraordinary amount easier than he did.

I also wasn’t saying he’s as good as those two (although at junior level he would have been dominating to a similar extent), but Gringo was talking about wanting someone who has that similar “style of play”, and Bytel no doubt has that. It’s his bread and butter. It’s literally the reason he got drafted.

I kept hearing he was a midfielder in the SANFL instead of pure ruck. Is that right? Or have I misheard? Because for a midfielder he looks absolutely massive.
I think he was a bit of everywhere. Undersized forward ruck that just happened to gather enough of the ball at contests to look like a midfielder. Not actually one though

Year 1- Injured
Year 2- Covid (no VFL)
Year 3- Covid (no VFL)

If anything Bytel has exceeded what should be expected of a pick 41 with a handful of games experience.

The kid has talent & just needed to get his body right & tank up. Now he just needs games under his belt.

Hope the 1st of that run of games begins on Friday night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said 👏

Has it been confirmed somewhere that Michito is playing?
I think someone made it up so we could all watch and laugh at Mowman having another one of his weekly melts. I've got no idea if he's playing or not I just joined in on the fun. Would be good though wouldn't it?

Not convenient at all. That is my point.

Not that we haven't taken mids, but that we have used later picks on them which history suggests you are less likely to find elite talent with.
I just think it's beating a dead horse and not that realistic to begin with.
If you're going to complain about not drafting mids then 2016 is the most recent year we screwed the pooch on that front.
I wouldn't take back any draft year since then, with the only possible exception being 2020 which is still TBD although Highmore and Coops seem good things already.
Who are the mids that we should have drafted?

Sharman has a lot of work to do before he is gifted games. If his preseason doesn't afford him an opportunity, he needs to fight for it, which is never a bad thing.

Hayes has Jason Blake vibes, happy to have him rolling around and plugging holes.

Back the coaches at this point, they know the player's form better than we do

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think someone made it up so we could all watch and laugh at Mowman having another one of his weekly melts. I've got no idea if he's playing or not I just joined in on the fun. Would be good though wouldn't it?
Gate 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back