Review Round 6, 2022 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

SPP - loved his kamikazee attack at the contest. Couple of sensational marks when totally out of position. Pity his skills are so clumsy, he doesn't get full value for the work he does as a result.
Playing like a man posessed ATM.

Bonner - hardly wastes a disposal. Five times he laced out a perfect 45m to 60m kick to one of our leading forwards inside 50. That is just sublime skill. Rather see him further up the ground where he could be lethal for us.

Jones - needs to keep his eye on the ball and not fumble so much. Similar comments to SPP.

Dumont and Motlop - really, what is the point of playing these two? Bergmann and Duursma in as soon as fit, please!

Marshall - where has this been hiding? Keep it up 😜

Hayes - pleasantly surprised. SANFL form didn't foretell this sort of form.

I think you're looking for the unpopular opinions thread.
Dumont's fine, he's just mature age and vanilla. If we were competing for top 4 I'd be happy enough to give him a decent run. For a side that's not making finals, there's no point.

SPP, Boak, Marshall and even Houston at a stretch are a bit rough to miss out on the medal I recks.

Thought Sam was solid throughout, Boak had time and poise, Marshall competed and competed well. Houston was 4 quarter consistent.

First real look at Hayes tonight and can understand the angst. Lots of miles to cover but he did display some great attributes.

Nice...

Feel for Todd but Conner has ARRIVED
Jesus, one good game in the past 18 months does not warrant such a big call, dont get me wrong he played a great game today but it's been a long time between drinks for him.

18.9 we win easily

13.14 oppo kicks 15 goals we lose by 4 pts

13.13 oppo kicks 14 goals we lose by 3 pts

its a simple game.

we should be 3-2 if a few players didn't choke shooting for goal.

1. Great to see the players enjoying playing. Yes, we won't get to play a team who are going through a real bad patch too often, but I did enjoy seeing them have a good time.

2. Q1 was a typical HinkBass play it upndown the boundary, super-defensive boring stuff. I had flashbacks to the 11-4 year. Then it changed. Can the coaches be brave again - will get bums on seats.

3. Ain't it great to see some taps to advantage. Sam also spent 83% game time on the ground. Excellent.

4. An open forward line! Leading forwards. Hope that continues when Charlie gets back.

5. I still think that Hinckley needs to be sacked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a dominant win where it all clicked, a win starved team who were hungry. Bounce of the ball, and 2 goal turnarounds all went our way. We got the Eagles at the perfect time.

Hayes breakout game and a Rising Star nod looks likely.
Finlayson and Marshall putting on a clinic.
Wines looking like a unstoppable force.
Rozee looking like the recruit we all hoped for.

But 1-5 still doesn't sit well with me 1650745903728.png

Got nothing from that game apart from a nice return to form for rozee and Houston.

We beat up on a second rate side. And all our down hill skiers came to play. Let’s not kid ourselves.

We still can’t hit a target, our skills were ordinary. We have very little forward system, Half our team can’t hit a team mate from 25m..

Do it against the saints and then maybe we can be a little excited.
Our foot skills are terrible.

Lycett is a terrible forward. He has terrible hands and drops everything. He is done.
It is not just about Lycett, it is about giving Hayes a hand. How long do you think Hayes will last if he has to jump against two ruckmen? Hayes did well yesterday but taking on Bailey Williams is a bit different to taking on Max Gawn and Luke Jackson. Lycett did OK playing second fiddle to Nic Natanui at West Coast, he even played in a premiership.

You maybe right, Lycett may be cooked which makes the decision to trade Peter Ladhams even more perplexing. If Lycett is cooked we need to find a second tall.

Last edited:
I have change my mind about West Coast as up until yesterday I didn't think there was a worse side in the competition than us. West Coast's performance forced me to change my mind.

There does not seem to be any middle road to it at the moment, we are either ****ing horrible as was the case in the first half against Carlton and again in the first quarter yesterday or bloody great as was the case for the remainder of both games.

I do not want to get too far ahead of myself but if we can reproduce the best from the last two games there are 3 or 4 winnable games over the next few weeks. Produce our worst and we will remain where we are.

Amazing what a win will do.

Last edited:
It is not just about Lycett, it is about giving Hayes a hand. How long do you think Hayes will last if he has to jump against two ruckmen? Hayes did well yesterday but taking on Bailey Williams is a bit different to taking on Max Gawn and Luke Jackson. Lycett did OK playing second fiddle to Nic Natanui at West Coast, he even played in a premiership.

You maybe right, Lycett may be cooked which makes the decision to trade Peter Ladhams even more perplexing. If Lycett is cooked we need to find a second tall.
Finlayson is playing as our second ruckman.

The reality is that most of the time the second ruckman is actually playing more forward than ruck. It's far more important for the second ruckman to be a competent forward than it it is for the second ruckman to be a competent ruckman.

Most teams don't play two genuine rucks - Melbourne are more the exception than the rule and that is because Jackson is a decent forward.

We can't fit Lycett, Marshall, Georgiadis, Dixon, Hayes and Finlayson in the same team.

Finlayson is playing as our second ruckman.

The reality is that most of the time the second ruckman is actually playing more forward than ruck. It's far more important for the second ruckman to be a competent forward than it it is for the second ruckman to be a competent ruckman.

Most teams don't play two genuine rucks - Melbourne are more the exception than the rule and that is because Jackson is a decent forward.

We can't fit Lycett, Marshall, Georgiadis, Dixon, Hayes and Finlayson in the same team.

I reckon Lycett might have more footy left in him than Charlie Dixon.

Clurey is so indecisive with his disposal
Agreed, both Clurey and Jonas have become major weaknesses in the defence and would almost certainly prevent the club from going all the way in the future regardless of who the coach may be.

I suspect any new coach, eg Clarko, would put a line through a number of players, and at least one of those two would be near the top of his time to move them on list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 6, 2022 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back