Review Round 6, 2022 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow, what happened to our shit Q1 game plan? Rest of the game we attacked with intent, forwards led and competed strongly & kicking into the forward line was often to our advantage. Want to see more of this as it's entertaining & worth making the effort to attend games.

WC were obviously still affected by covid but credit to our boys. Much better work ethic & smarter footy. Loved Hayes & Marshall's game & Finlayson was much better. Some special moments by a number of players 2nite which was wonderful to watch. Can we play like this next week - no idea but not overly confident we will repeat the game style. Let's hope so.

Really awesome to get the win, not for Hinkley, but for the young players who had a chance to stand up and show that they’re our future.

It’s amazing what a ruckman who can put the ball to somewhere our mids can extract it can do for our mids, and what a bit of space and not bombing it in does for our forward efficiency and the form of our forwards.

Yes it was a shit opposition, but the core things that worked today will carry us against any team once you can do them repeatedly (and not lapse back to crap) and take care of a few holes.

Marshall - ripper game. Got the reward on the board but if he makes that effort I don’t care if he kicks bags or not. We’re a better team for having developed him. There’s gonna be weeks he kicks 1 goal and weeks he gets 5 but if we get the same effort from him the last two weeks I’m happy and so should everyone else with any sense. Competed in the air, tackled hard, kicked goals. High effort game. He was growing as a player last year and is growing this year. Amazing how if you put time into a kpf that it might pay off hey? Is still young as well, being another 2 or so years from being considered in his prime.

Houston - very strong game. Looking more like the Houston we loved before last years crap. Is elite when he’s on. The thing I enjoyed most was the intercepts, he really knows how to read the ball and float across and cut off kicks. He really protects our under fire defenders when he’s doing that.

Rozee - **** yes. This is what I’ve wanted. Who lit a fire under his ass? He’s got the tools we need in the midfield and they are tools you can’t just pick up anywhere. They’re one of a kind. 31d but 15 contested! And 8 clearances is great. I’ve been saying for ages what we need is mids who can extract the ball from a stoppage (and take it out themselves rather than shovel it to the next under pressure player) and rozee brings that. Had a real intense vibe out there tonight, something must have been said to him by someone.

Wines - good to have him back. Workmanlike game by wines.

Boak - classic boak high workrate performance.

Finlayson- 5 goals is a great result. When is the last time we had 2 kfs kick 5 goals in the same game? Thought he was a bit slow to get going but really worked into it. Worked hard and got the results.

Spp - strong game from Spp who is having a good year and seems to be growing each game. Finally getting a hang of his role, though he’s kinda playing different to last year and coming higher up the ground to basically be an extra mid around half forward. I wouldn’t even really call him a forward anymore, he’s a half forward flanker playing as another mid in the forward half.

Drew - usual drew game but good to see him find much more footy. Much better balance of the defensive and offensive sides of his games.

Amon - better game from him, dropping didn’t make sense in relation to how much better he’s been than other players who haven’t been dropped (or dropped and come back) but can understand if they thought he needed a kick in the backside and this might motivate him? In any case 25d and a goal. Drove us forward time and again.

Georgiades- other kfs were the stars of the show but loved Georgiades appetite for the contest especially early. Hated that he didn’t want to kick the goal and passed it off, it’s not the mentality we should be trying to foster on our spearhead, but a strong competitive game from Mitch that helped our other forwards get free.

Bonner - I really have enjoyed bonners year, he’s stepped up and thought that started last season, but there was a couple of shit efforts today. But still he’s growing into one of our key players.

Hayes - you ****ing beauty. Yeah, I’ve been telling people for ages, yes he’s a dinosaur but he’s the dinosaur we ****ing need. Check the afl stats, he’s elite for hitouts to advantage (3rd in the afl) as a kid who still has massive improvement in him.

Farrell - what a return from an acl. ****ing miracle. There’s some ****ing desire to make it there when you come back from an acl looking like you’ve been at some high altitude training camp instead of on crutches. We need him in the side as much as possible now.

Dbj - Dbj game. High effort, good when the ball is on the ground at winning it, ineffective when the ball is in the air and a worry when the ball is in his hands but nothing notably bad in that way from him tonight. good game but not a great game.

Burton - good game without being amazing. Generated run, protected our other defenders a bit.

Motlop - had a good end to the game but was largely invisible in the first half when the ball spent plenty of time in our half. Some good effort, a goal and 2 goal assists is a decent return. Having said that I’m not sure I want to tolerate a half of football from a senior 30yr old player who’s halfway retired when we could be getting games into younger players.

Jonas - thought he looked slow a few times tonight, his opponent at the contest got away from him like Tom was stuck in mud. 5 score involvements is a pretty damn good return from a defender though, buggered if I know how he accomplished that with his kicking.

Dumont - utterly invisible. Had 13d in a runaway game we dominated, and those 13d were nothing touches about as memorable as a blank page.

Clurey - meh game.

Butters - had some really good moments but wtf happened? Copped a high hit early, the. A player hit him hard in the ribs soon after and then he died away. Wasn’t in the centre as much after they or 100%. This isn’t the first time that teams have gone after him early and he’s been less than okay after it. I know the early head high was incidental but there’s a real history of going after him now, and I think it’s a real tactic by teams. We need to protect him. Both by players on our team going after the oppo who targets him, I don’t give a **** if we get fined, hit any bastard that puts butters down for the next 5 weeks and it will stop. Also call out butters treatment non-stop for several weeks in the media.

Alir - still not right and we shouldn’t be risking him to save hinkleys skin. We’ve got a perfectly good key defender absolutely on fire in the sanfl in pasini that needs to be blooded.

Gray - the mind is willing but the body is cooked. Champion of the sport. Any game now could be his last. Ease him through it, don’t be afraid to rest him and for ****s sake don’t ask him to perform miracles in order for us to score goals

Jones - comical fall over when Marshall delivered the ball to him wide open for miles. Could have run all the way to goal or handed it off to one of the other wide open players but fell over. Yes there is lots to like about jones. Yes he’s a 1st 22 player who will play more than 200 games for port. He’s defensively strong in the contest, but he’s a sloppy butter fingered hot mess and we need to consider him a work in progress. We need to do whatever is best to help him develop his ball handling, composure and ball skills. If that is playing him at afl level and working on those areas during the week, ok, but I do wonder if we could accelerate that by playing him in the midfield at sanfl level for a few weeks and telling him to work on those things there. Only because he gets to get his hands on it heaps more times in the midfield at sanfl than at afl in the backlines. It’s just a thought, whatever happens he needs to spend the next preseason spending all his time working with a ball.

Refreshing to see forwards changing direction and making space/leads.

Wasn't a great performance but what was required against a weakened WC.

I'm so peeved at dropping games against crows and Carlton because this game could've been the the form finder for us but now we are still way behind the 8-ball.

Wow, what happened to our shit Q1 game plan? Rest of the game we attacked with intent, forwards led and competed strongly & kicking into the forward line was often to our advantage. Want to see more of this as it's entertaining & worth making the effort to attend games.

WC were obviously still affected by covid but credit to our boys. Much better work ethic & smarter footy. Loved Hayes & Marshall's game & Finlayson was much better. Some special moments by a number of players 2nite which was wonderful to watch. Can we play like this next week - no idea but not overly confident we will repeat the game style. Let's hope so.
I think we just finally found out why George is in the coaches box.

images%20(39).jpg

Last edited:
Forget the stats - were you at the game?

His work around the ball was as good as I've ever seen him play. Zigging and Zagging all over the place and delivering a well placed handball to send us forward.

Reminded me of his first few games.
Agree he looked a class above

Got nothing from that game apart from a nice return to form for rozee and Houston.

We beat up on a second rate side. And all our down hill skiers came to play. Let’s not kid ourselves.

We still can’t hit a target, our skills were ordinary. We have very little forward system, Half our team can’t hit a team mate from 25m..

Do it against the saints and then maybe we can be a little excited.

Got nothing from that game apart from a nice return to form for rozee and Houston.

We beat up on a second rate side. And all our down hill skiers came to play. Let’s not kid ourselves.

We still can’t hit a target, our skills were ordinary. We have very little forward system, Half our team can’t hit a team mate from 25m..

Do it against the saints and then maybe we can be a little excited.
So nothing from Hayes?

Nothing from Marshall?

Nothing from Finlayson?

Nothing from SPP?

I'm all for tempering the applause after playing a mediocre team and pre game i would have agreed but we actually gor much more out of that game than I expected

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So nothing from Hayes?

Nothing from Marshall?

Nothing from Finlayson?

Nothing from SPP?

I'm all for tempering the applause after playing a mediocre team and pre game i would have agreed but we actually gor much more out of that game than I expected
Yeah hates was good, but the other bloke isn’t much

SPP butchered half his possies, aust hacks it forward, sure he crashes and bashes but has no poise..wines was pretty similiar

As for the 2 forwards, let’s see them against a couple of decent backman

We beat a substandard afl team.

Massive downhill skiing effort. Maybe it'll help get their confidence up or maybe it'll give them a false sense of security. Time will tell.

Hard to make many assessments given the opposition.

Hayes, Finlayson and Marshall were great in the key posts but need to repeat it against better opposition.

Liked Farrell's first game back.

Clurey is still a very shaky player for me.
Clurey is so indecisive with his disposal

I’ll admit I was wrong about Hayes.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Now you can enjoy watching him feeding our mids!
Dumont was fine. I'm still not sure what the point is of playing a fairly uninspiring player like him over a younger option.
Yeah, by no means was dumont bad, he didn’t put a foot wrong, but I’m sure there’s a picture of him next to the word vanilla in the dictionary. Didn’t really do much today I thought in a game we dominated.

I would much rather he helped develop our young players in the sanfl and we gave his spot to a player with more upside (tho a few of them are out due to injuries but Bergman and sinn for example have to play over him)

Or maybe a player who has just had his first kid, matured a bit and the penny has finally dropped?
yep, I agree, I love Pep, but with a partner from the west and a family of west coast supporters I think he’s being lured back to the West. I don’t want it to be true either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 6, 2022 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back