Review It’s The Hope That Gets Ya - Rd 10 Review VS Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

We were hoping to get in the 8 this year and we still may. Now because we were top two for a week everyone probably started thinking premiership. We have improved our dry weather game and hopefully our wet weather game will evolve with stronger bodies, better structures around the ball, different wet weather game plan and maybe horses- for -courses selection, if necessary. I'm as disappointed as anyone but I hope we can stay realistic.

Last edited:
Everyone is so very focused on us, but missing a few very important points on Collingwood:
1) Are we going to enquire about the legality of the subbing of Mason Cox for a 'finger' injury? This is some flipping dodgy shit that clearly provided a massive advantage to Collingwood.
2) Collingwood played their best team for the year and they were actually very slick in the wet.

I still think we destroy them in a dry weather game. The wet takes away our ability to break up the lines, changing how and where we enter forward 50. We are really poor when the game has to be played in straight lines because contested marking is a massive weakness of ours. Everyone melting that we should just be better in the wet, well easy to say that, but we just don't have the personnel for it. We don't have massive blokes to kick down the line to and go from contest to contest in a slog. Put Pav and Fyfe into this team and that would change. It's no surprise that Darcy and Brodie were best on for us, they're made for that style of game.

When we play in our next dry game, pay attention to how well we 'change lanes'. Our best passage yesterday was when we pulled off one of our dry weather transitions from swinging it back and forth across the backline, dart into the corridor and get a good entry inside 50 to a Brodie goal.

It is simply obvious that we don't have the personnel to play wet weather slogs yet due to having a young and inexperienced team.

On us, some random points:
  • Heath Chapman played his worst game for us
  • Cox and Taberner trying to switch into the middle while it was raining was just unforgivable
  • Darcy and Brodie were immense
  • Freddy, Banfield, Colyer should be dropped
  • we're seriously missing O'Driscoll!
  • Why is our team selection so rigid? Why stubbornly continue to play Pearce, Cox, Logue when the weather forecast clearly shows it's going to be pissing down! This one in particular grinds my gears, play the team that is right for the opponent AND the conditions! Seems like they're choosing who they think is best 22 regardless of external factors. Pearce should not have played yesterday, that was a very poor call to keep him in.
  • Taberner has played two worst on ground games this season after returning from injury, he was a deadset liability yesterday, barely got the ball and when he did he turned it over in diabolical ways. Lots of hate coming for Banfield and Freddy when Taberner was even worse. Tabs should have had a Pies jumper on he was that bad.
  • I thought Young was awesome. He wasn't perfect, but some of his marks and kicks were superb.

If you got a glimpse of a 7-3 W/L with a 128% after 10 rounds at the beginning of the season, would you have been pretty happy?
Would've been more than happy. More so upset with the fact that we did the exact same thing as last week with no change or improvement at all. We have games coming up against Melbourne, Brisbane, and hawthorn and if nothing changes then we're 7-6 and no better than previous years.

Completely lost it when Colyer was head over ball yet couldn’t pick it up. Smallest player on the damn ground and he’s fumbling about.
Just rubbish the past two weeks.

One week at a time. Who know, maybe Fremantle will come out breathing fire next few weeks. But surely this is the lowest ebb of the season. 7-1 cannot be thrown away. Fyfe to come back. There’s depth.

It’s up to Jlo and co.

The annoying thing is the mids got so much of the ball- Brodie with 37, Mundy 35 yet it’s not enough. There’s something so very wrong
Our kick to handball got lower in the wet...theirs went higher.
We allowed them to get players back defensively because we refused to move the ball quickly by foot. When we did kick we went sideways first...flipping moronic

1653271321091.png K

Everyone is so very focused on us, but missing a few very important points on Collingwood:
1) Are we going to enquire about the legality of the subbing of Mason Cox for a 'finger' injury? This is some f*n dodgy shit that clearly provided a massive advantage to Collingwood.
2) Collingwood played their best team for the year and they were actually very slick in the wet.

I still think we destroy them in a dry weather game. The wet takes away our ability to break up the lines, changing how and where we enter forward 50. We are really poor when the game has to be played in straight lines because contested marking is a massive weakness of ours. Everyone melting that we should just be better in the wet, well easy to say that, but we just don't have the personnel for it. We don't have massive blokes to kick down the line to and go from contest to contest in a slog. Put Pav and Fyfe into this team and that would change. It's no surprise that Darcy and Brodie were best on for us, they're made for that style of game.

When we play in our next dry game, pay attention to how well we 'change lanes'. Our best passage yesterday was when we pulled off one of our dry weather transitions from swinging it back and forth across the backline, dart into the corridor and get a good entry inside 50 to a Brodie goal.

It is simply obvious that we don't have the personnel to play wet weather slogs yet due to having a young and inexperienced team.

On us, some random points:
  • Heath Chapman played his worst game for us
  • Cox and Taberner trying to switch into the middle while it was raining was just unforgivable
  • Darcy and Brodie were immense
  • Freddy, Banfield, Colyer should be dropped
  • we're seriously missing O'Driscoll!
  • Why is our team selection so rigid? Why stubbornly continue to play Pearce, Cox, Logue when the weather forecast clearly shows it's going to be pissing down! This one in particular grinds my gears, play the team that is right for the opponent AND the conditions! Seems like they're choosing who they think is best 22 regardless of external factors. Pearce should not have played yesterday, that was a very poor call to keep him in.
  • Taberner has played two worst on ground games this season after returning from injury, he was a deadset liability yesterday, barely got the ball and when he did he turned it over in diabolical ways. Lots of hate coming for Banfield and Freddy when Taberner was even worse. Tabs should have had a Pies jumper on he was that bad.
  • I thought Young was awesome. He wasn't perfect, but some of his marks and kicks were superb.
It's hard, I dont want to give the team / coaching an out but that sub was some dodgy bullshit

If you got a glimpse of a 7-3 W/L with a 128% after 10 rounds at the beginning of the season, would you have been pretty happy?

It's a par result with the draw we have been gifted. At the start of the year the main problem patch would have been Bombers-Carlton-Geelong. The rest were games we should have expected to win. For me 8-2 would have been a good result and going 7-3 is acceptable. Now the season gets difficult with only 2 wins you could be reasonably confident in (Hawks and WC). We might be able to scrape into the finals by knocking off the likes of Syd and Port at home and scrounging an away win somewhere.

Losing or getting a reality check is not the worst thing in my opinion as hopefully it will stop us getting ahead of ourselves. Realistically we need the young bucks to blossom (which will take years) before we can truly contend. But the disappointing thing for me is the team selection and tactics when things are going wrong. Yesterday was an absolute shocker on both fronts.

Our kick to handball got lower in the wet...theirs went higher.
We allowed them to get players back defensively because we refused to move the ball quickly by foot. When we did kick we went sideways first...f*n moronic

View attachment 1407238K
Yeah that’s great, gameplan works and all, Jlo. But Collingwood and Gold Coast threw theirs out and just played territorial. Collingwood even tapped or kicked the ball along the ground every chance they got. They backed their smalls. Simple. They had a few deliberates but they didn’t care. Just get the ball out of the defence then allow Fremantle to kick the ball around. Set up the defence behind the ball
We backed our talls. In the wet. Idiotic

It's hard, I dont want to give the team / coaching an out but that sub was some dodgy bullshit

Who cares if it was dodgy? It was smart. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a plan before the game, hoping it would help us keep our 3 x KPD setup. Macrae must have been laughing when we indeed did just that.

The question should be why we didn't invent an injury to a tall player or Banfield and get Erasmus on the field. Poor coaching/tactics.

Who cares if it was dodgy? It was smart. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a plan before the game, hoping it would help us keep our 3 x KPD setup. Macrae must have been laughing when we indeed did just that.

The question should be why we didn't invent an injury to a tall player or Banfield and get Erasmus on the field. Poor coaching/tactics.
Bizarre take, we care if it's dodgy because it's against the rules. They arent being 'smart', it's literally cheating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a par result with the draw we have been gifted. At the start of the year the main problem patch would have been Bombers-Carlton-Geelong. The rest were games we should have expected to win. For me 8-2 would have been a good result and going 7-3 is acceptable. Now the season gets difficult with only 2 wins you could be reasonably confident in (Hawks and WC). We might be able to scrape into the finals by knocking off the likes of Syd and Port at home and scrounging an away win somewhere.

Losing or getting a reality check is not the worst thing in my opinion as hopefully it will stop us getting ahead of ourselves. Realistically we need the young bucks to blossom (which will take years) before we can truly contend. But the disappointing thing for me is the team selection and tactics when things are going wrong. Yesterday was an absolute shocker on both fronts.
7-3 is a great result at the start of the season. Knocked off Essendon, Carlton, Geelong in consecutive weeks. Huge tick.
But problem is the chance to go 9-1 goes begging. Brisbane loss, Sydney have been worst, St Kilda meh. Was a great chance to just consolidate 2nd and give us space to go into the second half of the season to make finals.
It’s a young team, still. Jlo needs to accept the reality check and back the youth again. Walker gets a chance, Treacy, Sturt, Amiss to come at some point. Still rebuilding, just don’t do shortcuts with Colyer, Banfield for prolonged periods

The forward pressure that served us so well in the first 8 weeks was non existent yesterday. Didn’t see that desperation from any of them to close space. Although In their defence I’m sure it’s hard being a small forward when your 207 and 200cm forwards cant even make a contest half the time

Bizarre take, we care if it's dodgy because it's against the rules. They arent being 'smart', it's literally cheating.

The harsh reality is the sub rule gets exploited multiple times every week. Teams break the rules and get away with it all the time. Be it the sub or making illegal blocks or holds or push in the backs. Playing nice will not get you anywhere. It's a cut throat competition.

I bet you wouldn't have a problem if we took Lobb off with a mystery injury and Erasmus kicked 4.

I don't have a problem with it. Same result would've happened if they just chose Henry from the start. None of our team selection would have changed.

I don't have a problem with it. Same result would've happened if they just chose Henry from the start. None of our team selection would have changed.
But they didnt chose him from the start, they went with Cox early then pulled a dodgy injury and swapped him in, that is a big difference
The harsh reality is the sub rule gets exploited multiple times every week. Teams break the rules and get away with it all the time. Be it the sub or making illegal blocks or holds or push in the backs. Playing nice will not get you anywhere. It's a cut throat competition.

I bet you wouldn't have a problem if we took Lobb off with a mystery injury and Erasmus kicked 4.
My opinion would be unchanged, I would still have a problem with us or any team blatantly cheating a rule. Your comparison is non-sense, one has a consequence, free kicks, the other does not and it not on-field.

I'm not trying to make a big deal of it, it's not the reason we lost and it's as much on the AFL as it is Collingwood but I refuse to let cheating (and it is the definition of cheating), be called "smart" and something we should have done. Also, I might have missed something but I've yet to see a sub rule abuse as blatant as this one

They should make the rule with the sub like the concussion rule. You get subbed off, you don’t play next week.
I think that would go part of the way, the other part is that I think once you make a sub, the other team can do the same without having an injury. I like the rule, it just needs tightening up

But they didnt chose him from the start, they went with Cox early then pulled a dodgy injury and swapped him in, that is a big difference

My opinion would be unchanged, I would still have a problem with us or any team blatantly cheating a rule. Your comparison is non-sense, one has a consequence, free kicks, the other does not and it not on-field.

I'm not trying to make a big deal of it, it's not the reason we lost and it's as much on the AFL as it is Collingwood but I refuse to let cheating (and it is the definition of cheating), be called "smart" and something we should have done. Also, I might have missed something but I've yet to see a sub rule abuse as blatant as this one
The injury wasn't dodgy. The injury was real. It's whether the injury justified substitution that was dodgy.

The injury wasn't dodgy. The injury was real. It's whether the injury justified substitution that was dodgy.
Possibly, I'll be interested to see if we hear any more about it in the week, but Alfonso was happy enough if it was pre-planned and that it was a smart thing to do, that's the main issue I have.

What happened to training with a ball with soap on it. Could have sworn JL had them doing it the first season in charge?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I thought Collingwood played very smart last night by not having someone standing the mark whenever they could get away with it. They positioned 6 to 8 metres away from the mark, slightly to the inside, guarding space against the short 45 kick inside. We were too dumb to take much advantage from it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review It’s The Hope That Gets Ya - Rd 10 Review VS Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back