Review It’s The Hope That Gets Ya - Rd 10 Review VS Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm genuinely surprised you dont see an issue with our contested ball & stoppage efforts in the last two weeks as a huge alarm bell.

Considering we have had an advantage, hit-outs wise, in the last two weeks.

We've somehow managed to win the hit-out's comfortably, yet lose stoppages in aggregate in the last two fixtures, it's broken at the source.
I’d be interested to know if it was much different the other weeks. My understanding is we genuinely aren’t a clearance team and we aren’t even fussed if we win many. We are happy to lose the clearance so long as it’s messy ball and we can run it back the other way quickly.

This is why it’s an issue the last two weeks because you can do that in the wet (slingshot off a rebound) with any kind of authority. That’s my major gripe at the moment, the stubbornness to not change a gameplan in the conditions

So Duff and Quarters were just talking about the commentary by our coach John Longmire and they said that if he plays WAFL this week and kicks 5 goals but has zero tackles he probably doesn't get into the AFL side, but if kicks 1.2 and has 10 tables he does.

While there was a bit of hyperbole in that surely if you kick 5 goals that means there is less opportunity to tackle because you are actually doing the main job of a forward.....

So Duff and Quarters were just talking about the commentary by our coach John Longmire and they said that if he plays WAFL this week and kicks 5 goals but has zero tackles he probably doesn't get into the AFL side, but if kicks 1.2 and has 10 tables he does.

While there was a bit of hyperbole in that surely if you kick 5 goals that means there is less opportunity to tackle because you are actually doing the main job of a forward.....
Yeah, I took that for him to be a little bemused at the whole situation to be honest.

Both podcasts this week he's treaded as fine a line as possible without dumping on Banfield while pretty much telling everyone he agrees Banfield playing is a bit ridiculous

Possibly, I'll be interested to see if we hear any more about it in the week, but Alfonso was happy enough if it was pre-planned and that it was a smart thing to do, that's the main issue I have.
Apologies for the intrusion, but I really don’t think McRae sat there and thought “hey we’ll get Cox subbed out early and throw Tyler Brown in as relief ruck against Sean Darcy”. That more than anything else indicates it wasn’t pre-planned as surely if that’s what you plan around you’d be making sure you have a better relief ruck option than that.

Apologies for the intrusion, but I really don’t think McRae sat there and thought “hey we’ll get Cox subbed out early and throw Tyler Brown in as relief ruck against Sean Darcy”. That more than anything else indicates it wasn’t pre-planned as surely if that’s what you plan around you’d be making sure you have a better relief ruck option than that.
Before I say anything else I'll preface that the subbing didnt influence the result, you were clearly the better team on the day, clearly deserved to win. Do I think it was pre-planned? No, but I certainly would be pretty peeved if it was, that's my main gripe with what Alfonso was saying, that pre-planning it would have been smart. I think your coaching staff saw an opportunity during the game to get a player off the ground that was giving you squat and took it, I think it was a bullshit reason, but that's not his problem, it's an AFL problem.

Before I say anything else I'll preface that the subbing didnt influence the result, you were clearly the better team on the day, clearly deserved to win. Do I think it was pre-planned? No, but I certainly would be pretty peeved if it was, that's my main gripe with what Alfonso was saying, that pre-planning it would have been smart. I think your coaching staff saw an opportunity during the game to get a player off the ground that was giving you squat and took it, I think it was a bullshit reason, but that's not his problem, it's an AFL problem.
Yeah that’s my contention with what was being claimed about the move, it might have been opportunistic but it definitely wasn’t planned and to suggest that Collingwood were trying to “cheat” reeks of sour grapes

IIRC Witts split the webbing in his hand in Round 1, 2016 playing for us and didn’t return for half a season, so can understand subbing a player with what sounds like a similar injury to allow the full severity of the injury to be confirmed.

I actually thought Cox was going alright before injury and was giving us a bit around the ground albeit not clunking anything, so at the time if he was fit I certainly would’ve preferred to persist with him over Henry who himself ordinarily doesn’t really thrive in wet conditions as a marking player with pretty average acceleration and agility.

Anyway, not really the forum for me to discuss the Pies side of things so I’ll leave you be. All the best this week.

Edit: Five weeks for Witts in 2016 and not half a season, think we kept him in the VFL for a bit but still a severe enough injury!

Remove this Banner Ad

Review It’s The Hope That Gets Ya - Rd 10 Review VS Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back