2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Priorities for us are a ready made key defender. Even if Graham comes good (and it’s still an if, though he has been decent since coming back into the team), with Rory always injured it makes a KPD a must! If we lose Collins or Ballard, we are in trouble. Big trouble. Brock/Andrew are a few years away. But KPD are in short supply around the comp…

Midfielders are only if they are proven A graders who will immediately impact our team: a Dunkley type, as suggested, maybe. Otherwise just back who we have as they are doing the job and have youth on their side. We don’t need any depth midfielders. Same with half-backs, wingers or small forwards.

Our start to the season has me hoping we can attract somebody good this off-season.

Bailey Dale would be so juicy right now. Perfect upgrade on Weller

Someone like Daniel Rioli more realistic?
NT connections. Tigers connections. Holding off on contract talks.
Found his happy place at half-back.

Still prefer a tall defender/fwd though.

Have heard the Suns are among a number of clubs sounding out Griffin Logue. I remember the Suns were linked heavily to him in the 2016 draft and I was surprised the Suns drafted Scrimshaw over him with pick 6 that year.

Have heard the Suns are among a number of clubs sounding out Griffin Logue. I remember the Suns were linked heavily to him in the 2016 draft and I was surprised the Suns drafted Scrimshaw over him with pick 6 that year.

I remember him and Bowes doing a promo together on the beach in their draft year.

Would definitely be a handy swingman now that he has shown he can play at both ends.

A decision on whether Levi Casboult’s second life as an AFL footballer extends into a second season won’t be made until late this year.
However you look at it, the Casboult signing has been great business, but both parties want to wait until season’s end to make a call on 2023.
Gold Coast has already locked away King, Ben Ainsworth, Elijah Hollands, Mac Andrew and Connor Budarick this year and is nearing agreement with Izak Rankine and Jack Lukosius.

Lachie Weller will ink a multi-year deal despite his ACL setback, while negotiations have also started to re-sign lightly played key defender Caleb Graham.

If we make finals and get pick 10+ I'd love us to pick up a unique talent like Anthony Munkara and then some safer bets with later picks. Feel we're finally in a position to bet on talents.

I'd also be supremely confident we could support him better than most clubs with our indigenous NT lads and Harbs watching over them.

If we make finals and get pick 10+ I'd love us to pick up a unique talent like Anthony Munkara and then some safer bets with later picks. Feel we're finally in a position to bet on talents.

I'd also be supremely confident we could support him better than most clubs with our indigenous NT lads and Harbs watching over them.
Tell us a bit about him

Those highlights look exciting.

I kind of think we need a key position player that will fill out into a solid build.
Brock, Andrew, King even Ballard to some degree will always be the tall lanky but fairly skinny build.
Despite Chol's size, he's not exactly the bullocking type either.
Collins, Casboult and potentially Graham really our only solid KPP types on the list.

Someone like Murtagh.. just a more natural footballer.
If Murtagh continues to play like he did last round, I wouldn't put it past the Suns extending him one more year..

Don't reject this out of hand...
But if we make finals this year - and even win one, the next season should hopefully be even better - our window will be open with King back.

Try our luck with Chad Wingard?

He's a bit of an odd-bod - but he's pure class and may just kick theat extra 30 odd goals that make all the difference at the pointy end of the year.
the hawks are desperate for picks to keep the rebuild going, and Wingard is just that 'point of difference' player.

I know this will be a vegemite post!

Wingard and LDU for picks to Hawthorn, and senior players who can't get a game, to Norf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But if we make finals this year - and even win one, the next season should hopefully be even better - our window will be open with King back.

He's a bit of an odd-bod - but he's pure class and may just kick theat extra 30 odd goals that make all the difference at the pointy end of the year.
the hawks are desperate for picks to keep the rebuild going, and Wingard is just that 'point of difference' player.

Wingard and LDU for picks to Hawthorn, and senior players who can't get a game, to Norf.

People still obsessing over LDU on here people need to let him go he’s not coming to the suns.. we had our chance and we now have Lachie Weller

Id rather take O'Cockface back then ****ing Wingard.

LDU wouldn't be worth what we'd have to pay

No no no no no

No

:straining: Hurumph
I'll draw a line through Chadwick - I do fully admit he is a complete arse, but I reckoned he would be gettable.
The big Footy board has spoken!

I'm not backing down on LDU though.
My mail is that he wants out, unless the off-field culture gets sorted - definite rival camps down at Norf - pro and anti Noble / Rawlings.

He may not have wanted to come here before - but look at the change in direction of us - genuine finals team - heaps of upside, and player retention is improving exponentially.
Norf resemble a pub side.

Weller may not come back the same - it's a fact, it happens. I wish him well, and hope to see him pushing for 1st team again in 2023 - but to not at least reach out to one of the better younger players out there, would be poor.

LDU is class - and we are not the same side as the one he looked at a couple of years back.

DS is closer to the end than the beginning, MR is still struggling to get back up to speed (great in the last 2 games though), Andersons disposal is terrible, leaving Miller and Rankine with the only 2 'flair' mids. Oleg can do the odd cameo as well.

But Bowes, Fiorini, Atkins,Constable are all very similar - LDU just has that little bit of extra class and speed, which would be a great acquisition.

His career is dying in front of his eyes at Norf - and now Tassie is no longer an option for them to relocate to - what hope is there for Norf?
They literally are on life support.

LDU is gettable, and quality. We have players to trade with Norf. We have salary cap space with Brodie and Greenwood off the books - plus I reckon we will be trading a few out who are on the fringes this year.

For those 'who can't see it' - against us, in a putrid Norf performance LDU had:

16 kicks
9 handballs
6 marks
5 clearances
3 tackles
Kicked 1.1 and gained 554m in 80% game time - in a truly crap side.

You gotta think he'd improve markedly in a more professional club (stop s******ing at the back!).

My mail is impeccable - he wants out. We would be remiss not to at least ask the question.

Last word on LDU - Promise!

Out of all the players potentially available I think Dunkley is the best fit. Rowell and Miller are short by today's midfield standards and Anderson has the height but a little more outside than inside. A big midfield bull who can hit the scoreboard and apply pressure around the ball fits our game style perfectly.

Dunkley won't lack for suitors and get his money from a lot of teams but if he's open to leaving Melbourne and looking for a team on the rise that is the perfect fit to allow him to take his game to the next level then why not us.

Steven King was an assistant coach at Bulldogs until last year so maybe there is a relationship there to start discussions.

I'll draw a line through Chadwick - I do fully admit he is a complete arse, but I reckoned he would be gettable.

My mail is that he wants out, unless the off-field culture gets sorted - definite rival camps down at Norf - pro and anti Noble / Rawlings.

He may not have wanted to come here before - but look at the change in direction of us - genuine finals team - heaps of upside, and player retention is improving exponentially.

Weller may not come back the same - it's a fact, it happens. I wish him well, and hope to see him pushing for 1st team again in 2023 - but to not at least reach out to one of the better younger players out there, would be poor.

LDU is class - and we are not the same side as the one he looked at a couple of years back.

DS is closer to the end than the beginning, MR is still struggling to get back up to speed (great in the last 2 games though), Andersons disposal is terrible, leaving Miller and Rankine with the only 2 'flair' mids. Oleg can do the odd cameo as well.

But Bowes, Fiorini, Atkins,Constable are all very similar - LDU just has that little bit of extra class and speed, which would be a great acquisition.

His career is dying in front of his eyes at Norf - and now Tassie is no longer an option for them to relocate to - what hope is there for Norf?

LDU is gettable, and quality. We have players to trade with Norf. We have salary cap space with Brodie and Greenwood off the books - plus I reckon we will be trading a few out who are on the fringes this year.

For those 'who can't see it' - against us, in a putrid Norf performance LDU had:

16 kicks
9 handballs
6 marks
5 clearances
3 tackles

You gotta think he'd improve markedly in a more professional club (stop s******ing at the back!).

My mail is impeccable - he wants out. We would be remiss not to at least ask the question.

That's a fair case you make.

I'd give up this year's first round pick and that would be about it though.

Maybe they could take Darcy off our hands as well to sweeten the deal.

16 kicks
9 handballs
6 marks
5 clearances
3 tackles

I think LDU can be a good player, is moving into his prime years (60 odd games, just turned 23), and does fit our demographic.

But there is a lot that would have to happen, including wanting to come here and not just move to another Melbourne club.

But not the least is the club, the players, the supporters being OK about someone coming to the club who Does Not Want to Stay and Fight Through the Bad Times for a Small Club. You know, like most of the players on our list who have stuck to the task and are finally (finally!) seeing some reward.

Not sure how I would feel about that.
Can't criticise May and/or Lynch and/or Prestia and/or O'Meara and then be OK with someone like LDU. We are all hypocrites to some degree but that would smell a bit.

I think LDU can be a good player, is moving into his prime years (60 odd games, just turned 23), and does fit our demographic.

But there is a lot that would have to happen, including wanting to come here and not just move to another Melbourne club.

But not the least is the club, the players, the supporters being OK about someone coming to the club who Does Not Want to Stay and Fight Through the Bad Times for a Small Club. You know, like most of the players on our list who have stuck to the task and are finally (finally!) seeing some reward.

Not sure how I would feel about that.
Can't criticise May and/or Lynch and/or Prestia and/or O'Meara and then be OK with someone like LDU. We are all hypocrites to some degree but that would smell a bit.

It's just the cycle...when you are on the rise you can hopefully attract players and vice versa... every team works the same and tops up when they are approaching finals contention.

16 kicks
9 handballs
6 marks
5 clearances
3 tackles

LDU is clearly talented, I'm just not sure he's what we need. IMO if he wants out someone like Geelong or Richmond will be all over him.

100% agree with talk about Dunkley. He is the best option of the OOC players for the Suns. Reckon Bailey Dale would be a good signing too.

Don't mind LDU but I wonder if he's what we want bowes to become. Keen on bailey dale or maybe we could get bailey Smith cheap now😆.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back