2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was Harley a bad trade?

Seems like we did quite well really considering Harley virtually never played another game and remained constantly
In trouble.

Harley,
2015: pick 24, pick 37, pick 55

For

2015: pick 20, pick 52
2016: pick 22
Considering what happened with Harley it was a great trade lol, we could of wasted a list spot and $$$ if he didn't get traded

Considering what happened with Harley it was a great trade lol, we could of wasted a list spot and $$$ if he didn't get traded
Was Harley a bad trade?

Seems like we did quite well really considering Harley virtually never played another game and remained constantly
In trouble.

Harley,

For

What we did with those picks - a different story to some degree.

Freo picked Darcy tucker who is average but played 105 games to date and still active
Harley Balic- played 4 games
Sam collins - played 14 games for Freo before delisted.

We picked
Brayden Fiorini - probably similar level to tucker, played 72 games
Pearce hanley - played 40 games.
McKenzie Willis - played 5 games

Probably didn’t capitalise like we should have. Pearce didn’t exactly light it up on field. Depends how important his experience/leadership was as a senior player influencing young Touk Miller, Wil Powell, Ben Ainsworth, Sam collins, Charlie Ballard etc.. during those 2017-2020 years.

With the pick we gave up for Handley lions picked Cedric cox, who did nothing in his career anyway.

The next 5 picks though were: Ben long, Brandon parfitt, Zac fishet, lipinski, Shai Bolton..

and let me guess our trades and draft team will give up Rowell, Anderson and 2 first rounders for Logue. We should never deal with Freo they think ( quite rightly) that we are idiots based on previous trades, Harley, Weller, Brodie 🤮
Exactly so I think it’s our turn to get one back up on them.

Thomas basically Will Brodie this place will meltdown if he gets picked up

Thomas would be a great get. Definitely have the draft picks that could get it done.
Apparently the article just says he is going to play out his contract for the next 2 years.

North are definitely a trading partner though.
They will want more picks this year, only having their first and then no other pick until number 56.

We should definitely look at trading some for futures if we can't get mature players in.
ie. 28 and 46 for their 2023 2nd rounder.

Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 8.40.10 am.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 8.42.37 am.png

Thomas basically Will Brodie this place will meltdown if he gets picked up
Did you just say Tarryn Thomas is basically Will Brodie?

No Way Beer GIF by Busch

Was Harley a bad trade?

In trouble.

Harley,

For

I don’t think we knew Harley would never play when we traded him ( poor guy) he was a troubled game winner and clearly one of our top 5 players and we sold him for a 4 spot upgrade and a 2nd rounder

Plus I think one of both of those 2nd rounders went into the eagles trade making is truely horrible

Last edited:
Apparently the article just says he is going to play out his contract for the next 2 years.

North are definitely a trading partner though.
They will want more picks this year, only having their first and then no other pick until number 56.

We should definitely look at trading some for futures if we can't get mature players in.
ie. 28 and 46 for their 2023 2nd rounder.

View attachment 1427517

View attachment 1427521

I like this idea, either going for Thomas or future North picks. What do you think he's worth?

Brisbane will be in need of picks for their F/S draftees. Wonder if we could shake Jack Payne loose?

I don’t think we knew Harley would never play when we traded him ( poor guy) he was a troubled game winner and clearly one of our top 5 players and we sold him for a 4 spot upgrade and a 2nd rounder

Yeah, wish we had the leadership around the club when he was here.
Could have been anything.
Still awarded 8 Brownlow votes in his last year with us.

I think missing at least 7 games in 4 out of 5 seasons, because of injury was a decent history.
The club obviously had better insight into his calves and mid frame than we do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please correct me if I don't remember correctly, but according to Rocket Harley had 5-6 off field incidents (half not public) and put on trade after he assaulted a security at the night club and Suns publicly stated he will be moved on. I still remember the presser. Not sure what people expected he would be traded for after that. Extremely talented but definitely not a poor guy in my eyes unless you believe he is not responsible for his actions and all blame is on the club.

I like this idea, either going for Thomas or future North picks. What do you think he's worth?

Brisbane will be in need of picks for their F/S draftees. Wonder if we could shake Jack Payne lose?
Yep.
Target those teams that need picks - but see if we can get a mature player part of it.

Not sure for Thomas. I think he could be a really good player, particularly in a good team.
Depends how the rest of his year pans out. If he returns to form, somewhere between 12 - 15?
If he doesn't, somewhere between 18 - 22?

Obviously he would have to request to leave though which seems the most unlikely part.

Please correct me if I don't remember correctly, but according to Rocket Harley had 5-6 off field incidents (half not public) and put on trade after he assaulted a security at the night club and Suns publicly stated he will be moved on. I still remember the presser. Not sure what people expected he would be traded for after that. Extremely talented but definitely not a poor guy in my eyes unless you believe he is not responsible for his actions and all blame is on the club.
I don’t think anything you said is wrong. In fact you are correct The club shot itself in the foot by publicly stating during the season Harley would be traded at years end. totally disintegrated any leverage we had, it was DAF.

As for the “poor guy “ comment both can be true, Harley needed to take responsibility and the club could of and perhaps should of done more. In my eyes he was a talent lost to the game

Yep.
Target those teams that need picks - but see if we can get a mature player part of it.

Not sure for Thomas. I think he could be a really good player, particularly in a good team.
Depends how the rest of his year pans out. If he returns to form, somewhere between 12 - 15?
If he doesn't, somewhere between 18 - 22?

Obviously he would have to request to leave though which seems the most unlikely part.

Thomas could be a superstar, he was getting Petracca comparisons at the same age and coming off pretty even. Yes CP5 did start his career slow from knee injuries but both were in struggling sides.

Not sure what he’s doing this year I know he broke his ribs but still… not being able to get a game in this side is laughable.

Goalkicking mid potentially available from the 2018 super draft? Yes please

Pic attached is both players age 21

IMG_3159.JPG

Thomas could be a superstar, he was getting Petracca comparisons at the same age and coming off pretty even. Yes CP5 did start his career slow from knee injuries but both were in struggling sides.

Not sure what he’s doing this year I know he broke his ribs but still… not being able to get a game in this side is laughable.

Goalkicking mid potentially available from the 2018 super draft? Yes please

Pic attached is both players age 21

View attachment 1427638
Yeah, his last year was superb.
Could easily see him playing half forward. Kicking 35+ goals and coming into the midfield for meaningful minutes.

Noah Anderson is a beast. **** outta here saying otherwise, you can fight me.

lol

Question re: Jordan De Goey.
Talk about him on the couch.
Apparently St Kilda offering him 5 years 1 million

Is he even that good?

21 possessions, 3.8 marks, 2.5 tackles
12 goals
19th in the league in centre clearances.

I mean he's clearly quite a good player - but is he really at that level?

I swear half of it is his name, his look, the Collingwood boost.

Greene, Heeney, Bailey, Bolton even Dylan Moore arguably having better seasons as high half forwards
Bontempelli, Petracca, Neale, Treloar, Parker, Gresham even Nic martin having better seasons as goal kicking mids.

Question re: Jordan De Goey.
Talk about him on the couch.
Apparently St Kilda offering him 5 years 1 million

Is he even that good?

21 possessions, 3.8 marks, 2.5 tackles
12 goals
19th in the league in centre clearances.

I mean he's clearly quite a good player - but is he really at that level?

I swear half of it is his name, his look, the Collingwood boost.

Greene, Heeney, Bailey, Bolton even Dylan Moore arguably having better seasons as high half forwards
Bontempelli, Petracca, Neale, Treloar, Parker, Gresham even Nic martin having better seasons as goal kicking mids.
700k max to get him as RFA so yes 1mil is overs but saints have paid overs to Hannebery & Hill in recent years.

Way too much baggage, Pies would want a first round compo to let him go. They have to let him go. Do they really want to be stuck with him for his next stuff up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back