No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breust is elite at drawing free kicks. And he manages to fly completely under the radar doing it.
Breust is a man of honour and class. His free kick drawing skills are similar to a white collar crime.

Joel Selwood, comparatively, is more of your train station eshay style of criminal

Breust is elite at drawing free kicks. And he manages to fly completely under the radar doing it.
Breust gets free kicks, he doesn't draw them. The free kicks are incidental. Find me one instance of Breust intentionally falling into high contact in a tackle.

In terms of Hawks who do, Puopolo did it and Moore does it now.

Breust gets free kicks, he doesn't draw them. The free kicks are incidental. Find me one instance of Breust intentionally falling into high contact in a tackle.

Moore has sorta changed his ways from what I’ve seen personally. He was really bad to start the year but he’s sorta like Breust is now in just earning it through being first to the ball and an eager player.

Breust knows what he is doing - he drew a few on Sunday.
Breust is a man of honour and class. His free kick drawing skills are similar to a white collar crime.

Joel Selwood, comparatively, is more of your train station eshay style of criminal
Correct

Breust knows what he is doing - he drew a few on Sunday.

Correct
He might have drawn one, the push in the back in the first. Even if he exaggerated it, it was there. He really isn't the type of bloke who draws frees though. He barely ever gets caught in tackles let alone forces them high.

Chris Scott says Joel just tries to evade the tackle. He doesn’t duck or shrug, no way.

View attachment 1450268
Bullshit Scott. He leads with his head other times as well to draw a free kick. The Cripps one Saturday night is a case in point. Why bother even asking Chris his opinions he will spin it to protect Selwood.

The "total free kicks" table posted above by QuietB doesn't really tell the full story, as the way the game is adjudicated has changed over the years. The clue should be in the era that Selwood has played in, compared with the other players in that table.

I think I am right in saying that Selwood is clear #1 when it comes to "free kick for/against differential"? By a country mile if I remember correctly.

Anyway, the chance to bag out Joel Selwood aside, the proposed AFL adjudication change will only leave even more grey areas for fans to get frustrated over. Where one umpire thinks a player contributed to high contact, another ump will think that the tackled player's actions were reasonable. I mean you only have to think back a couple of days to the absolutely inept "high tackle" decision against Bruest to realise that, whatever happens, we as fans will still have plenty of decisions to complain about!

I screenshotted this because the article has since been deleted. It was always odd that Geelong denied having Dank at the club, Cameron Mooney would always say he was never at Geelong, yet before he became a controversial figure they were lauding his involvement.

View attachment 1450407

Jimmy Bartell and Gary Ablet Jnr DO NOT LIKE THIS POST

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see how this plays out, could be big ramifications.
Wasnt he playing local footy for quite a while post AFL?
Pretty sure a few mates played against him at Abers.

Joel Selwood has 8,608 career disposal. 879 of these are free kicks - 9th all time record

View attachment 1450582
I've always felt that the insane part is he's the only player from the 21st century in that list. For context as to why that's so ridiculous, he's received that many frees despite free kicks awarded being less than 50% of what they were in the 1970s.

Average FF per game across the decades:

1970s = 40
1980s = 32
1990s = 22
2000s = 17
2010s = 19

I've always felt that the insane part is he's the only player from the 21st century in that list. For context as to why that's so ridiculous, he's received that many frees despite free kicks awarded being less than 50% of what they were in the 1970s.

1970s = 40
1980s = 32
1990s = 22
2000s = 17
2010s = 19
He is truly an "outlier"

1970s = 40
1980s = 32
1990s = 22
2000s = 17
2010s = 19

40 per game in the 70s? Jesus - all the old timers yelling 'you are ruining the game' to the umpires obviously have forgotten this one.

40 per game in the 70s? Jesus - all the old timers yelling 'you are ruining the game' to the umpires obviously have forgotten this one.

39 of them were obvious to everyone at the ground though. Rules were clear, blokes were made to "earn it" and umpires blew the whistle instantly.

Loose Ball Contest -> Pack Forms -> Whistle -> Free Kick taken only took a fraction of the time it takes now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back