Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri - signed thru '29 - 2024 All Australian squad member - runner up '24 SBM

Remove this Banner Ad

Unsurprisingly Goldstein eclipses him in every category at the same age.

1662522822021.png

However Hamish was a much closer comparison.

1662522883009.png

I'd just about call them even overall. Hamish better as an all round player (marks and possessions) but Tristan stronger in more ruck oriented metrics (hitouts, tackles).

View attachment 1501745

View attachment 1501746

I'd just about call them even overall. Hamish better as an all round player (marks and possessions) but Tristan stronger in more ruck oriented metrics (hitouts, tackles).
I'm not sure those stats reflect how good HMac was in '07. Dude was nailing goals from outside 50 on the run and had genuine presence.

I'm not sure those stats reflect how good HMac was in '07. Dude was nailing goals from outside 50 on the run and had genuine presence.

Agree I thought he had a great season so was surprised the stats were as comparable as they were.

It's more a concession Tristan might be tracking ok than dragging big Hamish down.

View attachment 1501745

View attachment 1501746

Goldy had also played 58 games by the end of 2011
X is on 24

Xerri and CJ have different strengths but I'd take Xerri before CJ every time. He is a much better ruckman.

Probably agree. CJ has more elements of a forward-ruck but to date not a particularly effective one.

Xerri gives signs he could be a serviceable 1st ruck, as in perform the core duties of a ruckman without too many additional bells and whistles.

Probably agree. CJ has more elements of a forward-ruck but to date not a particularly effective one.

Xerri gives signs he could be a serviceable 1st ruck, as in perform the core duties of a ruckman without too many additional bells and whistles.
He should be watching Toby Nankervis vision non-stop. That's the blue-print for Tristan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we're being too down on Xerri because we've been spoiled by having Goldy for so long. X is a perfectly fine ruckman, he's unfortunately not one of the best tap ruckmen of all time who's also an incredibly crafty stoppage midfielder, a great runner who covers the ground all day getting to dangerous positions, and a great contested marking goal kicker.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens with xerri and CCJ under clarko.
Both really need a strong fitness regime and stability.
Doesn't have to be an elite ruckman but he needs to be able to run out a game and compete.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens with xerri and CCJ under clarko.
Both really need a strong fitness regime and stability.
Doesn't have to be an elite ruckman but he needs to be able to run out a game and compete.
& Monkey 😉

You think Xerri is AFL standard?
You’ve never seen Hunter Clark play if you think we’d get him in a straight swap for Xerri.

Would you put 5 years of development into Josh Goater and then trade him in a straight swap for Lloyd Meek? Not a perfect comparison but that’s essentially the North version of what you just proposed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri - signed thru '29 - 2024 All Australian squad member - runner up '24 SBM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back