2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Something feels really weird about the Bowes trade. Am I the only one that finds this strange? Maybe they're using pick 7 in the trade for a salary dump but, also, to get him to his choice of club because they know they haven't been fair to him this season?

Also, I feel like they just gave up on that draft class. It's like they weren't developed well because there wasn't internal pressure on positions to keep their spots. I also wonder if his age bracket doesn't suit when they're predicting to really compete in finals?

I really thought Bowes was going to be the future vice captain and just work through developing his game like Touk. I guess I'm just disappointed about the whole thing. Does anyone else feel like this or at least feel a bit strange about the trade?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221010_192343.jpg
    Screenshot_20221010_192343.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 55

Something feels really weird about the Bowes trade. Am I the only one that finds this strange? Maybe they're using pick 7 in the trade for a salary dump but, also, to get him to his choice of club because they know they haven't been fair to him this season?

Also, I feel like they just gave up on that draft class. It's like they weren't developed well because there wasn't internal pressure on positions to keep their spots. I also wonder if his age bracket doesn't suit when they're predicting to really compete in finals?

I really thought Bowes was going to be the future vice captain and just work through developing his game like Touk. I guess I'm just disappointed about the whole thing. Does anyone else feel like this or at least feel a bit strange about the trade?
To be honest, I followed him leading into his draft year until today and have wondered when he would deliver on the hyped potential - I could never really see it. Great guy, loyal clubman, and every year we bring in more talent and some with leadership potential like Noah. Jack is not best 22 and not likely to be when fully fit and if we want to compete at the pointy end the club need to comes first and hard decisions need be made even if it is off the back of poor previous decisions.

Cameron was on Sportsday radio. He did not mention Fiorini when asked about anything else happening (besides Bowes and potentially Sharp). I got feeling, Fiorini could be staying.

I liked his answer on 'disrespectul' feeder club question. Also if the created cap space is to re-sign Anderson, Rowel.

He sounds either incredibly touchy or arrogant around the questions of giving away pic seven with Jack Bowes, not sure which but seems convinced of the need to clear space to bring on mature players. I would love to know if there are actual players lined up to join or whether he just thinks it will magically happen.

IMO all that is important now is signing on Rowell and Anderson over the summer to long term deals. Gotta get them both signed up ASAP before the season starts to prevent VIC vultures from circling

There would have to be a lot go wrong for us to lose Rowell. No as sure on Anderson. I'm still very confident, but i'm 100% on Rowell.

He sounds either incredibly touchy or arrogant around the questions of giving away pic seven with Jack Bowes, not sure which but seems convinced of the need to clear space to bring on mature players. I would love to know if there are actual players lined up to join or whether he just thinks it will magically happen.
By the times Bowes gets done, we won't be able to land a big fish this window.

He better land someone A grade next year.

2023 Notables Out of Contract:
ADL: Darcy Fogarty
BL: Eric Hipwood (RFA)
CARL: Sam Docherty (UFA), Tom De Koning
COLL: Jack Crisp (RFA), Jeremy Howe (RFA), Scott Pendlebury, Steele Sidebottom
ESS: Ben Hobbs, Darcy Parish (RFA), Mason Redman (RFA)
FRE: Caleb Serong, Luke Ryan, Nat Fyfe (UFA)
GEE: Mark Blicavs (UFA), Sam De Koning, Tom Atkins
GWS: Finn Callaghan, Harry Himmelberg (RFA), Jacob Hopper (RFA), Lachie Ash, Tom Green
HAW: Chad Wingard, Dylan Moore, Jaeger O'Meara, Jai Newcombe, Josh Ward, Tom Mitchell, Will Day
MELB: Kysaiah Pickett, Steven May
NM: Ben McKay (RFA), Luke Davies-Uniacke
PORT: Charlie Dixon (RFA), Kane Farrell, Miles Bergman, Mitch Georgiades
RICH: Jack Graham, Nathan Broad (RFA), Noah Balta, Shai Bolton
STK: Hunter Clark, Jade Gresham (RFA), Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, Nick Coffield
SYD: Dane Rampe (UFA), Dylan Stephens, Lance Franklin
WCE: Jeremy McGovern (UFA), Luke Shuey (UFA)
WB: Ed Richards, Sam Darcy, Tom Liberatore (UFA)

I'd do anything for Davies-Uniacke

GWS: Finn Callaghan, Harry Himmelberg (RFA), Jacob Hopper (RFA), Lachie Ash, Tom Green
HAW: Chad Wingard, Dylan Moore, Jaeger O'Meara, Jai Newcombe, Josh Ward, Tom Mitchell, Will Day

You should also look at players with 1 year still remaining on the contract.

You should also look at players with 1 year still remaining on the contract.
Sure;

Out of Contract in 2024

ADEL: Ben Keays, Sam Berry
BRIS: Brandon Starcevich, Hugh McCluggage (RFA), Jack Payne, Jarrod Berry (RFA), Kiddy Coleman, Noah Answerth, Zac Bailey
CARL:
COLL: Jack Ginnivan, Josh Daicos (RFA)
ESS: Andrew McGrath (RFA), Archie Perkins, Jye Caldwell, Nic Martin
FREM: Brennan Cox (RFA), Nathan O'Driscoll, Sean Darcy (RFA)
GEEL: Max Holmes, Mitch Duncan (UFA), Patrick Dangerfield (RFA), Tom Stewart (RFA)
GWS: Harry Perryman (RFA), Isaac Cumming (RFA)
HAW: Blake Hardwick (RFA), Changkuoth Jiath (RFA), Denver Grainger-Barras, Jack Scrimshaw, Luke Bruest (UFA)
MELB: Jake Lever
NM: Bailey Scott, Cam Zurhaar (RFA), Jy Simpkin (RFA), Nick Larkey (RFA), Tarryn Thomas, Tom Powell, Will Phillips
PORT: Aliir Aliir, Connor Rozee, Todd Marshall (RFA), Xavier Duursma
RICH: Dion Prestia (RFA), Dustin Martin (UFA), Liam Baker, Maurice Rioli Jr
STK: Dougal Howard, Jack Sinclair (UFA)
SYD: Errol Gulden, James Rowbottom, Logan McDonald, Nick Blakey, Oliver Florent (RFA), Will Hayward (RFA)
WCE: Andrew Gaff (UFA), Elliott Yeo (UFA), Liam Duggan (UFA), Liam Ryan
WB: Aaron Naughton, Bailey Smith, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Tim English (RFA)

Sure;

Out of Contract in 2024

ADEL: Ben Keays, Sam Berry
BRIS: Brandon Starcevich, Hugh McCluggage (RFA), Jack Payne, Jarrod Berry (RFA), Kiddy Coleman, Noah Answerth, Zac Bailey
CARL:
COLL: Jack Ginnivan, Josh Daicos (RFA)
ESS: Andrew McGrath (RFA), Archie Perkins, Jye Caldwell, Nic Martin
FREM: Brennan Cox (RFA), Nathan O'Driscoll, Sean Darcy (RFA)
GEEL: Max Holmes, Mitch Duncan (UFA), Patrick Dangerfield (RFA), Tom Stewart (RFA)
GWS: Harry Perryman (RFA), Isaac Cumming (RFA)
HAW: Blake Hardwick (RFA), Changkuoth Jiath (RFA), Denver Grainger-Barras, Jack Scrimshaw, Luke Bruest (UFA)
MELB: Jake Lever
NM: Bailey Scott, Cam Zurhaar (RFA), Jy Simpkin (RFA), Nick Larkey (RFA), Tarryn Thomas, Tom Powell, Will Phillips
PORT: Aliir Aliir, Connor Rozee, Todd Marshall (RFA), Xavier Duursma
RICH: Dion Prestia (RFA), Dustin Martin (UFA), Liam Baker, Maurice Rioli Jr
STK: Dougal Howard, Jack Sinclair (UFA)
SYD: Errol Gulden, James Rowbottom, Logan McDonald, Nick Blakey, Oliver Florent (RFA), Will Hayward (RFA)
WCE: Andrew Gaff (UFA), Elliott Yeo (UFA), Liam Duggan (UFA), Liam Ryan
WB: Aaron Naughton, Bailey Smith, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Tim English (RFA)
Changkuoth Jiath would be an incredible get.

It's basically trading out Rankine and Bowes to move up 2 places in the draft from 5 to 7? A pretty s**t deal if you look at it that way.
People can ark up at this all they want but it's true. I said it a week ago but we've basically come out of this trade period giving up Bowes, Rankine and pick 7 for pick 5 and some points for Jed Walter who we were going to be able to match points for anyway.

Yes we saved some money for the future but we haven't brought anyone in and if we re-sign Anderson and Rowell even this summer their contracts wont come into effect until 2024 so there has been absolutely no need to bank all this extra money for 2023 anyway.

disaster of a trade period.

People can ark up at this all they want but it's true. I said it a week ago but we've basically come out of this trade period giving up Bowes, Rankine and pick 7 for pick 5 and some points for Jed Walter who we were going to be able to match points for anyway.

Yes we saved some money for the future but we haven't brought anyone in and if we re-sign Anderson and Rowell even this summer their contracts wont come into effect until 2024 so there has been absolutely no need to bank all this extra money for 2023 anyway.

disaster of a trade period.

Agree with what you’ve said.

I’m not a nerd on the salary cap but I’m gonna use the Carlton fans examples.

Something bout paying 95% of the cap so the next year they can pay 105%, or something like that.

Think that’s what we’re doing. Save $1.5mil this year so 2023 we can go over the cap $1.5mil.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to give Sam De Koning (Geelong) an offer he can’t refuse.

Looks like drafting 4 x 18yr old academy kids will win us the premiership in 2024 😤

FYI
This years possible pick 1 key forward Camden was a 194cm late first round wingman last year as a 17yr old.

So to sending all our picks to 2023 for Jed is amateurish at best.

Who knows where he might end up.. possible second rd 🤷🏽‍♂️
Lots of hype now from people who haven't ever seen these 4 Academy guys in our 2023 draft. I have. Jed will certainly be drafted but not necessarily in top 10 - Ethan Reid also looks to be a solid chance but needs to bulk up considerably over the next 12 months. Jake Rogers will also be seriously considered but will depend on how he goes next year and Will Graham will have to prove the doubters wrong over his two knee reco's. I believe Jake won the Academy U18 MVP Award recently and that won't hurt his chances. There's a lot of pressure on these four to turn the tide. I'd say we should also be focusing on getting Anderson, Rowell and also Ben King's signature on long term deals ASAP OR the whole Rankine scenario will dog us through 2023 - leading to further indecision and doubt from the next level players. ...and re Rankine: he's clearly taken the money but sensibly only signed for 3 years. Let him play in 2023 and discover the Crows aren't where he should be and then let Lemmens and co start working on him in 2024 to request a trade back. In the end though it all sits on Dew's very broad shoulders - get in the 8 OR it's all over for him and we start again.

If we lose Anderson or Rowell we may as well shut the doors, all this clearing of cap space has been to ensure we can afford them.
Their managers will know this as well. And we are going to have to contend with some massive offers from the Melbourne teams. Hawthorn especially will throw a huge number at Anderson you’d imagine. Really gonna test the boys’ loyalty.

If Hawks overpay for Meek, currently offering F3 and give their F2.

I can see Freo offering Us either Norths F2 or Hawks F2 for Sharp.

Hawks have gone full tank mode if they get Titch & JOM out the door. Favourites to be last

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back