2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some interesting names. McKay would be excellent for the Suns, as would Gresham.

Would love McKay but I guess if Graham can turn into an afl player may not be a necessity. Gresham is a very good player and gut feel is he would be the most likely to be gettable for us. I like redman and if weller, Powell, Budarick struggle in their comebacks he may be top of the list as a need. Of the non free agents, would love to have kozzy pickett in our forward 50. Our biggest priority is still retention of the young guns we have but one of these guys might just launch us right up the ladder.

Dylan Williams for port was a guy that was slated as very talented.
Went about 20th in his draft - 2019 I think.

Had some injuries but put a string of games together in the SANFL last year that seemed decent. Had a few bags of goals and a few games with 25+ possessions.
With Rioli, rozee, butters, spp, jhf, fantasia it’s hard to get a game.
They also bought in Francis evans and played Jed mcentee a few times last year.

Maybe that means he isn’t that good, but one I’d like to keep an eye on.

Dylan Williams for port was a guy that was slated as very talented.
Went about 20th in his draft - 2019 I think.

Had some injuries but put a string of games together in the SANFL last year that seemed decent. Had a few bags of goals and a few games with 25+ possessions.
With Rioli, rozee, butters, spp, jhf, fantasia it’s hard to get a game.
They also bought in Francis evans and played Jed mcentee a few times last year.

Maybe that means he isn’t that good, but one I’d like to keep an eye on.
Do you think we're in need of project players now? I would say there are plenty of young blokes with potential already at the club, and more are due over the next few years through the academy.

Just imo but I'd hope we only look at senior players for specific reasons for a while. Long would be an example of that, even though I don't rate him at all. And those we get, their personality is as important as their ability. Blokes like Ellis are the ones you want to bring the right attitude.

Do you think we're in need of project players now? I would say there are plenty of young blokes with potential already at the club, and more are due over the next few years through the academy.

Just imo but I'd hope we only look at senior players for specific reasons for a while. Long would be an example of that, even though I don't rate him at all. And those we get, their personality is as important as their ability. Blokes like Ellis are the ones you want to bring the right attitude.
Yeah you’re right.
I think it’s important to keep drip feeding the list with young talent even in scenarios where you’re ready for final four action.

But as you mention with a bunch of academy kids lined up for the next 2 drafts we can afford the focus on acquiring some mature upgrades on best 22 or gap fillers for areas of particular need.

I’ll be interested to see what happens with Williams. Just remember him being talked up a lot around draft time and hasn’t really raised a blip on the AFL radar since.

On draft and trading board we have some Adelaide posters saying Jordan butts is amongst their most important players.

Compared with Caleb Graham his stats are almost identical, although Graham has way more 1 %ers.

Maybe the full press conference announcement for the contract extension was warranted!

I’m not sure how our salary cap is but if there is space of the list of uncontracted players I wouldn’t mind us having a crack at Noah Balta. If we have a draft pick before our academy players it could be a good starting point

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m not sure how our salary cap is but if there is space of the list of uncontracted players I wouldn’t mind us having a crack at Noah Balta. If we have a draft pick before our academy players it could be a good starting point

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Would be a game changer.
Looked like an absolute beast in the making at full back a couple of years ago but seems to have stalled / played forward a bit.

Yeah you’re right.
I think it’s important to keep drip feeding the list with young talent even in scenarios where you’re ready for final four action.

But as you mention with a bunch of academy kids lined up for the next 2 drafts we can afford the focus on acquiring some mature upgrades on best 22 or gap fillers for areas of particular need.

I’ll be interested to see what happens with Williams. Just remember him being talked up a lot around draft time and hasn’t really raised a blip on the AFL radar since.
Probably next 3 drafts, going by word on our board.

Thats the kid that won the medal for best player at the national carnival. Having watched 4 of the QLD games, it is a mystery how that happened. Decent user of the footy, but sleeps with three lights on.

The best kids in the QLD side were Jie Murray, daylight, then Oscar Barry and Dan Annabel and followed closely by a kid called Jack Harrison.

Murray is a suns kid, the rest are Lions. Barry and Annabel are super players, Barry is a real beast of a kid - but his test will be continuing to dominate when other kids catch up to him physically, though you absolutely cannot teach the aggression and work rate he has. Annabel has a touch of class and is good inside around the contest.

Probably next 3 drafts, going by word on our board.
We've been led to believe both Jai Murray and Beau Addinsall are potential future AFL players but it's exciting to read Jai Murray appears to be the best player in all of Queensland for that age group. Really seems like our academy is kicking on now and we're about to reap the benefits.

I reckon our cap is pretty good, if you look at Rankine only offered 600k

I could see a world where king luko and Rowell are all
With touk 750k

Plenty of growth to come

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going by social media seems like a lot of the guys let their hair down this weekend. Good to see, have some fun before the serious stuff starts

Big training camp and then get a few days off to relax. Sounds fair to me

We've been led to believe both Jai Murray and Beau Addinsall are potential future AFL players but it's exciting to read Jai Murray appears to be the best player in all of Queensland for that age group. Really seems like our academy is kicking on now and we're about to reap the benefits.

there are 6-10 draftable kids coming through the Suns Academy aged 15-18. Obviously with one this year who is a certain first rounder.

Much better position talent wise than the Lions for the same age groups.

Just going to throw it out there... do we potentially look at bringing Dixon back at the end of this year if Casboult retires and we feel Walter isn't 100% ready to play a full season in 2024? Dicko seems to think he has another 2-3 years in him beyond 2023 and is off contract at the end of this year. He also looks very fit at the moment and appears to have slimmed down like Max Gawn did a few years ago.

Bringing big Charlie back home would certainly be a feel good story for some of us. We lose a Coch but we gain a Big Dick(o) in the same year.

Just going to throw it out there... do we potentially look at bringing Dixon back at the end of this year if Casboult retires and we feel Walter isn't 100% ready to play a full season in 2024? Dicko seems to think he has another 2-3 years in him beyond 2023 and is off contract at the end of this year. He also looks very fit at the moment and appears to have slimmed down like Max Gawn did a few years ago.

Bringing big Charlie back home would certainly be a feel good story for some of us. We lose a Coch but we gain a Big Dick(o) in the same year.
Dixon would be on more money than Casboult… plus we will have Chol, King, Jeffrey and Lukosius as tall targets next year excluding Casboult. So do we need Dixon?

King, chol, Jeffery, luko seems enough to me. Walter seems pretty advanced physically and could slot in early if needed also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back