Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Which of these players do you think will be selected in the Crows' Round 1 team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to see Taylor get a few games too. Prob needs to press his case in the SANFL for a good few weeks.
Yeah Taylor won’t be round 1 but I’d love to see him at some point. I’d throw him straight in the guts after a good stretch of form, a bit like Berry at the start of last year

Didn’t this whole argument start with a comment from a Keays critic that we’d never win a flag with him in our midfield rotation?
And that’s how we got onto the 97/98 player comparisons?
And no, I’m not searching the thread to find it. 🤣

Could have been me that kicked it off. I replied to someone saying that if we play finals in a couple of years I can almost guarantee that Keays will be in the side.

Someone inserted some McLeod highlights in relation to a quality vs quantity comment I made, then I referenced the fact that Matt Connell played in out premierships and he is a good comparison to Keays.

Insert snowball.

Could have been me that kicked it off. I replied to someone saying that if we play finals in a couple of years I can almost guarantee that Keays will be in the side.

Someone inserted some McLeod highlights in relation to a quality vs quantity comment I made, then I referenced the fact that Matt Connell played in out premierships and he is a good comparison to Keays.

Insert snowball.
Speaking of Bunji.. (and stats 🤣)

He was
All-Australian Captain
International Rules Captain
Dream Team Captain

Did he ever get a stand-in Captaincy for the Crows?

I'm not the one melting. Keays was one of the best performed mids in the whole league early last year until he did his injury which clearly hampered him afterwards.

I'd prefer to be optimistic about 2023. I'll join you in rounds 3 or 4 if he doesn't perform, but I think benefit of doubt should be in Ben's corner given the credits he showed early in 2022.

Laird, Keays, Berry and Schoenberg with spurts from Rankine + Rachele could be good enough to give our forwards time to shine.
Reality is we don't have anyone better.

Dowling and Bond won't play.
Dawson isn't a mid. Wing maybe.
Jones and McHenry aren't going to make it as mids.
No one wants Crouch unless he shows a complete reversal in form.
Sloane was past it before his knee.
Pedlar needs to get a game before he can be considered a reliable mid.
Soligo is probably two years away from being able to physically compete for a whole game in the midfield.
Rankine probably 12 months away.

Who realistically replaces him?
Are you saying Bond and Dowling won't play at all this season in the AFL?
I can see both getting a run at some stage, get the guys with better disposal skills in the team.
This team needs players that can hit targets, both of these lads look very competent users of the ball.
We'll see!

Speaking of Bunji.. (and stats )

He was
All-Australian Captain
International Rules Captain
Dream Team Captain

Did he ever get a stand-in Captaincy for the Crows?
Just did a quick Google and can't see any references of him ever being an acting skipper.

Played under three of our strongest leaders ever in Bickley, Roo and Goody.

Who's our 1997 version of Goodwin, Edwards, Roo & Bunji?

Rankine, Rachele, Berry & Soligo?

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

This whole who was good and who was not in our 97/98 GF teams all stems from some in here thinking we can have a couple of poorly skilled/poor decision making players like Keays in our current team because “we had a couple in our Premiership teams back then”.

Its a ludicrous argument. You dont keep playing your poorly skilled players when you have highly skilled ones beating the door down trying to get into the 22..

What those pursuing such an argument need to do is then go back to 97/98.. tell us which “poorly skilled” guys they are talking about (and I’ve seen Kym Koster name mentioned as one) and name the players in the seconds that shouldve come into the 22 at the time to replace them.

Thats the difference. Also.. We are, in 2023, a rebuilding team, that aint playing in a GF anytime soon, with a few young players with far more potential than Ben Keays that we should be focusing on bringing in over Ben.

Comparing this to our 97/98 team and using it to somehow justify keeping Ben in the 22 is just fxxkn silly..

Two completely different teams.. two completely different situations.

As you say “if you have better ones beating down the door” but they aren’t yet. Cook was lucky to make the Sanfl team late in the year and hasn’t been spoken of much in any of the updates I have seen. I really like him but he needs a rocket. Taylor May well be one that gets in front of Keays early in the season - I feel Nank still has a way to go

As I replied to Brett’s post - I hope Keays can’t get a game I the next couple of years because it means we would be bloody good - replaced his effort with guys that have better skills and similar effort. That’s what we all want

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Did we have that many?
Modra during the year but injured so didnt play in GF
McLeod - Though he was only 21 but did win the Best and Fairest that year
Hart - Legend. 23 years old so also still young but had 2 AA's already so he belongs
Rehn - Coming back from 2 x ACL and slowly got back to his best come finals but not during season so dont count him.
Jarman - Yes
Smart - Yes
So 6 Guns but Rehn coming back from ACL. Mods didnt evern play in GF.

In 1998 really it was the same players except Mods was out for most of the year and not picked for the finals and Rehn was back to his absolute best and McLeod turned into a freak and Goody stepped up. The grand final also has lesser lights of Johnson, Eccles and Theissen have great second halfs.

Liptak was pretty good through that period as well - missed the 97 GF due to injury but I think won a B&F and maybe an AA nod as well.
Vardy a surprise packet as well during that time

Roo obviously added to your list even though he didn’t impact in the actual days too much

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Honestly I don’t know what anyone bothers with what any of these flogs have to say
Because, when I'm driving somewhere ... and I've had my fill of BBC World Podcasts, the Always Sunny podcast / SizzleTown / Junktime AFL podcasts don't have anything new - I think how about I have quick squiz at what the Melbourne teams are feeding the media this week.

There is soooooo little AFL media worth digesting, that sometimes I make the mistake and think that the low level dribble might be better than singing Hilltop Hoods songs to myself. Back to option B.

Because, when I'm driving somewhere ... and I've had my fill of BBC World Podcasts, the Always Sunny podcast / SizzleTown / Junktime AFL podcasts don't have anything new - I think how about I have quick squiz at what the Melbourne teams are feeding the media this week.

There is soooooo little AFL media worth digesting, that sometimes I make the mistake and think that the low level dribble might be better than singing Hilltop Hoods songs to myself. Back to option B.
You should start following me on Spotify

You could listen to Nick Riewoldt’s favourite country tune.. BEA20199-9F09-49DC-B0AD-0EDADC6423CC.jpeg

Just did a quick Google and can't see any references of him ever being an acting skipper.

Played under three of our strongest leaders ever in Bickley, Roo and Goody.

Who's our 1997 version of Goodwin, Edwards, Roo & Bunji?

Rankine, Rachele, Berry & Soligo?

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Can only recall Bunji captaining the AA side against the Irish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon all those guys you mention will play mid minutes , Pedlar not too many as they will want to get him settled forward and fit and firing

Shoey yes
Soligo yes
Rankine yes but maybe wing as well
Rachele more a centre bounce drift forward type until fitter
Pedlar forward mainly for now
Agree with this except I'd have Rankin at centre bounce/forward and Rachelle as wing/forward.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looks like only thing holding him back is fitness because everything else is there
Yep, Taylor took it up to Laird in a practice match and only just had his colours lowered. Great sign of things to come. Some games this year and starting mid 2024 maybe.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ignoring the rubbish discussion on forwards ... Apparently Matt Crouch was a more probable candidate for captain in their minds than Dawson, because Jordan has only been at the club for 12 months.

Of course, we know what to expect ... it shouldn't surprise anyone, and yet when it is sooooo clear how little they know about clubs outside of Melbourne it does make me shake my head.
Guess they missed the fact the club told Crouch last year he would not be getting a new contract after 2023? :think:

( then again, could turn out the club changes its mind later in the year. )

Guess they missed the fact the club told Crouch last year he would not be getting a new contract after 2023? :think:

( then again, could turn out the club changes its mind later in the year. )
Did they?

Don't you mean some sections of the media ran with that but Nicks quickly put that to bed the next day or so?

A blunt Matthew Nicks has refuted a report that Matt Crouch will not be offered a new contract for 2024 before shutting down questions about the topic.
A TV story this week stated that Nicks had told Crouch he would not receive an extension when his deal expired at the end of 2023 and that the 27-year-old midfielder was furious.

On Friday, Nicks denied that, saying he was extremely disappointed at the report.
“Let me set the record straight and I won’t answer 100 questions around this,” Nicks said.

“There was a news article on Tuesday night that was incorrect.

“I have not had a conversation with Matt Crouch about his future.

“I’ve said this the whole way through, we’ve got a squad of 44 players who are all super important to what we’re doing and Matt is super important to what we’re doing.”

Pressed further about the Crouch situation, Nicks said “next one … next question”.

Did they?

Don't you mean some sections of the media ran with that but Nicks quickly put that to bed the next day or so?

A blunt Matthew Nicks has refuted a report that Matt Crouch will not be offered a new contract for 2024 before shutting down questions about the topic.
A TV story this week stated that Nicks had told Crouch he would not receive an extension when his deal expired at the end of 2023 and that the 27-year-old midfielder was furious.

On Friday, Nicks denied that, saying he was extremely disappointed at the report.
“Let me set the record straight and I won’t answer 100 questions around this,” Nicks said.

“There was a news article on Tuesday night that was incorrect.

“I have not had a conversation with Matt Crouch about his future.

“I’ve said this the whole way through, we’ve got a squad of 44 players who are all super important to what we’re doing and Matt is super important to what we’re doing.”

Pressed further about the Crouch situation, Nicks said “next one … next question”.
Fair enough - last I read was they weren't going to.

Are you saying Bond and Dowling won't play at all this season in the AFL?
I can see both getting a run at some stage, get the guys with better disposal skills in the team.
This team needs players that can hit targets, both of these lads look very competent users of the ball.
We'll see!
I would bet against it more than bet FOR it but always hopeful of new talent demanding a spot

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Back