Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't there talk at the time that it being difficult to get in was a good sign as it means the tendons are still tight?

Maybe that's why they aren't looking at surgery, the level of repair needed isn't necessarily surgery dependent.

But I'm no doc so...

You’re no doc? Well, whatever. It sounds good and I’m gonna back you in. I like it.

Lipinski dislocated his shoulder after getting it reconstructed last year. It's not guaranteed that surgy is a definite solution to the problem. Hopefully rehab, stegthening and a Chris Judd amount of tape can get him back on the park. We all know he deserves some good luck.

Spoke to someone who was at the season launch last night who chatted to Cunners and it seems that he’s not going down the surgery route mainly because he know that means season over/career over. So the non-surgery route is really his only (last) option.
if the medical advice was to have surgery, you reckon the Club wouldn't make it happen?

if the medical advice was to have surgery, you reckon the Club wouldn't make it happen?

Not sure it’s always as clear cut as that. You generally have options. If surgery was clearly a much better option then I assume he would have gone down that route, but sometime the better option is driven by personal circumstance.

Also what’s better in the short term may differ from what’s better in the long term. So maybe discretion is left to the player to make that call?

Last edited:
Cotton wool for Marchy

Missing a praccy match doesn't change how Voss sees and rates him.
No question on his talent, but major question marks on his ability to stay injury free, unless he can play 15+ games this year like others he will be under pressure.
Hard to win premierships when 5-6 players are missing for large periods of the season each season.

Not always black and white

i did mine twice in 2 weeks and had it looked at and was told 'i cant say you definitely need surgery, but you probably do. How about we see how it goes, if it pops again, we'll operate'

It never popped again.....

I would presume also that both club and player were like 'if you need surgery, it may be curtains at carlton - do you want to give it one more crack?'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i did mine twice in 2 weeks and had it looked at and was told 'i cant say you definitely need surgery, but you probably do. How about we see how it goes, if it pops again, we'll operate'

I would presume also that both club and player were like 'if you need surgery, it may be curtains at carlton - do you want to give it one more crack?'
I had an injury a while back and potentially needed surgery on my knee. When going to see the orthopaedic surgeon in my mind I'd decided that if he's 50-50 about it then I don't need it. His livelihood is on performing surgeries so if he's 50-50 about it then I don't need it, as even with his professional/livelihood bias he wasn't sure I'd need it.

I think people are too quick to go to surgery these days, athletes especially. I've heard lots of stories from former athletes saying they wish they didn't get this surgery or that surgery as it ultimately wasn't necessary and once you've been opened up no matter how good the surgery it's never quite the same again.

I don't mind being cautious with putting athletes under the knife.

I had an injury a while back and potentially needed surgery on my knee. When going to see the orthopaedic surgeon in my mind I'd decided that if he's 50-50 about it then I don't need it. His livelihood is on performing surgeries so if he's 50-50 about it then I don't need it, as even with his professional/livelihood bias he wasn't sure I'd need it.

I think people are too quick to go to surgery these days, athletes especially. I've heard lots of stories from former athletes saying they wish they didn't get this surgery or that surgery as it ultimately wasn't necessary and once you've been opened up no matter how good the surgery it's never quite the same again.

I don't mind being cautious with putting athletes under the knife.

My surgeon was hinting pretty hard to operate but he could see i wanted to give it another crack so went with the 'see how it goes, if it dislocates, we'll operate' and expecting me to be back within a week or two i reckon.

It subluxed plenty (next 2-3 years) after that but never fully dislocated so never had surgery. I put up with it and played another 10 years without it popping and now no-longer play footy i dont have any real issues with it

With AFL - its a business and players are there to make money, surgery will inevitably get it right and have them back out there fully fit so i can see why they'd do it. Local footy (and mainly reserves for me) so no real need to do it if i didnt have to 🤣

Cuningham is on his last chance so can see why he might not take the surgery option if it was indeed an option

Of course, but the doctors are the experts!

Ollie Wines - dislocated his early Feb 2020.

Had surgery - played Round 3.

No surgery presumably suggests a lesser injury?

And I would suggest if the Club made a comment like that, implied or literally, they would open themselves up to litigation frankly.

Of course, but the doctors are the experts!

Ollie Wines - dislocated his early Feb 2020.

Had surgery - played Round 3.

No surgery presumably suggests a lesser injury?

And I would suggest if the Club made a comment like that, implied or literally, they would open themselves up to litigation frankly.

Who knows?

But i wouldnt be surprised if Cuningham is giving it one last crack to see if he can get through without surgery. Wouldnt be surprised if he does it again in a month, has a full reco and career at carlton is done.

Hopefully it is alright and no longer an issue but with his luck, i wouldnt hold my breath.

Plenty of athletes out there who have had the shoulder surgery to help in the short term only for it to become chronic later on

Further, unless you're specifically involved, we simply do not know the severity of the damage done. It may not have been as severe as first thought. This can dramatically alter the decisions that are made.

That he's already showing marked signs of improvement demonstrates to me that it may not have been close to catastrophic.

Plenty of athletes out there who have had the shoulder surgery to help in the short term only for it to become chronic later on

Further, unless you're specifically involved, we simply do not know the severity of the damage done. It may not have been as severe as first thought. This can dramatically alter the decisions that are made
Lipinski had shoulder surgery in September and redid it in a practice match yesterday.

Lipinski had shoulder surgery in September and redid it in a practice match yesterday.

Exactly. Tragedy for him. No doubt he would have followed the rehab meticulously. Pies have good staff. Now as he's already had the surgery he's likely to be pushed in that direction again and he's stuck on a merry go round hoping for the right outcome.

Waiting for, "the club is ****ed, AR should be sacked, Walsh will miss the 1st half of the year"

"Sam Walsh is telling everybody that he is ready to go for round 1"

Last edited by a moderator:
"Sam Walsh is telling everybody that he's ready to go for Round 1..."

This is such Sam Walsh thing to do and I am no longer surprised... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back