Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's it, young guys being paid dream money to play footy. If you want to be a pro give it everything, if you want to do the dumb things young guys do, have fun then do it elsewhere.

The talent gap between successful and failed players is almost non existent, preparation and professionalism is the biggest difference.
Football & general IQ could also be added here....

Boy we have some unlucky injuries. Curnow out for years playing basketball with a setback from slipping on tiles... Cunners popping a shoulder play fighting with mates...

Boy we have some unlucky injuries. Curnow out for years playing basketball with a setback from slipping on tiles... Cunners popping a shoulder play fighting with mates...
Not to mention the Newman cut, Kreuzer heart, Marchbank neck, Curnow larynx. Some very weird injuries down at Ikon Park

I'm a bit conflicted about the Cunners injury

On one hand... You get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. You have one job - stay fit and healthy

On the other hand... Is it good club culture to say no play fighting, no arm wrestling, no piggybacks, no races up the stairs? In fact, ye shall not partaketh in any kind of fun or shenanigans that may result in injury.

There's 45 young guys, you've got to let them have some fun.

Obviously there is a line between fun and stupidity. But not sure where that line is in this case. Actually... I never know where that line is!

On one hand... You get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. You have one job - stay fit and healthy

On the other hand... Is it good club culture to say no play fighting, no arm wrestling, no piggybacks, no races up the stairs? In fact, ye shall not partaketh in any kind of fun or shenanigans that may result in injury.

Obviously there is a line between fun and stupidity. But not sure where that line is in this case. Actually... I never know where that line is!
I would argue we've tried to make players into robots. They spend literally days in sessions which tell them what they can't do. The obvious things like (casual) sex, drugs and rock n' roll, probably understandable but restricting other sports pursuits, social media, out of footy social activities ... it's gone way too far. Not to say it's all negative - the emphasis on education and volunteering has really improved in recent years and is a credit to the league and clubs.

If the players are not physically capable of undertaking a play-wrestle without breaking down then they probably are not a good fit for an AFL career. The fact the club would make a example of the player involved I reckon hurts culture more than it physically hurts the victim in this case. Brittle cultures and brittle players doesn't add up to success.

Many years ago, when living in Perth, I got to know via association one of the Boomers. We had a conversation on other activities outside basketball, and he said there were strict limits. He said that they were professionals paid large sums, and how would the employer or team feel if someone got injured. It stuck with me in terms of dedication and focus. As an aside, we also had a conversation about playing against what I saw as the unbeatable US. He said that you would never know when and if they would have an off day, so you give 100% 100% of the time. No wonder he played at several Olympics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These guys are full time professional athletes paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.

My heart bleeds for them that they have to abide by the rules set out by their employer.
Except that the "rules" go well beyond the boundaries of any regular workplace and are governed with extreme inequality.
For instance, it's ok for the club to demand wrestling during training but the moment training ends and the wrestling continues it turns into a quasi performance management process? Seriously.

Many years ago, when living in Perth, I got to know via association one of the Boomers. We had a conversation on other activities outside basketball, and he said there were strict limits. He said that they were professionals paid large sums, and how would the employer or team feel if someone got injured. It stuck with me in terms of dedication and focus. As an aside, we also had a conversation about playing against what I saw as the unbeatable US. He said that you would never know when and if they would have an off day, so you give 100% 100% of the time. No wonder he played at several Olympics.

I hope you ended the conversation with 'OK Boomer' :p

Last edited:
Except that the "rules" go well beyond the boundaries of any regular workplace and are governed with extreme inequality.

It's not exactly uncommon for workplaces to have rules in place to govern what employees can and cannot do.

We're not talking about a "regular workplace".

For instance, it's ok for the club to demand wrestling during training but the moment training ends and the wrestling continues it turns into a quasi performance management process? Seriously.

Are we really comparing tackling to unsupervised, nonsensical wrestling?

It's not exactly uncommon for workplaces to have rules in place to govern what employees can and cannot do.

We're not talking about a "regular workplace".

Are we really comparing tackling to unsupervised, nonsensical wrestling?
It's not a regular workplace - that's the point. Clubs/league don't employ best practice approaches because there's limited examples to follow. Half the time they just make rules up on the go and enforce curfews and other restrictions in a bid to create a "culture".
In other examples, they determine a response (usually a punishment) to an incident or issue based upon how highly a player/coach is paid or how important he/she might be to the team's success. The league does this all the time and the clubs follow suit.

And btw I was comparing the wrestling which is often officially trained with wrestling which, in this case, I understand occurred at the end of training but in the same facility. I didn't mention tackling as that is a different skill.

It's not a regular workplace - that's the point. Clubs/league don't employ best practice approaches because there's limited examples to follow. Half the time they just make rules up on the go and enforce curfews and other restrictions in a bid to create a "culture".
How do you know this? Got any specific examples?

In other examples, they determine a response (usually a punishment) to an incident or issue based upon how highly a player/coach is paid or how important he/she might be to the team's success. The league does this all the time and the clubs follow suit.
OK, but at some point the player/coach has to take some personal responsibility.

How about not putting yourself in a compromising position?
If you don't like it, there's the door - there are plenty of other professions out there that may be a better fit.

And btw I was comparing the wrestling which is often officially trained with wrestling which, in this case, I understand occurred at the end of training but in the same facility. I didn't mention tackling as that is a different skill.
So we are comparing supervised v unsupervised wrestling, there is a huge difference.

How do you know this? Got any specific examples?
Some examples from a two-minute google search:
Seems I'm not alone on this ...

I suspect Owies. They are good mates, and MO missed the Collingwood praccy the next day with “hamstring tightness”. Thinking he sat out as punishment.

Owies should be on thin ice as it is. Doesn’t score enough goals. Simple as that.

Still can’t get that chip kick backwards out of mind that he completely shanked in the last 30secs of the Melbourne game…

Some examples from a two-minute google search:
Seems I'm not alone on this ...

Right. So the issue is clubs have “control” over players outside of game day?

Should they revert to being simply anonymous members of society outside of the weekend?

I wonder if players would forego large contracts for match payments only.

Somehow I think not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back