Game Day Official Practice Match - Carlton v Sydney Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Like the inclusions of Dow & Big Durdin...

You'd imagine with no practice games and minimal preseasons
McGovern, Martin, Marchbank & Little Durdin are no go's for round 1...

Not at all. Gov would be a lock. Been involved in all match sims aside from the last few weeks and currently in full training. Durdin also likely for the same reasons unless Honey or Owies put in a huge performannce tonight. I think Marchbank and Martin miss as they actually have missed alot of preseason and aren't as clear locks for their roles (in my view).

I think last week was important for the teams confidence that we played well and took the win after what happened round 23.. Tonight is more about fitness and some of the fringe players vying for selection round 1, the result will be mostly irrelevant but would like to see a strong defensive structure and TDK to build on last week.

Will be interesting to see who gets Cripps CBAs. Based on preseason training you would think Doch but if we want him at half back in round 1 we probably want to play him there this practice game. Outside of him would be down to Curnow, Carroll, Dow. Hopefully not Curnow only because it wouldn't say much about where we see Carroll and Dow. Based on the named bench I think only one of Dow and Caroll play so we will know who is ahead out of those 2 by the end of tonight.

My guess of our midfield pecking order:

1. Cripps
2. Walsh
3. Hewett
4. Cerra
5. Kennedy
6. Docherty
7. Carroll
8. Curnow
9. Dow

The last 3 Im not sure on. Could be in any order and dependant on roles. Docherty and Kennedy could also be swapped but given our injuries down back I suspect we prefer Doch there unless we have another injury.

Fisher is the other one in the mix but I don't think we see him as a full time mid. More the 5th or 6th guy who gets the odd run through there. Hollands I think will be a wing / half forward only this year.

Starting midfield will certainly be Pitto, Kennedy, Hewett and Cerra, and would expect them to carry 75% of the CBA load.

Probably equal representation after that for whichever of Carroll, Curnow and Dow are named, as those three are arguably the next cabs off the rank for a starting mid spot if injuries/suspension force our hand.

Doc, I agree, will probably feature more down back, pushing up off the defensive 50 rather than starting at the centre bounce.

Can also see them throwing some of Acres, Fisher and Motlop in there on occasion, just one or two appearances each. They're all guys who will start in other positions every week, but we could turn to for the occasional spark of something different.

Plowman is the obvious like for like as the third defender.
I’m not saying Kemp should play this week ahead of Plowman, the selectors would obviously have more insight on that.
My point was more, Kemp isn’t playing this week ahead of Plowman and in the absence of McGovern and Marchbank and what does that tell us about his progress and current standing …

How can you leave out Plowman? Who will smother his own team-mates kicks with his own arse if he's not there?

Will be watching this game on my Cell Phone after quarter the time because the pride of Victorian Sokkah and the Kings of the A League, Melbourne City travel over to the land that time forgot to take on the nuffies of Adelaide (United) and I will be switching over to that naturally on my Tube (TV)

There is a quiet confidence and swag in us City Boyz these days after almost a decade of being a joke in the league, but never forget all the dark days and years where we went months without winning games.

I want to experience that same feeling of knowing my team is the best in the land with Carlton again ASAP. Never gets old winning !

Like the inclusions of Dow & Big Durdin...

You'd imagine with no practice games and minimal preseasons
McGovern, Martin, Marchbank & Little Durdin are no go's for round 1...
McGovern more likely than unlikely - he’s not injured and has had a good pre-season.
Martin is ready to go but hasn’t seen a lot of match practice.
Durdin unlikely for round 1 but you’ll see him early in the season.
Marchbank no chance.

Will be watching this game on my Cell Phone after quarter the time because the pride of Victorian Sokkah and the Kings of the A League, Melbourne City travel over to the land that time forgot to take on the nuffies of Adelaide (United) and I will be switching over to that naturally on my Tube (TV)

There is a quiet confidence and swag in us City Boyz these days after almost a decade of being a joke in the league, but never forget all the dark days and years where we went months without winning games.

I want to experience that same feeling of knowing my team is the best in the land with Carlton again ASAP. Never gets old winning !
You gotta love the smell of those petro chemical dollars burning Elmer.

It's almost like Kemp is a developing young player...

Kemp is entering his 4th season and turns 22 this year.

To this point he hasnt really shown anything in terms of afl skills. He doesnt really get the ball, doesnt kick goals, disposal is fine. Phyaically he is undersized for a KP and he doesnt really have an obvious position to develop into. He also has a bad injury history.

You would think this is his year to step up if it is gping to happen, so here is hoping. I dont think the club has helped by shunting him all over the field rather than sticking to a single role as he at least finds his feet at AFL pace. Could be one of those guys thag goes away to the VFL for a year or two and rebounds somewhere else imo

Starting midfield will certainly be Pitto, Kennedy, Hewett and Cerra, and would expect them to carry 75% of the CBA load.

Probably equal representation after that for whichever of Carroll, Curnow and Dow are named, as those three are arguably the next cabs off the rank for a starting mid spot if injuries/suspension force our hand.

Doc, I agree, will probably feature more down back, pushing up off the defensive 50 rather than starting at the centre bounce.

Can also see them throwing some of Acres, Fisher and Motlop in there on occasion, just one or two appearances each. They're all guys who will start in other positions every week, but we could turn to for the occasional spark of something different.

Hasnt Doc been permanently shifted midfield? I liked him there at the end of last year, and it is easier to cover weaknesses down back. We still have Saad, Weitering and co so a fiar bit of experiencd there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hasnt Doc been permanently shifted midfield? I liked him there at the end of last year, and it is easier to cover weaknesses down back. We still have Saad, Weitering and co so a fiar bit of experiencd there.

Doc played in all areas of the ground last weekend. I think tonight will provide some clarity.

Wondering how much Voss shows, not expecting too much before the season kicks off

Although, interested in seeing what our fringe 22 show, in terms of intent and composure
liked the composure last week v Pies. Players seemed very focussed on playing percentages and to the team plan, all over the ground.

On your KPF point McDonald is going to be a star. They have Longmire who imo has been the best coach in the AFL for a bit now and a young list with players that still are yet to even come close to their potential... and they made a GF last year.
l believe they over achieved last year, would not be surprised if they fall away to some extent this year.

l would not expect them to be top four this season 6th-9th, some teams decline after grand final debacles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Official Practice Match - Carlton v Sydney Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back