Game Day Official Practice Match - Carlton v Sydney Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Kempy needs to show consistency for a decent stretch in the twos before he can take a spot in the first team. He’s a young lad that has only just been settled into a position. Needs continuity and a chance to learn his craft in lower stakes environments before we start him in the big leagues.

Asking this question respectfully - who in this weeks team, in a like for like position, should Kemp play ahead of?

Plowman is the obvious like for like as the third defender.
I’m not saying Kemp should play this week ahead of Plowman, the selectors would obviously have more insight on that.
My point was more, Kemp isn’t playing this week ahead of Plowman and in the absence of McGovern and Marchbank and what does that tell us about his progress and current standing …

Plowman is the obvious like for like as the third defender.
I’m not saying Kemp should play this week ahead of Plowman, the selectors would obviously have more insight on that.
My point was more, Kemp isn’t playing this week ahead of Plowman and in the absence of McGovern and Marchbank and what does that tell us about his progress and current standing …

Suggests he is 4th in the pecking order of 3rd talls after those 3.

If we thought he was close we could have played him alongside plowman this week given Plow can player smaller. The fact we didnt suggests he is not in round 1 considerations.

Hopefully he comes on this year as the 3 above him all have pretty significant question marks.

Will be a great test - no injuries and continue to build some more cohesion between the different lines and it will be a successful outing. Would have been nice to have a team closer to our best 22' but seems quite a few may be saved for round 1.

Result is not important just get players through their minutes and pray for no injuries.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Suggests he is 4th in the pecking order of 3rd talls after those 3.

If we thought he was close we could have played him alongside plowman this week given Plow can player smaller. The fact we didnt suggests he is not in round 1 considerations.

Hopefully he comes on this year as the 3 above him all have pretty significant question marks.

The third defender position is clearly McGoverns and let’s hope he’s on track for round one.
I don’t even factor Marchbank into calculations these days and believe we have to move past Plowman.
It’s disappointing that at this stage, Kemp hasn’t been able to position himself as the number two man for the position …

Can’t really underestimate the importance of this match. Swans will be out for blood but we will have to run them blue in the face to demonstrate our superbly supreme superiority. With Cripps and McKay out playing at an important Poker tournament at the local tavern, it’s not going to be quite as easy but pretty much, yeah, a cinch really. Testing a bit of our depth will give the likes of Wow-wee Dow, Lemme-at-‘‘em Lemmy, and Can’t-Hold-me-back Hollands a chance to show what the 2nd official Voss pre-season has impressed upon their minds and spirits (oh yeah, and bodies). Frankly, with 4 points not on the line but 4 positions in round 1 maybe, this should be nothing short of an enthralling contest (in the grand context of a pre-season match which has barely any bearing on anything). Blues by a point (and 6 goals).

Last edited:
Sydney’s team is strong, very strong.
Must say I fail to see it with Sydney. Terrific work ethic, but.....

Hickey has been a revelation, but he's injured and 32 odd.

They're still relying on Buddy and Reid as their KPPs.

The McCartin brothers? Not sold, undersized (195 and 193 vs Harry at 205cm, yes appreciate no H tonight) and neither are as athletic or aerobic as Charlie ....

Is their midfield really that good - guess we'll see tonight.

Parker, Rowbottom, Stephens, Warner, Heeny, Mills (Dow should watch a bit of how Warner goes about it).

Quite a lot of inexperience there.... Warner's tires get pumped up more than anyone in the comp!!

Yet - Chad Warner and Sam Walsh AFL Stats Comparison

Still reckon they made a mistake letting Hewett go!!

1677785717716.png

The third defender position is clearly McGoverns and let’s hope he’s on track for round one.
I don’t even factor Marchbank into calculations these days and believe we have to move past Plowman.
It’s disappointing that at this stage, Kemp hasn’t been able to position himself as the number two man for the position …
Kemp was sore and didn’t play last week. Don’t read much into practice match selection - we are going to look quite different round 1.

Am somewhat surprised by the vibe in here re: this game, seems like there is a lot of expectation around a win.

I actually couldn't care less if we win, we were up and going way too early last year and totally fell in a heap. I think the club is rightly treating this as a practice match. We are a close to fully mature team now with a long season ahead, no need to get carried away in preseason. I hope the club also takes a more balanced approach to selection this year, resting players and utilising more of the squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must say I fail to see it with Sydney. Terrific work ethic, but.....

Hickey has been a revelation, but he's injured and 32 odd.

They're still relying on Buddy and Reid as their KPPs.

The McCartin brothers? Not sold, undersized (195 and 193 vs Harry at 205cm, yes appreciate no H tonight) and neither are as athletic or aerobic as Charlie ....

Is their midfield really that good - guess we'll see tonight.

Parker, Rowbottom, Stephens, Warner, Heeny, Mills (Dow should watch a bit of how Warner goes about it).

Quite a lot of inexperience there.... Warner's tires get pumped up more than anyone in the comp!!

Yet - Chad Warner and Sam Walsh AFL Stats Comparison

Still reckon they made a mistake letting Hewett go!!

View attachment 1620001
On your KPF point McDonald is going to be a star. They have Longmire who imo has been the best coach in the AFL for a bit now and a young list with players that still are yet to even come close to their potential... and they made a GF last year.

On your KPF point McDonald is going to be a star. They have Longmire who imo has been the best coach in the AFL for a bit now and a young list with players that still are yet to even come close to their potential... and they made a GF last year.
I'm not saying they're a 'poor' side obviously!

But Buddy's well on the decline at 36, Reid always meh, or injured. Heeney, terrific of course, but with Hickey out for a stretch, they'll struggle out of the middle imo. And their midfield is not what it was, up and comers notwithstanding.

McDonald? We'll see.... reckon Weiters would have his measure comfortably.

Not overly big or athletic. Not questioning his talent as a footballer, but to become the key to their attack in the next decade.... prefer Harry or Chuck any day of the week.

Wasn't too hard to read a few posts earlier that his partner had a baby earlier today. Any amount of reasons why he couldn't go to Sydney the next day. Why the paranoia?

Club has openly stated that him and Martin will be training and assume both will be available round 1.
who had a baby? Brackets' missus?

K
Kemp was sore and didn’t play last week. Don’t read much into practice match selection - we are going to look quite different round 1.
Kemp would be behind Gov, Marchbank and Plow for the third tall roll. They’d probably also play S. Durdin before Kemp and mix and match Weiters, Young and Durdin.

Will be interesting to see who gets Cripps CBAs. Based on preseason training you would think Doch but if we want him at half back in round 1 we probably want to play him there this practice game. Outside of him would be down to Curnow, Carroll, Dow. Hopefully not Curnow only because it wouldn't say much about where we see Carroll and Dow. Based on the named bench I think only one of Dow and Caroll play so we will know who is ahead out of those 2 by the end of tonight.

My guess of our midfield pecking order:

1. Cripps
2. Walsh
3. Hewett
4. Cerra
5. Kennedy
6. Docherty
7. Carroll
8. Curnow
9. Dow

The last 3 Im not sure on. Could be in any order and dependant on roles. Docherty and Kennedy could also be swapped but given our injuries down back I suspect we prefer Doch there unless we have another injury.

Fisher is the other one in the mix but I don't think we see him as a full time mid. More the 5th or 6th guy who gets the odd run through there. Hollands I think will be a wing / half forward only this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Official Practice Match - Carlton v Sydney Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back