Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Without googling tell me who Collingwood, Brisbane, Port and Melbournes presidents are? You won't know most because it isn't there Job CEO/Head of Football whatever weird and wonderful names they call it nowadays are the public faces hence why during Richmonds prime years you saw far more of Gayle then Peggy
Spot on. I don’t want a Maguire or Kennett type constantly making a song and dance

I wrote an email addressed to Chris, Ameet and Kylie, it was quite long, and very civil, but I outlined my concerns clearly.

I got a return email, however it was from another staff member and not to whom I addressed it too.

However to be fair, it was quite detailed and acknowledged the areas the club needs to get better.

I hate it when people say Bont isn’t a good captain . He’s trying to play his game while telling players which way to stand at stoppages . Always talking and directing .

And I’m sure he doesn’t mince his words behind closed doors . He lost patience when Bailey Dale shanked yet another kick last time out , but it’s his job to keep moving forwards . Which he does, constantly. He can’t lose his poo in the middle of a game.

The old name we now call CEO was Secretary. And the old name for Head of football was Chairmen of selectors. These are the words used on all the old honour boards.
I used to read about unrest behind the scenes at footy clubs and think, how does this affect performance? But as a be got older I realise how important good governance, management and administration are.

The old name we now call CEO was Secretary. And the old name for Head of football was Chairmen of selectors. These are the words used on all the old honour boards.
I used to read about unrest behind the scenes at footy clubs and think, how does this affect performance? But as a be got older I realise how important good governance, management and administration are.
It is our biggest issue and was this year,

Last years "review" was a farce and for that alone Ameet and Grant need to pack their bags

Nothing is permanent , except change
It's always darkest before dawn..

marc maron lol GIF by IFC

Letter from the President just emailed to members

To our Bulldogs members,

As the dust settles on our 2023 AFL season, there’s no question we all have a sense of shared disappointment. You, our members, are incredibly passionate and rightly hold us to account. We don’t take this responsibility lightly.

We all expected to qualify for our fifth straight AFL finals series, and for a long period of the season, it looked like we would achieve that. The footy Gods delivered for us on Saturday when our team broke the 20-year drought with a win in Geelong, but as Sunday came around, it wasn’t to be.

It was a disappointing end to a season that held so much potential, and we take responsibility for the result.

As we look back on our year, ultimately it was inconsistency and missed opportunities that took their toll.

We know this is a game of small margins, and in the end we didn’t take enough of those chances when they presented themselves, despite putting ourselves in strong positions to win several close games.

The reality is, we didn’t meet our own expectations, or those of our members and fans.

However, despite the obvious disappointment, we saw some promising signs for our future.

Marcus Bontempelli led us with absolute distinction, Tim English emerged as the competition’s best ruckman, Tom Liberatore went to an even higher level, and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan announced himself as a future star.

Arthur Jones, James O’Donnell and Caleb Poulter made telling cameos as first year players, Liam Jones returned as a defensive rock, and we have the untapped ability of Sam Darcy to look forward to.

So, where to from here?

In this business, there’s no time to dwell on the past, or sit still. We must move on quickly, evaluate comprehensively, and put robust plans in place to improve.

Identifying improvements and making the necessary changes is key to our future success. That process started as the season was still running, and we ramped up the day after our season concluded.

During the season, we identified a need to analyse areas of our football program which we felt needed adjustments, to give our players the best chance to succeed. It means that there will be change in the off season. Our Board member Luke Darcy, Executive Director of Football Chris Grant, along with Ameet Bains and myself, will lead the difficult, but necessary changes.

There has been plenty of external talk about Luke Beveridge recently. As we’ve said publicly on numerous occasions, Bevo is contracted for the next two seasons, and we remain confident in his ability to lead this team. He has a strong track record of getting the best out of our playing group, managing a high performing team, and achieving success.

We have a deeply connected playing group - connected to both each other and their coach. I have the privilege of witnessing this personally.

The team has high expectations of themselves, and we are encouraged by their desire to lean in and provide feedback on how we need to improve. Sharing the responsibility of our performances with each other, the coaching group and the broader club. We are emboldened by their desire to turn our performance around quickly.

With the strength of leadership we have within our club, and the detailed understanding of our people and processes, we are confident we can make the adjustments that we require.

Bulldogs people are resilient, and we stick together in good times and bad. We’ve been doing so for over 140 years.

As we look ahead, we turn our attention to our VFL and AFLW teams.

Our VFL team won 10 straight games on its way to qualifying in sixth position on the ladder – a brilliant achievement. Footscray will take on the Casey Demons this Saturday, with 18 Bulldogs-listed players eligible to take the field.

A few hours later, our AFLW team kicks off its 2023 season against Geelong at GMHBA Stadium. After having tasted finals action in Season 7, we’re excited to see what our girls can achieve in the next few months.

In the second half of the women’s season, we look forward to welcoming you back to watch footy at VU Whitten Oval, which will be an exciting milestone for our club.

When our AFL players return to start their preparations for the 2024 season, they’ll come back to a transformed facility which will be the envy of the competition.

It will be a symbolic and energising new beginning for players and staff, as we start our climb back up the ladder.

As the AFL season ends, on behalf of the Club I’d like to thank our record 56,000 members for your ongoing support. You turned up to Marvel Stadium and Mars Stadium in massive numbers.

No-one at the Club, including the players, take your support for granted.

Thank you for being Bulldogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Bevo is really staying....

Losing to one of the worst teams in the modern era and missing the top 8 is apparently not grounds enough for a sacking. Ridiculous...

We will never be able to become a ruthless club with this board.

What a huge waste of a premiership window since 2017.

Membership is being cancelled - not wasting money on a club who doesn't care about winning.

During the season, we identified a need to analyse areas of our football program which we felt needed adjustments, to give our players the best chance to succeed. It means that there will be change in the off season. Our Board member Luke Darcy, Executive Director of Football Chris Grant, along with Ameet Bains and myself, will lead the difficult, but necessary changes.
Absolute hate this. A number of people who could be the problem, are leading a review of the problem.

Is it too hard to at least get some external voices to be heard for once?

So Bevo is really staying....

Losing to one of the worst teams in the modern era and missing the top 8 is apparently not grounds enough for a sacking. Ridiculous...

What a huge waste of a premiership window since 2017.
We simply can't afford it for 1

And they are now finally putting together a proper coaching group that will be able to support him

To our Bulldogs members,

As the dust settles on our 2023 AFL season, there’s no question we all have a sense of shared disappointment. You, our members, are incredibly passionate and rightly hold us to account. We don’t take this responsibility lightly.

We all expected to qualify for our fifth straight AFL finals series, and for a long period of the season, it looked like we would achieve that. The footy Gods delivered for us on Saturday when our team broke the 20-year drought with a win in Geelong, but as Sunday came around, it wasn’t to be.

It was a disappointing end to a season that held so much potential, and we take responsibility for the result.

As we look back on our year, ultimately it was inconsistency and missed opportunities that took their toll.

We know this is a game of small margins, and in the end we didn’t take enough of those chances when they presented themselves, despite putting ourselves in strong positions to win several close games.

The reality is, we didn’t meet our own expectations, or those of our members and fans.

However, despite the obvious disappointment, we saw some promising signs for our future.

Marcus Bontempelli led us with absolute distinction, Tim English emerged as the competition’s best ruckman, Tom Liberatore went to an even higher level, and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan announced himself as a future star.

Arthur Jones, James O’Donnell and Caleb Poulter made telling cameos as first year players, Liam Jones returned as a defensive rock, and we have the untapped ability of Sam Darcy to look forward to.

So, where to from here?

In this business, there’s no time to dwell on the past, or sit still. We must move on quickly, evaluate comprehensively, and put robust plans in place to improve.

Identifying improvements and making the necessary changes is key to our future success. That process started as the season was still running, and we ramped up the day after our season concluded.

There has been plenty of external talk about Luke Beveridge recently. As we’ve said publicly on numerous occasions, Bevo is contracted for the next two seasons, and we remain confident in his ability to lead this team. He has a strong track record of getting the best out of our playing group, managing a high performing team, and achieving success.

We have a deeply connected playing group - connected to both each other and their coach. I have the privilege of witnessing this personally.

The team has high expectations of themselves, and we are encouraged by their desire to lean in and provide feedback on how we need to improve. Sharing the responsibility of our performances with each other, the coaching group and the broader club. We are emboldened by their desire to turn our performance around quickly.

With the strength of leadership we have within our club, and the detailed understanding of our people and processes, we are confident we can make the adjustments that we require.

Bulldogs people are resilient, and we stick together in good times and bad. We’ve been doing so for over 140 years.

Our VFL team won 10 straight games on its way to qualifying in sixth position on the ladder – a brilliant achievement. Footscray will take on the Casey Demons this Saturday, with 18 Bulldogs-listed players eligible to take the field.

A few hours later, our AFLW team kicks off its 2023 season against Geelong at GMHBA Stadium. After having tasted finals action in Season 7, we’re excited to see what our girls can achieve in the next few months.

In the second half of the women’s season, we look forward to welcoming you back to watch footy at VU Whitten Oval, which will be an exciting milestone for our club.

When our AFL players return to start their preparations for the 2024 season, they’ll come back to a transformed facility which will be the envy of the competition.

It will be a symbolic and energising new beginning for players and staff, as we start our climb back up the ladder.

As the AFL season ends, on behalf of the Club I’d like to thank our record 56,000 members for your ongoing support. You turned up to Marvel Stadium and Mars Stadium in massive numbers.

Well that’s Bevo’s future confirmed then. Massively disappointed to be honest but it’s to be expected. Let’s hope there’s significant changes around him and we can right some wrongs next season.

We simply can't afford it for 1

And they are now finally putting together a proper coaching group that will be able to support him

The decision to give him the two year extension was absurd and I still can't believe they did it. We can afford to do it if they wanted to.

I hate this logic of him finally having a proper coaching group. You shouldn't need a proper coaching group to not lose to West Coast and Hawthorn, you shouldn't need a proper coaching group to understand that starting the season with 4 KPD's against Melbourne isn't a good idea. Neither is playing Lobb on the wing or debuting JoD as a 4th tall or picking Scott week in week out.

Bevo is clearly not getting the best out of the players and we are now seeing a lot of regression under him.

Bevo has lost the plot and the fans are the ones paying for it.

Last edited:

To our Bulldogs members,

So, where to from here?

Nothing but a bunch of ****ing dribble.
The minimum should be an external review, minimum, but they are too afraid of finding out that they ****ed up. No one wants to be held to account.

Pathetic.

The decision to give him the two year extension was absurd and I still can't believe they did it. We can afford to do it if they wanted to.

I hate this logic of him finally having a proper coaching group. You shouldn't need a proper coaching group to not lose to West Coast and Hawthorn, you shouldn't need a proper coaching group to understand that starting the season with 4 KPD's against Melbourne isn't a good idea. Neither is playing Lobb on the wing or debuting JoD as a 4th tall or picking Scott week in week out.

Bevo is clearly not getting the best out of the players and we are now seeing a lot of regressing under him.

Bevo has lost the plot and the fans are the ones paying for it.
Yes the decision was poor no one is denying that,

Do you actually understand how a coaching group works? This isn't WRFL Div 3 football where they train once a week with the 1 coach,

They are regressing because Bevo is doing to much and there is no support around him, Lobb on the wing won us the Carlton game yes we were too tall against Melbourne but he scrapped it quickly JoD as a KPF was silly hence he went down back where he belonged Scott is at the higher end of our bottom 6 most weeks

Nothing but a bunch of ******* dribble.
The minimum should be an external review, minimum, but they are too afraid of finding out that they ****ed up. No one wants to be held to account.

Pathetic.
where are you Peter Gordon ? I am sure your the man with David Smorgon Steve Walliss Tom Boyd to run a external view

Yes the decision was poor no one is denying that,

Do you actually understand how a coaching group works? This isn't WRFL Div 3 football where they train once a week with the 1 coach,

They are regressing because Bevo is doing to much and there is no support around him, Lobb on the wing won us the Carlton game yes we were too tall against Melbourne but he scrapped it quickly JoD as a KPF was silly hence he went down back where he belonged Scott is at the higher end of our bottom 6 most weeks

Those that made that decision are doing the review and supposed changes.

Enough said speaks volumes.

Standard, superficial PR. Letters crafted by someone else in the office and sent out with your name on it doesn't mean much.

Only interesting thing from that missive is the singling out of certain players for credit/potential. You can't name everyone, but outside of Richards most of those who improved, maintained a high standard or exceeded (in some cases low) expectations were named. Maybe I'm reading way too much into this, but if you weren't mentioned then maybe pull your bloody finger out.

I can't believe the board/administration can have watched what we've watched as supporters in the past two seasons and think it's acceptable to continue with this head coach, regardless of payout figure and how bad it will make them look for giving the extension in the first place. However, if that's the decision we've made then short of a board spill we're stuck with it.

Maybe they're having a bet each way here - load up on a few senior/more qualified assistants and it either helps straighten out the issues with coaching, team selection and player development/attitude, or it doesn't but when you let Bevo go you're able to do it with a much-reduced payout and you have one or more people in the club who can step in as interim coach.

It will be interesting to see what our fixture looks like in the first 8-10 rounds. If, as I expect, we get Melbourne first up and then a few of the top eight as well as maybe Adelaide, Freo, Hawthorn etc. then at the bye next year if the club is behind in W-L the noise could be deafening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back