Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

I am disappointed that KWW and Bains are helping to perpetuate the boys club culture we have created. I expected better.

Make no mistake, the only reason there is no external review being conducted is because they know what the outcome would be. Ditching Webb, Spangher and Bubba is more than fine. It will definitely lead to improvement if we nail their replacements. But the state of our assistants was only a symptom.

Bevo’s extension was a colossal ****up. It surprised even him. I’m disillusioned with his coaching but he didn’t table the offer to himself.

I’ll be moved if we smash through the soft cap and pay up on enough experience to make Bevo a glorified motivational speaker. Put the money where their mouth is and I’ll at least believe they’re trying to win games.

Last edited:
Agree my only issue is that they aren't conducting an external review after last years farce

External reviews aren’t overly common. You don’t do an external review just because you’ve had two down years. One of them making finals.

Fans can kick and scream all they want but part of the role of our admin and board is to look at what they’re doing right and wrong at the end of each season (review) and look to improve on it. They got it wrong last off season and seem to be going a lot harder this off season with heavy cuts across the coaching group.

We aren’t the basket case club some fans believe we are. Just because some behave like they’ve had their dummy taken from them every time the selected team is released or when we lose games, doesn’t mean the worlds ending for our club. And it doesn’t mean we need to strip everything back and start again.

The email clearly states they’ve acknowledged things haven’t worked out and they’re looking to amend this off season. The proof, we’re already starting to see with the announced coaching cuts.

I’m happy with what’s now being actioned. Hopefully some significant list changes and I think we can be fairly optimistic about next season.

Not sure they are the right people to conduct a review. Everyone has an inherent bias towards their own abilities and decision making. The club needs to conduct an independent review, only then would it get a 'warts and all" report. They are all complicit to some extent.

We should be bringing experienced external figures in to review everything. It’s almost as if we’re too scared to see what they may find.

There’s a few scapegoats who will be cut, guys who don’t really have a huge amount of say in our success anyway, relatively speaking - whilst all the people who really determine whether we succeed or fail walk on through unscathed. Clearly none of these campaigners have any idea how to run a successful football club, just gut the lot of em.

We’re going ****ing nowhere quickly that’s for sure, and we’ll be in this situation again at the end of next season with yet another failure of a year, and yet the same old nuffies will be in here praising the club with the coach’s **** dangling out of their mouth

Agree my only issue is that they aren't conducting an external review after last years farce
Yeah I can appreciate that. I’m sure the review this time will be far more thorough. I’d appreciate it if it were external.

I can’t scrutinise the club too harshly for not doing a top to bottom harsh external review 12 months after a grand final in what was the most difficult season in our time.

External reviews aren’t overly common. You don’t do an external review just because you’ve had two down years. One of them making finals.

Fans can kick and scream all they want but part of the role of our admin and board is to look at what they’re doing right and wrong at the end of each season (review) and look to improve on it. They got it wrong last off season and seem to be going a lot harder this off season with heavy cuts across the coaching group.

We aren’t the basket case club some fans believe we are. Just because some behave like they’ve had their dummy taken from them every time the selected team is released or when we lose games, doesn’t mean the worlds ending for our club. And it doesn’t mean we need to strip everything back and start again.

The email clearly states they’ve acknowledged things haven’t worked out and they’re looking to amend this off season. The proof, we’re already starting to see with the announced coaching cuts.

I’m happy with what’s now being actioned. Hopefully some significant list changes and I think we can be fairly optimistic about next season.
I agree I don't think we are the basket case some are suggesting at all,

My only reasoning for wanting an external review is due to how poorly handled last years review was but if I see a number of high level assistants come over and a large list turnover of our stale players I will be optimistic come next season

Yeah I can appreciate that. I’m sure the review this time will be far more thorough. I’d appreciate it if it were external.

I can’t scrutinise the club too harshly for not doing a top to bottom harsh external review 12 months after a grand final in what was the most difficult season in our time.
I suppose I am probably being a tad harsh it is more frustrating when all that changed last year was essentially Lade in and nothing else

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When is the last time we had an external or independent review?

We had an internal review last year by whom? what was the result ? 2 year extension to a coach who was even surprised.

We needed an independent review to review Grant, Darcy, Bev and Baines.

I think you are right. We need to be careful what you wish for. I think the letter clearly indicates that those doing the review are putting themselves up to fix our performance. The purpose of the review is to identify what needs to be done and then do it. I took the letter as an acceptance of accountability that those doing the review are the ones accountable for lifting our performance. I don’t think we can realistically ask for more than that. (As much as we might want to).

I like that it kind of confirmed the players had bought up issues they feel re footy department, they welcome the feedback and will address.

No but you might do an external review if you've conducted one or two of them already and keep getting the same results. You might do an external review if one of the big criticisms is that power is too concentrated in one person's hands and is holding back positive change. You might do an external review if one of the big criticisms is that there's too much of an old boys clique that is resistant to change - the sort of OB network that is about to commence the new review. You might do an external review if you are committed to getting the absolute best out of the resources at the club's disposal rather than just aiming to stay competitive. I am not convinced we are ruthless enough. It doesn't have to be made wholly public. It doesn't have to be a total bloodbath. Unfortunately it's the nature of entrenched power to instinctively defend and protect itself. There should be no ego or reputation protection in this internal review. That's not easy to achieve.
Agree, but we seem to have been saying this in previous years. Let's again wait and see how well they do at this review. How uncompromising and honest will it be? Will they look at the decision to extend Bevo's contract prematurely? Will they look at why previous reviews have failed and what lessons that means for the way they go about things? Will they examine how the control of the footy department seems to have become increasingly Bevo-centric to the club's detriment? Will they examine why we have one of the least talented bunch of assistants in the AFL (based on CVs, quals, results, etc)?
Agree, but I love that the fans aren't accepting "close enough is good enough" for once. We all know we should have done better. KWW says as much.

I'm happy with the fact that the President has emailed us.

I'll reserve judgement on the rest of it until later in the year.
I'm fairly optimistic too. I'm always optimistic ... but with that comes frequent disappointment.

Go Dogs.

I think you are right. We need to be careful what you wish for. I think the letter clearly indicates that those doing the review are putting themselves up to fix our performance. The purpose of the review is to identify what needs to be done and then do it. I took the letter as an acceptance of accountability that those doing the review are the ones accountable for lifting our performance. I don’t think we can realistically ask for more than that. (As much as we might want to).
Will the find out the results of the review?

Can you advise the KPI's that will determine lifting of performance so members can assess progess?

You mention acceptance of accountability, can you advise how the members will make them accountable if they don't succeed?

“Hi Luke”

“Hello Other Luke and Chris. What brings to my office ? Come in sit down . I’ll get Spangher to fix you a spritzer. Oh Matt three spritzers please !”

“We’re here on business Luke. We’re here to review the footy department .”

Bev scratches head and looks thoughtful

“It was a difficult season. But if things had dropped our way … you can’t fault the effort …. Just one or two things …. Keep going till we put it right …. I thought some of our efforts were exceptional …..

Anyway aren’t we the footy department ?”

other Luke and Chris exchange nervous glances

“Yes and we’re here to review us. You’ve been looking a bit under the weather . We’re bringing in some help for you . Stewart Dew has agreed to come on board “

“I don’t mind as long as he does what he’s told. Not like that other one you got me . He never shuts up . Defence this attack that numbers around the ball. Bla bla. He doesn’t half give me a headache .”

“You mean Brendon Lade ? He’s still here he’s got the office next door “ says Chris .

“Well I told him not to talk to me unless he can say something positive . If you can’t say anything nice don’t say anything at all . My grandmother taught me that . Anyway I’m sure this Mr Dew is much nicer.

Review complete?”

(All three join hands and yell)

“REVIEW COMPLETE”

Just as Spangher arrives with three yummy glasses of spritzer .

——————

Fast forward 12 months : Stewart Dew announces his resignation and storms angrily away from Whitten Oval HQ after Bev complains once too often that Dew keeps putting the milk in then the tea , not the other way round.

Last edited:
Letter from the President just emailed to members

To our Bulldogs members,

As the dust settles on our 2023 AFL season, there’s no question we all have a sense of shared disappointment. You, our members, are incredibly passionate and rightly hold us to account. We don’t take this responsibility lightly.

We all expected to qualify for our fifth straight AFL finals series, and for a long period of the season, it looked like we would achieve that. The footy Gods delivered for us on Saturday when our team broke the 20-year drought with a win in Geelong, but as Sunday came around, it wasn’t to be.

It was a disappointing end to a season that held so much potential, and we take responsibility for the result.

As we look back on our year, ultimately it was inconsistency and missed opportunities that took their toll.

We know this is a game of small margins, and in the end we didn’t take enough of those chances when they presented themselves, despite putting ourselves in strong positions to win several close games.

The reality is, we didn’t meet our own expectations, or those of our members and fans.

However, despite the obvious disappointment, we saw some promising signs for our future.

Marcus Bontempelli led us with absolute distinction, Tim English emerged as the competition’s best ruckman, Tom Liberatore went to an even higher level, and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan announced himself as a future star.

Arthur Jones, James O’Donnell and Caleb Poulter made telling cameos as first year players, Liam Jones returned as a defensive rock, and we have the untapped ability of Sam Darcy to look forward to.

So, where to from here?

In this business, there’s no time to dwell on the past, or sit still. We must move on quickly, evaluate comprehensively, and put robust plans in place to improve.

Identifying improvements and making the necessary changes is key to our future success. That process started as the season was still running, and we ramped up the day after our season concluded.

During the season, we identified a need to analyse areas of our football program which we felt needed adjustments, to give our players the best chance to succeed. It means that there will be change in the off season. Our Board member Luke Darcy, Executive Director of Football Chris Grant, along with Ameet Bains and myself, will lead the difficult, but necessary changes.

There has been plenty of external talk about Luke Beveridge recently. As we’ve said publicly on numerous occasions, Bevo is contracted for the next two seasons, and we remain confident in his ability to lead this team. He has a strong track record of getting the best out of our playing group, managing a high performing team, and achieving success.

We have a deeply connected playing group - connected to both each other and their coach. I have the privilege of witnessing this personally.

The team has high expectations of themselves, and we are encouraged by their desire to lean in and provide feedback on how we need to improve. Sharing the responsibility of our performances with each other, the coaching group and the broader club. We are emboldened by their desire to turn our performance around quickly.

With the strength of leadership we have within our club, and the detailed understanding of our people and processes, we are confident we can make the adjustments that we require.

Bulldogs people are resilient, and we stick together in good times and bad. We’ve been doing so for over 140 years.

As we look ahead, we turn our attention to our VFL and AFLW teams.

Our VFL team won 10 straight games on its way to qualifying in sixth position on the ladder – a brilliant achievement. Footscray will take on the Casey Demons this Saturday, with 18 Bulldogs-listed players eligible to take the field.

A few hours later, our AFLW team kicks off its 2023 season against Geelong at GMHBA Stadium. After having tasted finals action in Season 7, we’re excited to see what our girls can achieve in the next few months.

In the second half of the women’s season, we look forward to welcoming you back to watch footy at VU Whitten Oval, which will be an exciting milestone for our club.

When our AFL players return to start their preparations for the 2024 season, they’ll come back to a transformed facility which will be the envy of the competition.

It will be a symbolic and energising new beginning for players and staff, as we start our climb back up the ladder.

As the AFL season ends, on behalf of the Club I’d like to thank our record 56,000 members for your ongoing support. You turned up to Marvel Stadium and Mars Stadium in massive numbers.

No-one at the Club, including the players, take your support for granted.

Thank you for being Bulldogs.
Oh god. 2024 sounds like its going to be rough. No one taking accountability for poor results. All for them to throw Bont out in front of the press and apologise when we inevitably have another wasted season.

“Hi Luke”

“Hello Other Luke and Chris. What brings to my office ? Come in sit down . I’ll get Spangher to fix you a spritzer. Oh Matt three spritzers please !”

“We’re here on business Luke. We’re here to review the footy department .”

Bev scratches head and looks thoughtful

“It was a difficult season. But if things had dropped our way … you can’t fault the effort …. Just one or two things …. Keep going till we put it right …. I thought some of our efforts were exceptional …..

Anyway aren’t we the footy department ?”

other Luke and Chris exchange nervous glances

“Yes and we’re here to review us. You’ve been looking a bit under the weather . We’re bringing in some help for you . Stewart Dew has agreed to come on board “

“I don’t mind as long as he does what he’s told. Not like that other one you got me . He never shuts up . Defence this attack that numbers around the ball. Bla bla. He doesn’t half give me a headache .”

“You mean Brendon Lade ? He’s still here he’s got the office next door “ says Chris .

“Well I told him not to talk to me unless he can say something positive . If you can’t say anything nice don’t say anything at all . My grandmother taught me that . Anyway I’m sure this Mr Dew is much nicer.

Review complete?”

(All three join hands and yell)

“REVIEW COMPLETE”

Just as Spangher arrives with three yummy glasses of spritzer .

——————

Fast forward 12 months : Stewart Dew announces his resignation and storms angrily away from Whitten Oval HQ after Bev complains once too often that Dew keeps putting the milk in then the tea , not the other way round.

Real world examples are always better than the hypotheticals thrown around on here. 👍

Absolute hate this. A number of people who could be the problem, are leading a review of the problem.

Is it too hard to at least get some external voices to be heard for once?
And they are the same people who did a review 12 months ago a decided we needed to start another 6 months later.

FMD

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back