News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

I walk past the play area of this school every game day as i park my car nearby.
Then i get a bus home. I started doing this in the covid times and kept it up.
Have plenty of time on my hands these days.

The play area is actually smaller than it appears on these photos.
On AFL game days a reasonable part of this area is used for parking.
I assume the same would apply during Cricket season.
I suppose the P & C can put the money to good use.

As can be seen in the bottom photo around 1/5 of the green space is very rough and hardly any grass.
Most likely due to weekend carparking mentioned above.
There would obviously be some other small arears for the students (253) to do some sort of play/exercise/rest/eat.

I do not know what condition the classrooms are in, but a brand-new school would have better facilities for the students.

Closing a functioning school is politically bad and they can expect backlash for this at the next election.
But Governments need to do what is right for the future of the Wooloongabba precinct, so risky political decisions need to be taken.
Come the start of 2026 the students will move schools just like they have to do at some stage of their education to go to the nearest high school.
However, this time it will involve much younger children.
Parents with young children change jobs and move to new locations all the time.
It is hard on the children, but they make new friends and fit in soon enough.
This time they take all their friends with them and most likely the majority of the teachers.

1697245298047.png
1697244925763.png
1697244813076.png

1697244654932.png

I hope it’s Carrara. Selfishly. Having lived interstate for a number of years it would be good to be able to attend every home game for once.

But as a whole prob not ideal. But I feel its the best option financially compared to other suggestions floating around which would require 10s of millions to develop. At least from state government POV.

I think lions games at Carrara will still sell well. Probably get a bigger average attendance than suns games.

That’s fair. I wouldn’t mind the idea of having a single home game down at Melbourne during those years. Give us another MCG game if we can’t play at the Gabba.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That’s fair. I wouldn’t mind the idea of having a single home game down at Melbourne during those years. Give us another MCG game if we can’t play at the Gabba.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I just hope if we do that (an away home game in Melbourne) that it’s only against another non-VIC team - Swans could work given there large support base like a Fitzroy v Sth Melbourne game or even against another interstate team with an solid support base in Melbourne. I reckon a Lions v Swans game in Melbourne would easily get 30K supporters to it.

I just hope if we do that (an away home game in Melbourne) that it’s only against another non-VIC team - Swans could work given there large support base like a Fitzroy v Sth Melbourne game or even against another interstate team with an solid support base in Melbourne. I reckon a Lions v Swans game in Melbourne would easily get 30K supporters to it.
there's no chance it would get 30k, we got 28k at a home game at the Gabba against Sydney this year

there's no chance it would get 30k, we got 28k at a home game at the Gabba against Sydney this year
Thinking Fitzroy v South aat the MCG might draw better than Lions v Swans at the Gabba especially if marketed right ... I don't suppose they play VAFA games there as well do they (double header)

Thinking Fitzroy v South aat the MCG might draw better than Lions v Swans at the Gabba especially if marketed right ... I don't suppose they play VAFA games there as well do they (double header)
I agree, marketed right I think both sets of VIC and travelling supporters of each respective club would turn out in big numbers.

They did in 2003. At the MCG. It was a double-header on Saturday afternoon. Was a great day.

The MCG is 4 km from the Brunswick St Oval. Marvel Stadium to the Brunswick Street Oval is 6 km.

Last edited:

Outstanding suggestion. AFL not smart enough to do this.

Lions really should be pushing for an extra Melbourne game while the Gabba redevelopment is taking place.

Put some money into Brunswick oval and play GWS there in the season. Would easily get 15k.

Lions really should be pushing for an extra Melbourne game while the Gabba redevelopment is taking place.

Put some money into Brunswick oval and play GWS there in the season. Would easily get 15k.
I would love to see a game at the Brunswick street oval but capacity would be less than that ground in the Adelaide Hills. Not sure I would trust the City of Yarra to decide and do an upgrade in the six year time frame. Expect very high NIMBY resistance.

Hope the RNA is picked as the interim venue. Not sure how much work they’d put into it to get it to standard but think that precinct has the potential to be a Wrigley Field style venue with a great mix of heritage and outside stadium space that could be activated for game days. Also think it would be a much better venue for cricket for a lot of games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not ideal for members, but I reckon they should use Brighton Homes Arena. The AFL will fund it to get it developed to house a reasonable crowd?

Long term it means a good stadium for womens football and a better developed stadium. Plus it could be unique to us. Short term pain for long term gain.

If it were to happen, would be very cool if the Lions wore a Fitzroy heritage jumper in that game too given the Swans wear thier South Melbourne jumper in all away games nowadays. Would be a huge throw back and a game is definitely come down for.

Could play University Blacks for a VFL re-union.

BSO has been open parkland for 30 years. There is literally nothing there besides the old stand that holds around 600 - 800.

Princes Park was home to Fitzroy for 10 years. On the right side of town. 1km from Fitzroy. Now holds 15k. Perfect spot for a few games.

Ideally what the club want to do while the Gabba is unavailable is to have a facility that will seat 20,000 minimum (1st Priority is Springfield) to call home. For the big home games (such where the crowd would be 30,000 and upwards) they would like to play at the MCG. I see this as a good suggestion because it still keeps most members/supporters going to games and also gives our members in Melbourne more opportunities to watch our boys down there at the MCG where we desperately want and need to play more. I hope they get the support from the AFL.

The hill at the Gabba was the best place to watch and have a few drinks!
I don't really remember the games though, the rest was hilarious.
Like the time instead of throwing a beach ball around someone took his blow up girlfriend.
We laughed.

One of the last true places a yobbo could be right at home amongst their own kind.

Ideally what the club want to do while the Gabba is unavailable is to have a facility that will seat 20,000 minimum (1st Priority is Springfield) to call home. For the big home games (such where the crowd would be 30,000 and upwards) they would like to play at the MCG. I see this as a good suggestion because it still keeps most members/supporters going to games and also gives our members in Melbourne more opportunities to watch our boys down there at the MCG where we desperately want and need to play more. I hope they get the support from the AFL.

Feel like this is a great way to haemorrhage members and the support they’ve built up over the last 5-6 years.

Not to mention expanding Springfield to >20,000 (or even close to that) is either impossible or insane, with no inbetween. It currently holds what, 1/10th of that? And it is an absolute nightmare to get to, on game days already the highway is turned into a carpark as people fight to get off. Train is better, but the infrastructure quite literally isn’t there to support 20,000 people trying to take the train from Springfield station

If we're going to play extra games in Melbourne then if i was a CEO then I would be looking at trying to get those games against the absolute highest drawing team I can possibly get and whether that is marvel or MCG, whatever the best deal i could get. We're going to go through a period of financial disadvantage over the coming years while the gabba is out of action. It would be immensely irresponsible not do do everything we can to recoup some of those losses. The above we get benefits for vic members, but we do it in a way that maximises the money we can make. Doing that against the swans would be leaving 20-30k tickets on the table, and that would be a less than desireable outcome.

Can't see how Springfield is a feasible option tbh. Hemmed in by a creek, a road and an admin building. Even if you extracted every square centimetre available for temp seating, it's hard to imagine a capacity boost to any more than 15-18,000. And when you take its limited accessibility into account, you might as well just go to Carrara - as unpalatable as that is.

Rooting for a redeveloped showgrounds miracle.

Can't see how Springfield is a feasible option tbh. Hemmed in by a creek, a road and an admin building. Even if you extracted every square centimetre available for temp seating, it's hard to imagine a capacity boost to any more than 15-18,000. And when you take its limited accessibility into account, you might as well just go to Carrara - as unpalatable as that is.

Rooting for a redeveloped showgrounds miracle.
Rooting is a yank term. Prefer the oz way i.e.barracking

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back