News Media Thread, 2023: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That line stood out for me too :D
smartselect_20231013_181711_samsung-internet-jpg.1832342
To be fair, this photo is one of the cringiest things I've ever seen posted to BF so if I was him I'd be laughing too.

That bloke is a twit, looks like he’s lost all confidence now as he has been wrong about most things all season so is just making pointless articles about nothing or just copy and pasting from SEN. He’s getting an absolute bath on twitter😂
I wouldn't be surprised if his "sources" at WCEs have been deliberately feeding him misinformation to make him look a bigger idiot than he is. Now he can't trust his sources he had to fence sit and has zero credibility.

This is The West we're talking about. That Guys job is to create clickbait, which you suckers are eating up. He does not give a toss about accuracy or being wrong, as he knows full well that 99% of people forget yesterday's headline within an hour or so of reading it. He doesn't need sources, just speculation.

It's the Kane Cornes model and it's a lot more profitable than actual news. Some or more clicks with much lower salary (they traded Duff for Woodcock).

I'm still writing with crayon, I haven't got my pen licence yet so I don't know if I legally should be doing it. I've got a signature down pat, I think it needs a bit of work though. I've signed a choccy milk

Someone preparing him for Barcode?

Can someone unlock this please?

Coby Burgiel may have been a West Coast player for the past 12 months, but he will almost be like a recruit this pre-season.
Burgiel’s first season at the Eagles was cruelled by repeated hamstring injuries that restricted him to only three WAFL games after being drafted with pick No.29 in 2022.

The Victorian speedster had to watch on as fellow draftees Reuben Ginbey, Elijah Hewett, Noah Long and Harry Barnett all made their debuts.

But the wait might be worth it for both Burgiel and West Coast fans, with Gippsland Power talent manager Scott McDougal predicting the teenager to have an influence on a wing if he can get his body right.

“I’d hate to play on him on a wing because his top end’s speed … his sprint and ability to run is just amazing,” McDougal told The West Australian.

“His decision-making going forward, he can take a mark and if he can get on the outside he can burn you.

“I can see him as an outside midfielder, but you’ve got to earn your stripes there.

“You’ve got to learn to defend hard because at times on a wing you’ve got to defend hard, but then you’ve also got to spend some time working on your forward craft because you get chances to kick on goals which he is very adept at.”

Burgiel comes from good footballing stock, with his father Hayden and uncle Adrian legends of their local team the Maffra Football Club.

Hayden spent two injury-riddled years on Hawthorn’s list but dominated for their local team to win seven premierships as a player, two as a coach and was twice the fairest and best in the Gippsland League.

He also spent time in America as a punter and this is where Coby honed his skills on the basketball court, which McDougal said has helped him as a footballer.

“His lateral movement and vision inside the stoppage is very good, his reaction times are quick and he is also a long, penetrating kick so he is a versatile player,” McDougal said.

“In his top-age year he played at half forward, deep forward, half-back, inside midfielder and on the wing. He played them all and he played three different positions in the nationals.

“He just needs to get his body right. When he gets on top of that he’ll be an exciting player to watch.”

Highlighted part should please some punters in here...

Reading far too much into some of Don Pyke's comments at his press conference about how well the Swans engaged their fans, but I really hope our social media department gets better then it has been. There is a genuine thirst for information (regardless of how pointless), and when I see multiple photos, multiple videos and a press conference with a player on social media from Fremantle compared to our two posts in the last 2 days.......

1699849272697.png

1699849511203.png

Reading far too much into some of Don Pyke's comments at his press conference about how well the Swans engaged their fans, but I really hope our social media department gets better then it has been. There is a genuine thirst for information (regardless of how pointless), and when I see multiple photos, multiple videos and a press conference with a player on social media from Fremantle compared to our two posts in the last 2 days.......

Timing is everything - expect a post about this soon

1699849661015.png

View attachment 1851641

View attachment 1851644
They should hire whoever does the Matildas socials - they crush it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1851641

View attachment 1851644
Last year was an improvement compared to previous years but that's not really much about muchness.
I'm hoping once Don is in the seat and able to have a good look over everything we do an overhaul on the media dept, it desperately needs it.

Hopefully Coby gets over his injury issues coz it seems like it runs in the family based on the article above.

Doesn't sound like a lot of running can be done in that family

View attachment 1851641

View attachment 1851644
Hope you campaigners have got your singing voices warmed up with that first one

1699874443988.png

The Clayton Oliver lesson that spurned Reuben Ginbey’s monster run on West Coast Eagles return​

As players returned to pre-season training West Coast Eagles rising star Reuben Ginbey turned heads with his gut-busting long-distance run.
Not only did he finish first, beating Campbell Chesser, he pushed himself to complete and extra lap before exhaustion finally got the better of him.

Speaking on radio, Ginbey said a harsh lesson from Melbourne’s Clayton Oliver was the motivation to get better.
In round four Oliver dominated an undermanned Eagles outfit with 34 disposals, 10 tackles and 10 clearances on the way to a 63-point thumping.
Ginbey, struggled with just 14 disposals, 11 of which were handballs and three clearances.

“I learnt a lot from players in my first year but the one that sticks out was Clayton Oliver and playing against him,” Ginbey told SEN WA Breakfast.
“He’s great around the ball but I thought I could be a bit fitter than him and beat him on the run,”
“Then I remember he got the ball and burnt me on the wing so he was beating me on the inside and outside which was disappointing so I’ve worked hard to get better.”

After a promising start, Ginbey’s first year was curtailed by a hamstring issue, which he was keen to put behind him at first training.
“I probably had that bit of extra motivation to get my body right after my hamstring and wanted to get back to normal,” he said.
“My first three games were probably my best but after my rising star in round three I probably struggled to reach that level again.”
“I’m feeling really good, even stronger than last year.”

Despite a difficult season, Ginbey said the club is feeling refreshed and is excited about heading into next year particularly with Luke Shuey stepping into the coach’s box.
“We’ve got a few new coaches and strength and conditioning staff and it feels young and refreshed and exciting for the future,” he said.
“(Shuey’s) been my mentor coach along with a few other young midfielders I can’t wait to learn from him.”
“It’s weird to see him behind the desk he still feels like a player, but he’s obviously got heaps of experience to share.”

Ginbey just has future leader written all over him
Yes. Hopefully there are young’uns who set high standards. (Apparently JSelwood did that the day he walked in the door.)
Our future lies with the younger players given we’re relatively light on for mid-aged players. As such our success will depend to a good extent on strong leadership from the younger ones taking over as the Gov/Yeo generation disappears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back