Banter RDT CLXXXVI - Trucko’s Salty Water

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Racism is racism as far as I'm concerned. If we have different rules for one, compared to another, based on skin colour, then guess what that is?

I agree and I think the race card gets used way too often but I just can’t get worked up about stupid white bastard

But it’s the way of the world where insignificant things get blown out of all proportion whilst far more horrific acts garner almost no attention because they’re genuinely uncomfortable for people to talk about

I’m stopping now because I’m dangerously close to unintentionally summoning $Beetlejuice$

I agree and I think the race card gets used way too often but I just can’t get worked up about stupid white bastard

But it’s the way of the world where insignificant things get blown out of all proportion whilst far more horrific acts garner almost no attention because they’re genuinely uncomfortable for people to talk about

I’m stopping now because I’m dangerously close to unintentionally summoning $Beetlejuice$
I'm not particularly worked up by it either, but some peoples' reactions surprised me is all. If we want equality, we've gotta treat everyone equally.

Anyways, more important issues in the world, like you say.

Racism is racism as far as I'm concerned. If we have different rules for one, compared to another, based on skin colour, then guess what that is?

But these particular rules are there to correct historical injustice. Non-white people in Britain have historically (and unfortunately presently, including by the police) been discrimated against and subject to violence and vitriol based on race. The intention of the law is to correct these attitudes and behaviours using the power of the state, rather waiting for them to go away on their own. There's not much point having a law to protect a person already getting the benefit without the law, who has received that benefit for some time.

Now if she'd called him a stupid specific type of white bastard (e.g. Polish, Irish), there'd be more of a case. Unless it was 'stupid Anglo-Saxon bastard' but that doesn't roll off the tongue.

Even if it was the other way around and it was a white man/woman saying that to a black policeman, how on earth does it warrant a 12-month investigation and a four-day trial?

Scotland Yard got a bit of time on their hands at the moment, do they?

But these particular rules are there to correct historical injustice. Non-white people in Britain have historically (and unfortunately presently, including by the police) been discrimated against and subject to violence and vitriol based on race. The intention of the law is to correct these attitudes and behaviours using the power of the state, rather waiting for them to go away on their own. There's not much point having a law to protect a person already getting the benefit without the law, who has received that benefit for some time.

Now if she'd called him a stupid specific type of white bastard (e.g. Polish, Irish), there'd be more of a case. Unless it was 'stupid Anglo-Saxon bastard' but that doesn't roll off the tongue.

Personally I think there’s been an over correction with that sort of stuff

But I’m just a stupid, middle aged, straight, white male so my opinion no longer counts

I wasn't commenting on the laws. I'm commenting on someone making a racial comment. It's just not on.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not particularly worked up by it either, but some peoples' reactions surprised me is all. If we want equality, we've gotta treat everyone equally.

Anyways, more important issues in the world, like you say.
You don't make two unequal things equal by treating them both the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest, yep.
Yeah, nah. That's BS

I have a brown daughter and a white daughter. I can't imagine a world in which I disciplined one of them for using racial slurs against her sister, but let the other one get away with it if she did the same.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Everyone seems to be making light of the alleged comment, but I don't think we should be condoning racist language in any way. Imagine the roles were reversed and the officer called Kerr a stupid darkie b*tch.

Is it actually illegal to make racist comments in the UK, by the way?

Pretty much everything is illegal in the UK. Someone just went to jail for 2 years for putting up some pretty mild anti immigration stickers. And then of course there was this doozy, which had an interesting part 2 some months later for the officer involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back