Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Voting is a human problem, blockchain can't solve it. The hard part isn't storing and counting the votes, it's working out whether the person voting is who they say they are. That can already be done with other systems.

I've spent decades in tech and I reckon we should keep it as far away from elections as possible. Write them on a piece of paper, put all the pieces of paper in a box, count them up. If there are concerns count them again. Tech gives a million more ways for things to go wrong/get hacked/whatever.

GW Bush won in 2000 off the back of a ridiculous voting machine failure in Florida. Cost Al Gore the presidency when the court left to decide voted partisan and put Bush in. The votes seemed to favour Gore.

Voting is a human problem, blockchain can't solve it. The hard part isn't storing and counting the votes, it's working out whether the person voting is who they say they are. That can already be done with other systems.

I've spent decades in tech and I reckon we should keep it as far away from elections as possible. Write them on a piece of paper, put all the pieces of paper in a box, count them up. If there are concerns count them again. Tech gives a million more ways for things to go wrong/get hacked/whatever.

Or we could have a repeat of last time
I know what I'd prefer.
Put it on a chain

Btc been hacked yet?

Or we could have a repeat of last time
I know what I'd prefer.
Put it on a chain

Btc been hacked yet?

The on-chain portions of BTC are fairly solid but exchanges get hacked all the time. I lost a bunch of BTC (like 1200) in 2014 when Mt Gox got hacked (and probably also was compromised internally). It's been happening frequently every year since.

The problem with using blockchain for things in the real world is that the integration point between on-chain and off-chain (real world) is a serious vulnerability. That's what exchanges are for cryptocurrency and for voting it would be whatever software/app is validating someone's identity, asking for their vote, and adding it to the chain. Hack the software and you can put whatever you want on the chain.

It would give something very clear for the Chinese/Russian/North Korean/anonymous/whoever to attack - and given the competence of government tech/infosec, they'd manage to compromise it without too many issues. Then elections would be run by whichever hackers found the upper hand. Not sure that's a good world to live in.

The strong positive of physical votes is they're impossible to systematically hack from the other side of the world. You have to actually be in the same location as the votes.

And also there is (or should be) an audit trail for what happened to each ballot box, and people can look at each individual vote on a piece of paper in future to cross check whether it was ok. No way to do that with blockchain - once it's on the chain, it's trusted. No-one knows how the vote got there except it's there now.

InB4 Gringy writes a 4000 word essay telling us millennials are weak as piss

He’s too busy helping an old mate save the planet at the moment

RIaLlIG.jpeg

InB4 Gringy writes a 4000 word essay telling us millennials are weak as piss 😂
Peer reviewed by George :cool:
Will either be that or some long winded boomer diatribe of 4000 words about things that are as obvious as the sky is blue and grass is green.

Alas, Gringobvious was born. Gringwoke still lurks and comes out to play every so often and Soylent Sanders is a mainstay - but the different personalities should be dissected and researched so no other poor soul endures it 😎

Quite easily the best Australian show I've ever watched. Incredible acting from a guy that's only been in one other thing before this, just a guy from Echuca.

Needs to be seen by more people, this is what Australian TV should aspire to be. Shot in Sydney, wish it was shot in Melbourne, but beggars can't be choosers.

Episodes are about 20 minutes each, one of those shows that keeps you up because of how easy it is to put another episode on.
16b1c8d08cab43b.jpg

Quite easily the best Australian show I've ever watched. Incredible acting from a guy that's only been in one other thing before this, just a guy from Echuca.

Needs to be seen by more people, this is what Australian TV should aspire to be. Shot in Sydney, wish it was shot in Melbourne, but beggars can't be choosers.

Episodes are about 20 minutes each, one of those shows that keeps you up because of how easy it is to put another episode on.
View attachment 1928716
Ending of the final series has to be seen to be believed.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will either be that or some long winded boomer diatribe of 4000 words about things that are as obvious as the sky is blue and grass is green.

Alas, Gringobvious was born. Gringwoke still lurks and comes out to play every so often and Soylent Sanders is a mainstay - but the different personalities should be dissected and researched so no other poor soul endures it 😎

So you write a 4000 word essay saying how much real estate I occupy in your head about it? Fascinating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you write a 4000 word essay saying how much real estate I occupy in your head about it? Fascinating.
4000 words you reckon - not like you to get hysterical? Soylent Sanders needs his nap I think xoxo :cool:

InB4 Gringy writes a 4000 word essay telling us millennials are weak as piss 😂

You millennial campaigners trim your pubes and grow it on your faces instead. Perhaps a sign of where you think your genitals reside.

You millennial campaigners trim your pubes and grow it on your faces instead. Perhaps a sign of where you think your genitals reside.
We all know where yours are

status-anxiety-bag-last-mountains-tan-3-lifestyle-img.jpg

This is all just a bit too easy 🥱😴

I was driving down Punt road today with my daughter, there's this androgynous type in a black boiler suit rolled up with army boots and a beret. Said to my daughter it looks like Che Guava the zesty Communista. She was pissing herself even though she thinks I'm a judgemental campaigner. I like to know my bitchy humour can crack the woke youth market still. Suggested a girl who looked like a gypsy prostitute looked like a gypsy hooker too. Apparently that wasn't funny. There's a line that I stepped over.

I was driving down Punt road today with my daughter, there's this androgynous type in a black boiler suit rolled up with army boots and a beret. Said to my daughter it looks like Che Guava the zesty Communista. She was pissing herself even though she thinks I'm a judgemental campaigner. I like to know my bitchy humour can crack the woke youth market still. Suggested a girl who looked like a gypsy prostitute looked like a gypsy hooker too. Apparently that wasn't funny. There's a line that I stepped over.

With that last statement I would have said St Kilda foreshore and you stopped off for a feed at a random fish and chip joint, as that is where the "night workers" tended to congregate on random corners.

Punt rd makes me think they're organising the next Tigers picket at their HQ for fair pay and tolerances.

With that last statement I would have said St Kilda foreshore and you stopped off for a feed at a random fish and chip joint, as that is where the "night workers" tended to congregate on random corners.

Punt rd makes me think they're organising the next Tigers picket at their HQ for fair pay and tolerances.

It was the corner of Commercial road. A bit more "cosmopolitan" than up the Richmond end.

View attachment 1928716
Yeah this series is comfortably the best TV I've seen since Metalocalypse.
Compulsory Australian viewing.

First Bush Snr and Obama, now Macron is married to a bloke. Must be something to it 😎

Macron is off is head. He's suffering from Napoleon syndrome and wants to attack Russia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back