Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 27

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no issues with Dunstall being elevated to a legend. I just think there are too many legends.

It kind of devalues the achievement. Particularly when there is different entry criteria for different states.

As per usual, butters gets off on something perfectly fine and the vic media go all PROTECTING THE BROWNLOW FARKEN.

Guys like Cripps do something a thousand times worse and its "nah that was a good call."

**** me two sets of media interpretations. **** this competition.

I'm glad no action was taken regarding Butters ... but he needs to be more careful. A couple of times this year he has definitely lined up opponents with bumps that could have ended with a high contact.
He also has elected to bump people in the back instead of tackle. Needs to change that

I have no issues with Dunstall being elevated to a legend. I just think there are too many legends.

It kind of devalues the achievement. Particularly when there is different entry criteria for different states.

Why do you say it devalues it?

Dunstall is an absolute legend imo what’d he kick like 1200 goals or sumshit?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do you say it devalues it?

Dunstall is an absolute legend imo what’d he kick like 1200 goals or sumshit?
Dunstall played FF in the era of big forwards kicking bags. Ebert changed football tactics.

One has been elevated at 59, one got the nod posthumously.

That’s why its devalued, as certain achievements are viewed in a different light.

Last edited:
Both Crouch and Butters should have been cleared. Period.
Next time should they slide into the contest and break legs?
There's absolutely no other way they could have challenged the ball in those situations and their opponents were NOT injured.

Once again the blokes second to the ball dont have a duty to protect themselves, they're literally leading with their heads to win frees? There's no discussion about this whatsoever which is an absolute joke in a 360 degree contact sport. Why are we punishing the ball winner, theres a difference between a "bump" and clipping someone high whilst their body and their eyes are on/over the ball ? There's dickheads in the media stating Butters was challenging the contest to aggressively and "too fast"
What's his alternative option ? Sit and wait and let Freo walk the ball out of the contest and win the game? Kings a laughing stock truly.
Saw about 4 or 5 genuine head first attempt to get the ball on the weekend, including Goldstein and Fogarty.
It’s being encouraged by the rules and tribunal. I’d make a head first attempt at the ball a free kick, explained in terms of dangerous conduct unto oneself.

I'm glad no action was taken regarding Butters ... but he needs to be more careful. A couple of times this year he has definitely lined up opponents with bumps that could have ended with a high contact.

Yep he's definitely gonna write someone off at some stage and end up with a 4 week+ suspension. Had a few close calls already

Played in the wrong state.

I feel like jack list of achievements in an era when sanfl footy was much more highly regarded is unbelievable. To be honest it probably reads better on paper than anyone else from SA that’s already on there.

The 10 flags as coach is just ridiculous but he won 4 as a player too. 14 flags!!!!! And was a very good player too with 4 best and fairest awards.

Was also brilliant at setting the foundations in the afl too.

His record just blows me away, and I feel like it’s underrated outside port.

Dunstall was rightly always getting there. Not really much more he could have done, his record is colossal.

I agree that generally there are too many legends. They handed them out a bit too liberally in the early days, seemingly to cover off each of the Vic clubs. But Dunstall was getting in regardless.

Jack is an obvious candidate but he ultimately may never be elevated despite his achievements because nobody cares if you didn't do it in the VFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back