Autopsy Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

So as I could only watch the replay, I decided "why not watch this at 2x speed!" to speed up that process of review. As such;

Spectacle still really shizen, even with people rapidly speaking the amount of whistles and stop start and "people lolling on the ground" is just absurd. If the AFL wanted to speed up the game and make it cleaner they have it arse end backwards at present, it's hack kicks and cheating out the back after someone falls over their own feet only.

Still evident that we are a "stupid" midfield grouping, in that we have NFI how to read a tap and are consistently a step behind opponents on clearance, that being said, when oppo get the ball you're more than likely to at least get scragged to all hell, so, at least they have that I suppose.

And in summation of that 2x view; we really are our own worst enemies sometimes, a lot of that was "this looks good' into an event that happens where someone just straight forgets they're an AFL footballer and give the ball back to the oppo for no good reason.
I think if the afl wants to improve the spectacle of the game they need to provide funding to all clubs to up the skill level. If every team played like the top 2 teams skill wise it would be a lot more watchable. Watching a couple of bottom sides is just awful. I wish every team was equally competitive and skilled and the bottom 8 was only missing out by small margins

Him and Coff in the 2020 final against the Dogs woweee future was bright.

Injuries have screwed so many of our top picks.
Him and Coff from the 2017 draft.

Coffield traded out for Dow another high pick from that draft. They weren’t a direct trade but I’ll be keeping an eye on Dow’s performance vs Coffield’s next couple years since they’re the same draft same pick range and we’ve essentially swapped one for the other.

I'm now resigned to the fact that King is just not going to be the player I thought he would be.
At the moment he's about as effective as Eric hipwood.
I would trade him for larkey in an instant, would give them a first rounder to go with it.
Honestly can't see the reason for the love for pou either. Those who think he's going to be bont like are kidding themselves.
He looks to me more like a mason wood or Blake acres.
Bloody hope I'm wrong

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Over reaction, take a beat and then reassess. He came back from a knee injury with a pretty good defender on him all day with little help. The King bashing has to stop.

Him and Coff from the 2017 draft.

Coffield traded out for Dow another high pick from that draft. They weren’t a direct trade but I’ll be keeping an eye on Dow’s performance vs Coffield’s next couple years since they’re the same draft same pick range and we’ve essentially swapped one for the other.

Yep and I take comfort in the fact Dow is slightly less injury plagued than Coff and our half back line is pretty strong with Nas, Sincs, Battle etc.

Hopefully Dow can fire with us.

To illustrate my point compare Wilson's game 8 yesterday, you can tell he could possibly be a generational type only after 8 games, who has ever thought that with Mitch other than a few looney Saints fans.
People who actually get paid for their opinions have compared him to generational types. This took 15 seconds to find, and doesn't have the review shows praise from last year of how high his ceiling could be, I remember specifically on the couch, Sunday footy show and last crack give him plaudits on his potential to be a fully fledged A grader.

There is no one in the AFL that plays footy like this third-year Saint: he looks wiry in frame but is deceptively powerful, he moves nimbly and yet has none of the weaknesses usually attributable to that strength, and he can be effective wherever you put him on the ground
With the 20-year-old immediately becoming one of most effective contested possession players in the AFL, Brereton is blown away by how high Owens’ ceiling can be.

“He’s a modern day, slightly different-looking version of course of Nat Fyfe,”
I thought his season was exceptional,” Buckley said on SEN Breakfast.

“And the most exceptional of the young talent.

People who actually get paid for their opinions have compared him to generational types. This took 15 seconds to find, and doesn't have the review shows praise from last year of how high his ceiling could be, I remember specifically on the couch, Sunday footy show and last crack give him plaudits on his potential to be a fully fledged A grader.

What would any of them know? He’ll be delisted with Sharman at the end of the year.

People who actually get paid for their opinions have compared him to generational types. This took 15 seconds to find,

This took about 15 minutes to find for free due to a high VB to key stroke rate but it should make about as much sense as what you posted....

Mark McGough was selected by Collingwood in the third round of the 2001 AFL Draft. Aged 17, and in just his second game of senior football, McGough was awarded the AFL Anzac Medal as the best on ground in the 2002 Anzac Day clash between Collingwood and Essendon. In 2011, before his last Anzac day match as Collingwood coach, Mick Malthouse said his favourite memory from his 11 Anzac Day encounters was seeing McGough win the Anzac Medal.[1]

Despite being regarded as a good wet weather player, his lack of pace prevented him from being regularly selected to play for Collingwood's senior side.[2] After playing 37 senior matches in three years, McGough was delisted at the end of the 2004 season.[2]

McGough was picked by the St Kilda Football Club in the third round of the 2004 AFL Draft,[2] and played nine senior matches for the club in the 2005 season. He was delisted by St Kilda at the end of 2006, having played just three games for the year.[3]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think if the afl wants to improve the spectacle of the game they need to provide funding to all clubs to up the skill level. If every team played like the top 2 teams skill wise it would be a lot more watchable. Watching a couple of bottom sides is just awful. I wish every team was equally competitive and skilled and the bottom 8 was only missing out by small margins

I’m confident the best way to improve the spectacle is to get rid of prior opportunity. Holding the ball becomes a strict liability offence - if you take possession and you’re tackled, you have a second to get rid of it then you’re done.

I reckon this would open the game up because in a pack there would always be a free kick, so there would be fewer packs and more dynamic knock-ons or quick soccer kicks.

People reckon this would mean that players don’t take possession, just wait for others to do so then tackle them. Zero chance imo - they’d just bang it forward somehow and keep the game flowing.

I’m confident the best way to improve the spectacle is to get rid of prior opportunity. Holding the ball becomes a strict liability offence - if you take possession and you’re tackled, you have a second to get rid of it then you’re done.

I reckon this would open the game up because in a pack there would always be a free kick, so there would be fewer packs and more dynamic knock-ons or quick soccer kicks.

People reckon this would mean that players don’t take possession, just wait for others to do so then tackle them. Zero chance imo - they’d just bang it forward somehow and keep the game flowing.
As long as we stop looking at free kick counts as something to whinge about. Cause you just know it’d lead to big differentials of teams who tackle heaps and teams that don’t. It’s a trade off between more stoppages vs more free kicks

You're good at this, nuttin gets past you aye!

Keep up the excellent work, footy socials need more vigilant soldiers like you.
Michael Richards Ok GIF

If you watch the interview with Ross, you’ll see that he praises Bonner’s ability cut out exit kicks. What the guys do when they don’t have the ball, specifically wingers and half forward do a lot of work without the ball. I’d suggest Pou is doing this too. Although I agree a few weeks at Sandy rack up the ball would be good.

Bonner has been better with his defensive work in the last 2 weeks. He also allows Sinclair to run free through the midfield. Thought Stocker was pretty solid too. People were harsh on him.

Over reaction, take a beat and then reassess. He came back from a knee injury with a pretty good defender on him all day with little help. The King bashing has to stop.
You talking about Corr? Aidan Corr?

Eeeesh. Dougal Must be SOS and Scarlett’s love child.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back