Review SHOWDOWN 55

Remove this Banner Ad

Again, this absolute shidiot is a known clapper who defended the regime to the hilt. He deserves the pain. * him.

Defend the regime = Protect his access

I think we are kinda in agreeance.

I don't think Dixon is a great set shot but you are willing to die on that hill. Fair enough.

And the complacency I mentioned of Marshall and Georgiades was not an excuse by me just that I can understand it. I think we've all been on teams where you don't the ball and becomes a bit systemic. They should be running out with fire in their bellies. It's footy.

He is not a great set shot. He's round about the average mark I'd suggest which is anywhere between about 51 to 55 at a rough guess? Well his career ave is 54.1% and his average since 2020 including the season so far is 55.2 so thats one thing that has improved with old age. My point was that for the past 5 seasons he has usually been first or in the top two for our key forwards. That is not really a compliment, Its a point of concern look at our tall forwards as a group.

FWIW The AFL stats site works out its benchmarking by player percentages, not GA% i.e.

1714908776550.png

Looking over the last 5 years that pretty much works out to
63% and up is Elite,
57% to 63% Above average,
50% to 57% Average and
below 50% Below Average

Dixons kicking at goal is rubbish
Lost count of the number of shots 30m out & directly in front that he misses. It’s all mental, he is actually a better shot from 50m when there is less pressure on him.

90% of Marshall’s kicks this season are from the boundary or 50m plus outside because Dixon is such a fwd pig hogging all the space in front of goal

Would like to see a heat map of his set shots v the other forwards, I suspect it would be telling.
I'd love to get hold of some recent scoring heat maps they are always interesting but I haven't found any.

The bottom line is he is about average in the average group.

Stats don't tell the whole story when it comes to kicking goals.

Its when you kick them as well.

There are goals and then there are goals.

You can count Joe the Goose but I wouldn't but it's there. I think I have a very different system to the generic stats.

I don't think a heat chart would be very kind to Dixon and I don't know if missing all together counts as well.

I've generally kept an eye on goal kicking as I thought it would be a worrisome area of our game in preseason and it has been bad across the board. With regards to Dixon, apart from the Saints game, I remember his kicking from goal anything outside easy has been pretty bad.

DBJ has kicked 1 goal from 7 shots over the last 4 games.

and that doesn't include stuff like the kick OOB and dribble kick into the goal square on Thursday.
DBJ also had a couple of opportunities late in the game for goal. He had only a bit of space and he should've taken a crack at goals but he went back into traffic.

It was quite frustrating to watch.

These are the type of goal opportunities that don't get a stat.

Stats don't tell the whole story when it comes to kicking goals.

Its when you kick them as well.

There are goals and then there are goals.

You can count Joe the Goose but I wouldn't but it's there. I think I have a very different system to the generic stats.

I don't think a heat chart would be very kind to Dixon and I don't know if missing all together counts as well.

I've generally kept an eye on goal kicking as I thought it would be a worrisome area of our game in preseason and it has been bad across the board. With regards to Dixon, apart from the Saints game, I remember his kicking from goal anything outside easy has been pretty bad.
Missing all together counts.

There is an observation from someone else on here that Dixon is only a decent goalkicker from 50 but misses the easy ones. You have been keeping an eye on it and and apart from anything easy he's pretty bad. Whats a confused poster to believe???

I'm Just presenting the stats because they are consistent with my experience which is that Dixon is an average kick for goal. IMO he misses some easy ones but then slots some difficult ones. He is an equal opportunity misser.

Missing all together counts.

There is an observation from someone else on here that Dixon is only a decent goalkicker from 50 but misses the easy ones. You have been keeping an eye on it and and apart from anything easy he's pretty bad. Whats a confused poster to believe???

I'm Just presenting the stats because they are consistent with my experience which is that Dixon is an average kick for goal. IMO he misses some easy ones but then slots some difficult ones. He is an equal opportunity misser.

I have decided to have a quick look at the data to break it down without going too crazy.

To break it down really well, you would have to go to situational elements of the shots, basically two areas, difficulty of shot and then where the game is at, game still winnable, game won, game lost, game close, bringing us back to the win, closing the game out and match winner.

It is a tale of two cities.

The first four games he is kicking average to poor. 6.9.1 - 6 goals, 9 points and 1 miss. IIRC a fair whack of those goal were easy goals.

In the last three games, Dixon has kicked 7.1.2 - 6 goals, a point and 1 miss. That is impressive kicking for goal. As I've said, he kicked well in the Saints game and was one of the reasons we won but he did leave a couple of goals on the table but we won because of Dixon.

This would suggest that Dixon has done his best on the new regime of working with the goal kicking coach. We will see if it continues.

When I analyse the game, I've recently changed the way I note down goals, points and misses and I might continue to perfect it.

I also remember both of Jed's goals because I'm tracking him a bit as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have decided to have a quick look at the data to break it down without going too crazy.

good effort
Good to see Dixons accuracy has improved because I thought he should have kicked 12+ goals in the first 4 games where he did miss some sitters
At least it would be a lot easier exercise for Jed

To break it down really well, you would have to go to situational elements of the shots, basically two areas, difficulty of shot and then where the game is at, game still winnable, game won, game lost, game close, bringing us back to the win, closing the game out and match winner.

It is a tale of two cities.

The first four games he is kicking average to poor. 6.9.1 - 6 goals, 9 points and 1 miss. IIRC a fair whack of those goal were easy goals.

In the last three games, Dixon has kicked 7.1.2 - 6 goals, a point and 1 miss. That is impressive kicking for goal. As I've said, he kicked well in the Saints game and was one of the reasons we won but he did leave a couple of goals on the table but we won because of Dixon.

This would suggest that Dixon has done his best on the new regime of working with the goal kicking coach. We will see if it continues.

When I analyse the game, I've recently changed the way I note down goals, points and misses and I might continue to perfect it.

Apart from the time he spent in the preseason games, he had played very little football prior to those first few games which may have been a factor in his poor early kicking.

You could take even more factors into account. Weather conditions, amount of running done by the player prior to the shot which I suppose goes under difficulty.

Well I hope the goalkicking program led by Chad shows results soon. To be kicking at 41% placing us dead last when the AFL average is 49% is just unforgivable considering the skills and experience we have on our list.

Tracking Jed's goals should take too much effort from you then. :D

I understand there’s a certain point where we’re not gonna have all of JHF, Connor and Zak at every centre bounce because they’ll need to rest sometimes and you’d also usually want to have Drew there for his defensive presence in the middle. But how the **** are all (bar Butters) of their CBA percentages so low??? I’m assuming this is for this match only so Connor’s injury would be bringing his down, but still that doesn’t account for why Wines attended more than all JHF, Butters and Drew. This club sometimes…

Adelaide v Pathetic Port​

10 Jake Soligo (ADEL)
6 Zak Butters (PORT)
5 Mark Keane (ADEL)
4 Matt Crouch (ADEL)
3 Izak Rankine (ADEL)
2 Darcy Fogarty (ADEL)

Apart from the time he spent in the preseason games, he had played very little football prior to those first few games which may have been a factor in his poor early kicking.

You could take even more factors into account. Weather conditions, amount of running done by the player prior to the shot which I suppose goes under difficulty.

Well I hope the goalkicking program led by Chad shows results soon. To be kicking at 41% placing us dead last when the AFL average is 49% is just unforgivable considering the skills and experience we have on our list.

Tracking Jed's goals should take too much effort from you then. :D
I remember last year Finlayson going through a purple patch midyear and then trailing off. With Dixon, tt could be a trend or the Saints game could be an outlier. We will see.

Tredders was in it for himself.
If he was only motivated by that then he's a convincing actor. I heard him at the AGM, he was taking on Koch in a restrained but obvious way in terms of improving on field performance. He was passionate & determined. If he has changed his attitude that quickly & become another weak yes man I will be very surprised & extremely upset.

Has anyone else lost interest in even watching port play anymore? like that spark or care factor is gone. watching us play this year has been depressing
I'm very disillusioned atm but have been since 2015. But it's at a peak atm. I hate watching us play & don't have much respect for the players & have no respect for the coaches. Makes it very difficult to enjoy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review SHOWDOWN 55

Remove this Banner Ad

Back