Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

"The reason why we went to Qatar was for my groins and I haven't had any issues since we got back from Qatar. I battled a lot of groin issues from my first year at the club throughout my career, and last year was the worst I'd had with my groins. I was able to gain some experience in what works for me," he said.

"A lot of my issues before I got to Qatar was I have really weak obliques and hips and a lot of that was compensating. We did a lot of testing there. It is one of the best facilities in the world and we were able to identify what was making my groins so sore and we were able to work that out.

A really conditioned and fit cj is coming next year, he could end up playing anywhere
Hopefully we see a better balanced and more endurable athlete.
He could well take his game to another level if he got some continuity and built on his form/confidence.

His building so well, had two great chances at a mark in the 50, had both hands on the ball, a bit more time and he nails them

Lucky there was such little contact that its only a fine. Very lucky indeed.

Finally we get a win with the MRO.
Hey Newmo89 is there any chance the next time you interview Sammy or one of the boys you can pass on from the BigFooty Hawks Board if they could stop doing silly stuff whilst our guys have a set shot for goal. It's for the sake of our mental health and remote controls 😂

IMO CJ is a lucky boy but I'd say the fact he had someone's hand around his neck had something to do with it.

I could be in the wrong here, but is Jiath being played slightly within himself … intentionally?

I’m thrilled at his output since back from injury and I’m wondering if the coaching group are managing him by getting him to play a slightly different role which isn’t as physically taxing.

In previous years, he’s averaged 15-17 disposals a game - this year that’s been roughly halved.

If I had to guess, I reckon his running km data per game would also be significantly down on previous years - but again, could this be intentional from the coaching staff?

Either way, thrilled to see him hit a vein of consistency without being injured. The team is far better for it.

Not sure on how his stats have changed but from what I see he is covering a heap of ground and is one of the reasons our pressure numbers are up.

How is he contributing to the pressure numbers, could you explain that?

Against GWS he had 2 tackles and 7 pressure acts, which was the fourth lowest number of any Hawks player (this includes Reeves and Breust).

Against Adelaide he had 2 tackles and 12 pressure acts, which was middle of the pack for us.

Against Brisbane he had 2 tackles and 5 pressure acts, which was equal third lowest for us.

It's not direct pressure he's putting on opposition players. Is it because he's clogging up space and making the field smaller for opposition teams, so they have to take other options? Closing down space when they're trying to run the ball? I just want to understand what I might be missing.

Against GWS he had 2 tackles and 7 pressure acts, which was the fourth lowest number of any Hawks player (this includes Reeves and Breust).

Against Adelaide he had 2 tackles and 12 pressure acts, which was middle of the pack for us.

Against Brisbane he had 2 tackles and 5 pressure acts, which was equal third lowest for us.

It's not direct pressure he's putting on opposition players. Is it because he's clogging up space and making the field smaller for opposition teams, so they have to take other options? Closing down space when they're trying to run the ball? I just want to understand what I might be missing.

I think it's the middle one.....
He does a tonne of running up and back, so when the ball gets turned over the oppo don't trust the longer kick on the hard break because he makes ground to give a contest well and they're not seeing a truly open man/extra number to use.
That in turn creates the extra second for our other players nearer the ball to change what the oppo want to do either by tackling or just corralling to ever worsening options. We can see that in the stats showing how good we are at getting the ball back between the 50's.

At the moment, agree the argument for Jiath is more the sum of the parts being greater with him in the team than any individual stat or action justifying his place.
Personally ok with that right this minute, think he's still working back into finding the right play to be involved with while assisting with us being a running dangerous outfit. Others are freed to be more expansive because he adds confidence to the team knowing he can cover alot of ground to create contests.
He's just so obviously dynamic it helps create a humm for our team and consternation for the opposing one.

I love the kid and believe he's pretty vital in our makeup, without being able to direct you to specific examples outside of a few obvious ones.

I have just noticed him closing down space on the wings a lot more compared to our team in the early rounds. I thought that we were getting exposed on the switch and giving easy ground and forward entries too often, but now noticing that teams rarely get a free run down our wings anymore. It might not be direct pressure but he is covering enough ground to hold up play enough for others to cover. Just a little pressure on any opposition disposal contributes something.

I don't have the answer but if a player has the ball in the back 50 and has an option on the wing or even space to kick into they can do that and relieve pressure. If CJ coveres that switch then the ball carrier 50 meters away is now has to either kick to a contest/instant turnover (pressure) or hold/handball which invites pressure. So even if it's Chol or Moore getting a tackle in the forward 50 the hard work of scrimshaw, sicily, CJ and co to press up and cover all the exits causes the ball carrier to hesitate and then be rushed or caught.

You could tell against GWS their skill and quick decision making meant they were able to get out of back 50 quicker and sometimes we couldn't put pressure on as they moved it to uncontested up the ground. Adelaide on the other hand were easier to pressure because they took a split second longer or kicked it slightly higher so we could cover their exits and they ended up going long to contests that we had more players in and it stayed in our forward half for long periods.

CJ on a wing is Chance Bateman like.
Plenty of unrewarded running that creates space for the benefit of the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope CJ has a blinder tomorrow. Has been our lucky charm since he's come back into the fold. Does a lot that doesn't show up on the stat sheet but it would be nice to see him up his possession count a little and really want to see him kick a goal or 2 tomorrow as well. Congrats CJ 👐

Uhh, he's playing when healthy and available.
GIF by MOODMAN

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back