Autopsy Groundhog day averted! Swans defeat Cats by 30 infront of a packed SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Campbell, Roberts, even Cunningham to an extent could all be upgraded. Campbell pretty disappointing when coming on as the sub.

Mills, Parker and even Sheldrick I think would be upgrades (not that they're like for like).
Bit harsh on Roberts. Think he was sensational this arvo.

Rowbottom is along with Chad on of our biggest points off difference and arguably more so.

We don't have another explosive type like Chad but other sides have versions.

Is there another Rowbottom in the league? he basically plays with Batman's utility belt on , runs around like sonic the hedgehog and tackles like a bear trying to murder you.
Spot on.

Throw in everything he does with the ball - behind only Heeney as our best clearance player IMO - the clever moments, the gutsy moments, the occasional crafty goal. It's an incredible weapon to have.

Re him & Warner, I actually think the two of them combined are as much a weapon as any component of our team. One's the best in the comp at making tackles, the other the best in the comp at breaking tackles. What having two players like that does is give confidence to teammates to hold their position and have complete faith that Rowbottom will stick that tackle and force the turnover, or Warner will break that tackle and dish it off to them. They don't need to get sucked in to the contest to "help out" Rowbottom and Warner because they're the best at what they do. I think that's a huge part of the reason we often have such good representation around and ahead of the ball this year, and numbers to surge forward in attack with.

Rowbottom is along with Chad on of our biggest points off difference and arguably more so.

We don't have another explosive type like Chad but other sides have versions.

Is there another Rowbottom in the league? he basically plays with Batman's utility belt on , runs around like sonic the hedgehog and tackles like a bear trying to murder you.

Thats actually hilarious and a quite accurate summarisation of Rowbottom probably Longmire most favourite player.

The only passenger in your side is Logan McDonald. He is not fulfilling his potential. Throw money at Warner and tie him up. If a WA side wants Logan, ask for a 1st rounder in return. Your team has no concerns kicking goals. Goal scoring mids and wingers are invaluable in any side.

You're a bit harsh, in the sense that McDonald does a ton of good stuff that doesn't always register as a stat. He's our best ground level key forward, great at bringing teammates into the game, and that instinct can't be taught.

That said, yes, if it's a question of him versus Warner I'm letting him go every day of the week. And I say that as an out and out McDonald fan.

McInerney and Amartey above Rowbottom? Gee whiz I love those guys but they're not at Rowbottom's level. At least not yet IMO.

He's absolutely elite. Clearly the best player in the comp at what he does. And what he does is probably the most important part of our game.

He was great again today and it barely registered because it's just become so expected of him. Just part of the furniture now.

He's 1 of 1 for mine.
The key point is "tearing the opposition apart WITH the ball". That group is a specific tier of match winners.
I love Rowy just as much as anyone but that's not what he does. His importance in the team is undeniable but it's different to the guys I listed, for the reason I stated.

It's good to see our team respond in an emphatic manner when behind BUT we need to improve our starts. It wasn't a 4 quarter performance but an 2 quarters of excellent play, 1 okay & 1 poor quarter.

We can't let good teams have big leads to start games, I would hate to see it during a final where it'll be more difficult to change momentum.

Good to see Papley return to some form in the 2nd half.

McInerney and Amartey above Rowbottom? Gee whiz I love those guys but they're not at Rowbottom's level. At least not yet IMO.

He's absolutely elite. Clearly the best player in the comp at what he does. And what he does is probably the most important part of our game.

He was great again today and it barely registered because it's just become so expected of him. Just part of the furniture now.

He's 1 of 1 for mine.
He just keeps doing what he does. He got a lot of criticism early in his career as too 'one dimensional' - but he plays his role to a tee, and is the perfect 'enabler' for the rest of the midfield. That isn't to say he doesn't do a lot more than that - but he is just the jigsaw puzzle that fits with that snug 'click' when you put it in. Love his endeavour, and he is always at the forefront when we are on the back foot - getting stuck in and stuck in again. Outstanding in his role on the field.

The key point is "tearing the opposition apart WITH the ball". That group is a specific tier of match winners.
I love Rowy just as much as anyone but that's not what he does. His importance in the team is undeniable but it's different to the guys I listed, for the reason I stated.
Carlton's midfield would beg to differ. So too all of the opponents we faced in the few months leading to the GF in 2022. Rowbottom almost single-handedly won us a few games in that run. Someone has to win those hard balls, extract it from the contest, rove to the ruck taps etc., otherwise we get smacked in the contest, as we've found out too many times over the years. Just because it's not always flashy doesn't mean it's not game-changing/match-winning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton's midfield would beg to differ. So too all of the opponents we faced in the few months leading to the GF in 2022. Rowbottom almost single-handedly won us a few games in that run. Someone has to win those hard balls, extract it from the contest, rove to the ruck taps etc., otherwise we get smacked in the contest, as we've found out too many times over the years. Just because it's not always flashy doesn't mean it's not game-changing/match-winning.
Caesar, I'm not critical of Rowy, nor diminishing his value, so please get off my back.

Love it when we get the sunset games. SCG is as pretty as a picture.

I just found our choice to kick into the Sun odd

Rampe must love the view that way

All this positivity is not the Bigfooty board way.

A whipping boy is needed.

And I, dear reader, bring to you 3 viable options:

McLean: hasn’t kicked a goal in forever & his ruck worked just didn’t measure up. Geelong took control whenever Grundy was off. Only took 1 mark, none contested. Applies no forward half pressure and questions are starting to arise, with Hamling kicking bags in the VFL.

Roberts: clearly in need of a spell. Some of his chasing efforts were sub-par. 66% ToG shows he’s either tired, or Horse is losing faith.

Cunningham: job is to lock down an opposition small forward. Close & Miers had a field day early on (I won’t include Stengle here, as Rampe had the job on him). 9 disposals - quite a few of which were clangers + no tackles.

Now doesn’t that feel better? Normal whipping boy discussions may now resume 😋.

Mclean kicked a goal against the dogs late, ask their fans 😂. He was a bit quiet today but arguably been the best tall fwd this year over the ground.

I think Cunningham brings too much to the defence to go, level head, and Roberts was ok I thought, would have to rewatch

Suspect Mills will take his spot and Fox will return for Campbell and thats our best 23

Mclean kicked a goal against the dogs late, ask their fans 😂. He was a bit quiet today but arguably been the best tall fwd this year over the ground.

I think Cunningham brings too much to the defence to go, level head, and Roberts was ok I thought, would have to rewatch

Suspect Mills will take his spot and Fox will return for Campbell and thats our best 23
I don’t think you understand how this works.

Ive whipped my fair share of boys

Wait that sounds like I am a christain brother

I dont know we have a whipping boy

Might just be Campbell, pick 5 permanent sub

We need to get out of this habit of letting teams have a nice little head start. It will bite us in the bum badly at a most inopportune time.

But the ability of this team to 'flick a switch' and get started like a rocket engine is something else.

I thought Geelong did a lot right today - their defensive unit was great for large chunk, even if we scored 16 goals in 2 3/4 quarters of footy. They worked hard all day, but there was an real feeling of inevitability from about mid way through the third. Geelong brought a lot a lot of pressure but couldn't quite sustain it, and it was only when both sides were running on empty in the last that to their credit they almost got back into it. On another day, 5 or 6 of our behinds could easily have been additional goals and it would have been an absolute walloping.

So much to like about so many out there today - but Grundy clear BOG for mine. Despite Scott's protestations, I thought he absolutely smacked them in the ruck after quarter time. Sublime tap work at time, but it is his follow up efforts and around the ground efforts that impress me.

Gulden is just a superman - Geelong did not have a single bloke who could get within cooee of him in the last quarter. And that off 95% TOG - the bloke is an absolute freak fitness wise. And then you have his actual footy ability - funnily enough my favourite moment was not the outrageous goal near the end, but that right footed snap around the body under pressure that went 40 odd metres and landed perfectly for a mark in the 2nd quarter I think it was. To do that off your wrong foot, running away from where you are trying to kick, and with good distance and accuracy is something else - yes there is luck involved of course, but if something absolutely reflects CLASS, it is a moment like that.

And Chad and Heeney just being Chad and Heeney - classy moments when they were needed. And so many other good performers at critical times (what a season Melican is putting in down back!).

But all in all, I think a statement performance today against a team where there were clear ghosts of 2022 still to be overcome. There was a bit of the same 'here we go again' about that first quarter performance. But we reset, ground our way back into it, shook off the early bad luck (some bad posters, bog average umpiring) and then found the 'GO' button. And by gee, did we go - the belief that this group has in its ability is immense.

And finally - the atmosphere has been awesome all season at the games I've been too. But the SCG was just rocking today - got a bit quiet at quarter time, but once our first goal went through it just grew and grew and grew. And it got very loud at times - the fans believe, and the players believe.

If we have a good run with injuries, there is zero excuses for this side. If this form continues, nothing but a flag should satisfy anyone from here. You need a lot of luck to win a flag - but we can't have done anything more to give ourselves the best chances of minimising just how much luck is needed. Win next week and we are 3 games clear of 2nd on the ladder, and at least 3 1/2 games clear of 5th - just ridiculous at this point in the season.

Adelaide next week, christ will get told how im full of shit all game
That game will be a great test actually. Not because Adelaide are much chop, but we are going to absolute get it from their fans after last year's AFL fiasco. Not that we should (wasn't our fault) but we will. A hostile atmosphere, and blocking that out and getting the job done (Even if it is an ugly win) will be another big milestone we should hope to tick off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Groundhog day averted! Swans defeat Cats by 30 infront of a packed SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back