Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that the deals have been reported I wandered over to the saints board out of genuine interest to know if they'd be happy or disappointed.
I think Stengle is worth a lot but I don't think he's the right player for saints to target, they seem to agree.....
However, one bloke reckons they already have a player as good as Stengle.......Higgins (aka Mum can we please have Stengle, no we have Stengle at home).

Here's the easy read on the Tyson contract

If it works out to be 750 per year thats about the limit of what i would have offered so happy there.
Means we have cap room to be aggressive at other players on the market. Also means we can chase FAs if theres the right one without diluting compo.
Well done to stengle on making a good decision IF true.

Who's our most likely ruck target?

I would have loved ned moyle.

But realistically it will be a younger 3rd string type like reidy or bryan id say.

Agree 100% on not putting all our eggs in Conway... But I fully disagree in Marshall..
Will cost us way to much in draft picks and isn't worth it.. Rather go for Ladhams or a Reidy that can still push Conway spot, and even have to play a half or more of a season...
We still have Edward coming through, which will take year or 2..
Rather use our picks elsewhere. As Marshall would cost us 2 x 1st round picks, and we're not in the place to afford that
At the moment 8 rucks

Conway - dev

Stanley - retire 2024

Furphy - spec

Neale - fwd

Blicavs - retire 2025

Sdk - def

Joe pike - vfl

Edward’s - dev

I think of Brad ottens who was recruited as a fwd and became one of our best rucks.. 6 potential rucks after retirements should be plenty of coverage allowing for development or transferring from another position. For list balance better to concentrate on a key mid or forward.

Now that the deals have been reported I wandered over to the saints board out of genuine interest to know if they'd be happy or disappointed.
I think Stengle is worth a lot but I don't think he's the right player for saints to target, they seem to agree.....
However, one bloke reckons they already have a player as good as Stengle.......Higgins (aka Mum can we please have Stengle, no we have Stengle at home).

Why would they want the best small forward in the comp when they have an unfit, inconsistent player who is a 50/50 proposition from 20m out straight in front?

If it works out to be 750 per year thats about the limit of what i would have offered so happy there.
Means we have cap room to be aggressive at other players on the market. Also means we can chase FAs if theres the right one without diluting compo.

$3.5 million over 5 years works out at around $700k per season

It's the Saints offer which seems to be closer to that $750k per season range

Either way, doesn't sound like Stengle was getting offers of $800k+ which seemed to be the suggestion at one stage

At the moment 8 rucks

Conway - dev

Stanley - retire 2024

Furphy - spec

Neale - fwd

Blicavs - retire 2025

Sdk - def

Joe pike - vfl

Edward’s - dev

I think of Brad ottens who was recruited as a fwd and became one of our best rucks.. 6 potential rucks after retirements should be plenty of coverage allowing for development or transferring from another position. For list balance better to concentrate on a key mid or forward.

Pike is not on our list yet (though id like to draft him)

Stanley is cooked
Blitz probably has one more year left as you say
Furphy is a spec you cant count on
Sdk is our full back

Edwards i rate but he will nees years to develop
So realistically our 2025 rucks are only conway blitz and edwards (dev) so thats not enough we have to trade in a ruck this yr.

OFFICIAL!

Geelong Cats star Tyson Stengle has committed to the Club in a new long-term deal.

The 25-year old Premiership player has put pen to paper on a five year contract extension which will see him remain in the hoops until at least the end of 2029.

IMG_4011.jpeg

Good to see his management went big for the duration and then settled on the $$ side after getting the extra year add on (5th) year for him.

He is set now for the rest of his life ( and generationally really) and good on him.
Last night we saw how valuable he can be and the mose excited blokes have to be Miers and Close as Stengle will continue to draw the oppo best small defender - and they would be stoked about that.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lonergan
Pods
Christensen
Duncan (at that stage)
Stokes
Hawk (in 2009)

There were plenty.
I have to disagree on Pods. He was absolutely NOT a role player. 2010/11 he kicked over 50 goals both seasons and provided so much more around the ground. He was one of the best key fwds in the league. He would have kicked 400 goals for his career if we drafted him at 24 instead of 28.

Brilliant news, and maybe he's a bloke who lets his footy do the taking. Big stamp of approval for the club, and really pleased Tyson's stayed loyal. Deserves every cent of his contract, he's been fantastic for Geelong so far, and he's a popular and loved player for the club and it's fans.

He took unders.

Good for us I guess.

Would be nice to see him get what he was worth though.

Cest la vie

Foster hasn’t found any alliances at the club. The older players are insular and stand offish with young players. You can see why the young players haven’t had a look in. Foster will return to SANFL. He’s been played out of position for 2 seasons. Waste of talent. He’s gone. Shannon Neale is the golden boy. Even though he has barely kicked a bag ever.
Where do you think you should be playing, Phoenix? 😂

I have to disagree on Pods. He was absolutely NOT a role player. 2010/11 he kicked over 50 goals both seasons and provided so much more around the ground. He was one of the best key fwds in the league. He would have kicked 400 goals for his career if we drafted him at 24 instead of 28.
He was a second key forward.

A role player, a very good one but a role player nonetheless.

He went down in the 2011 gf and we were 3.5 goals behind and in danger of of being blown away.

Duncan comes on and we have more midfield run and are able to turn the game. I am not saying that pods wasn’t valuable, but he was replaceable if we needed to.

He was a second key forward.

A role player, a very good one but a role player nonetheless.

He went down in the 2011 gf and we were 3.5 goals behind and in danger of of being blown away.

Duncan comes on and we have more midfield run and are able to turn the game. I am not saying that pods wasn’t valuable, but he was replaceable if we needed to.
Who was he second to?

He was our leading goal kicker in 2010/11 and kicked roughly the same goals as Travis cloke across those 2 years. One of the best key forwards at the time.

Not only was he quick off the lead but was an exceptionally strong mark of the ball.

We don't even make it to the Grand Final in 2011 without him.

Far greater than a role player in my eyes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back