Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been no excuses for a very long time, but yes you certainly managed to find plenty!
There's been plenty of excuses, most notably the worst injury crisis ever seen in the AFL for 2 years.

I always said he should get to the bye and reassess this year, provided the injury list was decent.

We've had that and after the last few games, it appears he's no longer up to it.

If he had any sense he would do a Worsfold, call a presser and walk.
However, I feel he'll make the club push him out.

No way would you walk away from $1 million-ish, you'd wait to be pushed.

He's turned us into the West Custard Eagles. Please go Simmo.

I haven't been this worked up about a comparison since the last time I heard someone use "vanilla" to describe something basic.

I haven't been this worked up about a comparison since the last time I heard someone use "vanilla" to describe something basic.
Relax mate, he’s not talking shit about good custards like Dirt Dessert Yogo, he’s just meaning uninspiring and plain custards, like vanilla.

It's surely gotta be time. We simply cannot accept this kind of performance, under any circumstance.

We know about the excuses that have been rolled out over the past few years. The reality is, since Simmo used a public platform during Covid to sook about the "injustices" against us as a club, it feels like it's given the players a pass to choose when to try, and when not to. Since then, there has been zero consistency in the majority of our players' performances. Simmo has been able to hide behind ridiculous injury lists in 2022 and 2023, when it's clear we didn't have the cattle to compete, nor the ability to build the gameplan required to compete in the modern footy landscape. The reality is, a huge amount of our losses during 2022-23 came with massive deficiencies in our effort level - it doesn't matter who's out on the field, it's the coach's job to be able to extract 100% effort and intensity during games. As fans, we can cop losses, but when the playing group aren't giving everything for the jumper, that's when we lose interest in what is being dished up.

So far this year, we lost games more on poor execution and inability to find this "synergy" that is spoken about, as opposed to poor effort. As has been mentioned by other posters, you could see what we were trying to do, and Simmo speaking about winning Contested Ball and Clearances, and locking it in the forward half was definitely on show. Then we saw it start to result in victories over Richmond, Freo and Melbourne, and it gave us faith that a corner was being turned.

But the Adelaide loss, where Simmo came out before the game and said we weren't focusing on away form in the media - again gifting the players a platform to give less than 100% effort (because if the coach is saying it isn't a focus, then why should it be the players focus?), has been where it's all gone wrong. Why on earth would he think it's a good idea to vocalise that in the media, for all to hear? I honestly cannot understand how a coach thinks that's a smart thing to say. Just smacks of complacency and acceptance at where we're at, without the drive to be uncompromising in the approach for improvement. From that point, we've seen a good effort away against Essendon last week, everything else has been putrid, with a serious lack of desire, effort and intensity.

Today was the culmination of that. To dish that up, with the team we had out there, against an admittedly improving Hawks team that's been on fire lately, but still a definitely winnable game based on what we've seen from the group at home earlier in the season, is completely inexcusable. Simmo isn't holding this group accountable for what is being dished up, that's as clear as day. Selection decisions, things he's said in the media, lack of changes within a game etc etc etc, I could go on. But the bottom line is, Don Pyke needs to get on the front foot and make the change. We can't sack the entire playing group, but we can make the change at Senior Coach. Now is the time. Sort it out FFS.

That one is going to leave a mark.

To a point, I can understand the midfield issues today - first time Flynn has played with Yeo, Kelly and Reid; Yeo's had a shit week and this stuff does affect performance; first games for Reid and Kelly in a month.

What I don't get is our disposal from D50. At the back end of last season, we were trying to run it out of defense through Hunt and Jones. Both are playing today and we're kicking to packs or, worse, the opposition. We seem to have gone back to 'switch across the back at every opportunity' and we've become predictable again.

With news reports of Reid potentially commanding nearly $2m a season from Victorian clubs, I think games like this do more harm than good to Simmo's chances of being here beyond this season. I think he sees out the season at least but I would expect some fairly deep conversations behind doors this week.

I think on-field leadership needs to be looked at as well. As much as some here want a coach to rant and rave at players, your captain needs to be setting an example and that isn't happening of late.

That one is going to leave a mark.

To a point, I can understand the midfield issues today - first time Flynn has played with Yeo, Kelly and Reid; Yeo's had a shit week and this stuff does affect performance; first games for Reid and Kelly in a month.

What I don't get is our disposal from D50. At the back end of last season, we were trying to run it out of defense through Hunt and Jones. Both are playing today and we're kicking to packs or, worse, the opposition. We seem to have gone back to 'switch across the back at every opportunity' and we've become predictable again.

With news reports of Reid potentially commanding nearly $2m a season from Victorian clubs, I think games like this do more harm than good to Simmo's chances of being here beyond this season. I think he sees out the season at least but I would expect some fairly deep conversations behind doors this week.

I think on-field leadership needs to be looked at as well. As much as some here want a coach to rant and rave at players, your captain needs to be setting an example and that isn't happening of late.
Flynn got 11 hit outs. It's got SFA do with 'synergy' with the new mids.

He is trash.

Flynn got 11 hit outs. It's got SFA do with 'synergy' with the new mids.

He is trash.
As I said last week, he couldn't get a game with GWS. Flynn/Williams are stop gaps until Barnett is ready to go. We're just going to have to grin and bear it for a couple of years when it comes to rucks unless you want English.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a coach to be residing over a record as woeful as the eagles since 2020 you would think it's a fate accomplii for simmo to be sacked this week and changes start to be made but for some reason I get the sad feeling that this won't happen for some strange inexplicable reason and he will not only stay as coach this year but next year and possibly get a contract extension.

The anger has given way to sadness, despair and acceptance of our fate under Simpson.

I think it's akin to the dark cloud over the Jedi that Sidious managed to get away with that is at work.

Darth Simpson has managed to somehow mesmerise not only the previous ceo but now Pyke as well.

And he trots out the we got a lesson in work rate tripe again…. Why don’t these guys know what work rate is required each week at afl level and it’s nonnegotiable

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Because he doesnt expect it from the players and assumes they will deliver it off their own back.

There's been plenty of excuses, most notably the worst injury crisis ever seen in the AFL for 2 years.

I always said he should get to the bye and reassess this year, provided the injury list was decent.

We've had that and after the last few games, it appears he's no longer up to it.
You’ve had plenty to say not just get the bye and reassess, pffffffttttt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back