List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Blues stars aren't heading to Melb. They won't have good enough picks.

If Petracca really wants out, he should head to North who have the picks and have been after a senior player and are surely set to rise with those kids - could be really quickly if you add in Petracca.
Yep, but from all reports he doesn’t want to go to a minnow club. Wants big crowds and a big supporter base, so that rules out norf

True. But why pay a player, who doesn't want to be there, well over $1M a year?

Do you really think he will give his all if he is not invested?

Dees aren't pushing him out, but he doesn't want to be there.
It wouldn't be in his best interests to play poorly for a year, particularly if he wanted to still leave the year after. Who would want him?

Sports law is a complicated area. There are lots of nuances and intricacies that are baked into terms in sporting contracts, you would be extremely foolish to think mechanisms based on breach of duty of care aren't part of standard sporting contracts. Especially in today's sporting climate, where there has been a serious increase in past players suing clubs for medical negligence.
The actual lawyers on this board have shut this down multiple times already. Stop pretending you know better.

Last edited:
Blues stars aren't heading to Melb. They won't have good enough picks.

If Petracca really wants out, he should head to North who have the picks and have been after a senior player and are surely set to rise with those kids - could be really quickly if you add in Petracca.
Have you been following the story or just having some fun here?

I wouldn’t be putting much stock into any rumour on JDG because it really does defeat the purpose of adding Petracca. The only way it makes sense is to up our collateral for other targets and open up cap space. Seems like change for changes sake to me.

It would be an indictment in the game if Petracca managed to use this legal ‘loophole’ to force a trade.
I think the thing that frustrates me the most is that Christian Petracca would have wanted to continue playing when he would know he was in too much pain. Where is the onus on the player to take their health seriously and listen to their body?

It’s a bit like how players are supposed to take concussion seriously and avoid contact with the head, but players are not forced to wear helmets?

Presently the Hawks have a 2024 first rounder and a 2025 first rounder. We only have the latter and apparently we may need that (or to split it) to get young McGuane. So yes, they have more picks to play with than us, even if one of their first rounders is committed to West Coast.
We don’t need our future first for McGuane. Period. It’s 100% available for us to trade if something enticing enough is on offer. So no. They don’t have more picks than us to play with. They have one future first, so do we.
And if Battle doesn't move, the money ear-marked for him is suddenly freed-up.

And, if it came to it, they've also got more desirable young players to package up in a trade deal than we do.

So, in what way do you think we have more to offer MFC to clinch a deal than Hawthorn?
Their salary cap is irrelevant to the discussion. That isn’t a determining factor that would make them a chance.

Do they have more desirable young players? Maybe. But those players also need to be open to a trade, and why would they want to leave a young team that’s on a rapid upward trajectory?

I don’t think we have more to offer than Hawthorn. But it’s pretty irrelevant tbh, because with a base out in Dingley they don’t meet the criteria for what he wants in a club. There’s a reason the media have narrowed it down to Collingwood and Carlton.

An extra like for “….have shit this down multiple times….” 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Jon Ralph

@RalphyHeraldSun
·
Follow
Could Petracca access the grievance tribunal to get out of MFC? Some industry figures believe he might have a case. His camp has considered using it before even in a very different circumstance. They will hope it isn’t needed. With @ClarkyHeraldSun https://heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/christian-petracca-opens-up-on-his-surgery-and-recovery-as-dees-shut-down-carlton-trade-speculation/news-story/77dfb530456a828722f96bfeb5141854…

7:04 AM · Aug 28, 2024
https://twitter.com/intent/like?ref...s-025543063.html&tweet_id=1828539121947812295
So turns out there is a mechanism for petracca to get out of his contract on the grounds of breaching duty of care. I would take the word of lawyers who advised paddy Ryder of that option over the word of posters who are supposedly lawyers.

Have you been following the story or just having some fun here?

I wouldn’t be putting much stock into any rumour on JDG because it really does defeat the purpose of adding Petracca. The only way it makes sense is to up our collateral for other targets and open up cap space. Seems like change for changes sake to me.
Yes. Melbourne are backing themselves into a corner where they can only accept a good deal. Melbourne are on the nose -so that deal is unlikely to include a top player - who is going to go there - it's got to be pointy end draft picks. I think Petracca is on a five year contract, he will have to compromise - unless a destination club deals with a club like North to get top draft picks, which isn't easy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be an indictment in the game if Petracca managed to use this legal ‘loophole’ to force a trade.
I think the thing that frustrates me the most is that Christian Petracca would have wanted to continue playing when he would know he was in too much pain. Where is the onus on the player to take their health seriously and listen to their body?

It’s a bit like how players are supposed to take concussion seriously and avoid contact with the head, but players are not forced to wear helmets?
It’s nothing like that at all given that it’s been thoroughly proven that helmets do absolutely nothing to prevent concussion.

Yes. Melbourne are backing themselves into a corner where they can only accept a good deal. Melbourne are on the nose -so that deal is unlikely to include a top player - who is going to go there - it's got to be pointy end draft picks. I think Petracca is on a five year contract, he will have to compromise - unless a destination club deals with a club like North to get top draft picks, which isn't easy.
I agree. The compromise though won’t be to go to a minnow club so throwing North out there has to be a joke. There seems to me to be only three real options available to him Melbourne, Carlton or Collingwood. I’m still firmly in the camp that he’ll be at the Dees in 2025 and gone in 2026, but Carlton seems the more likely destination to me.

Unfortunately the more time you get to ponder it all the more he feels like a poisoned chalice anyway. Melbourne are now on a hiding to nothing keeping him, Carlton will have to blow their structure up to accommodate him and we don’t have the trade currency without some crazy creativity. In any scenario though the closest he gets to Arden St outside his Marvel matches is his coffee date in Derrimut!

All these midfielders? Have you not noticed that we’ve been relying on the likes of Long, Sullivan and Bytel? I think you’re severely overrating our midfield right now, the only genuine youth mid we have coming through is Allan. As for Sidey, he can play a variety of roles and Mitchell being relegated to depth can only be a good thing, he’s not going to be taking up much cap anyway.
Macrae? Demattia? Our issue for so many years has been we have too many midfielders than we know what to do with. Sullivan and Long have been quite good in their roles as well so they will be up and coming as well. As for Bytel well I really have no idea why he's playing, must have some dirt on McRae is my best guess.

Macrae? Demattia? Our issue for so many years has been we have too many midfielders than we know what to do with. Sullivan and Long have been quite good in their roles as well so they will be up and coming as well. As for Bytel well I really have no idea why he's playing, must have some dirt on McRae is my best guess.
Throwing out the names of a guy that would be delisted if he didn’t have a contract and a guy yet to debut isn’t a strong basis for your argument. We might as well factor in Condon as ruck and KPF depth while we’re at it…

Given our supposed interest in Peatling and Davies I’d be surprised if any of Sullivan, Long and Bytel are on the list in 2025.

I agree. The compromise though won’t be to go to a minnow club so throwing North out there has to be a joke. There’s only three options available to him Melbourne, Carlton or Collingwood. I’m still firmly in the camp that he’ll be at the Dees in 2025 and gone in 2026, but Carlton seems the more likely destination to me.

If I was Melbourne, I'd be negotiating with other Melbourne clubs - get the best offer and tell Petracca that it's us or them. He's on a 5 year contract - he's not an uncontracted player with the whip hand.

Very different
Dees arent under a salary cap situation. They arent pushing him out. They refuse to trade him.
Lets not compare the two situations.
They are under cap pressure if they want to improve. They are about to have another dead weight mega contract on their hands in Petracca.

Let’s say he is forced to stay at Melbourne, and under performa for the year. What do you say then…1m contract not delivering…hmmm salary cap dump.

So in a way it’s the exact same position, it just hasn’t materialised yet.

Same as the Oliver situation last year, they tried to trade him knowing there was no way he’d be able to perform this year. They should have dumped his salary to the first club willing to take it on, they now have a second dead weight contract.

My bet is they have learnt their Oliver lesson and will trade Trac to the team he wants to go to.

Nick Steven’s is the only real example I can think of where it worked against the player. Others are either traded to their preferred destination or stay at their club because the relationship is not fundamentally broken.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back