Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

I understand that, hence my response to somebody saying Geelong will be able to "fix" Oliver.

No doubt Geelong is more professional than Melbourne, that's not really up for debate.

But it may not be that easy.
In the end, I think it's totally valid to hold to two perspectives on the Oliver situation at the same time.

Firstly, the Cats will do all the due diligence possible on him and will then back in their system and its cultural safeguards if they do decide to pursue the trade. They are not going to stick their collective heads in the sand about Oliver's issues and just pretend that it's all going to be fine if he comes to the club. After all, Oliver's biggest issues (which are all clearly related to his own self-management) don't stay with the Dees if he leaves; they come with him wherever he goes from here.

Secondly, Oliver wouldn't be in this situation if he hadn't mightily tested the patience of all involved at the Melbourne Football Club. He's not just 'misunderstood', he's clearly behaved very poorly on multiple occasions to bring us to the current scenario where his club is even contemplating moving on from a monster contract that was intended to keep him at the Dees for his entire career. He's not some easy fix and he's no guarantee to come good if he walks into the Cattery in the future. To me, he's almost the dictionary definition of 'high risk, high reward' when it comes to players you'd consider trading into your club.

So in the light of all that, I think it's entirely understandable to be absolutely ambivalent about the idea of him joining the hoops. It could work out brilliantly or it could be a debacle. Or it could ultimately be some 'meh' amalgam of the two. All of which means that I'm satisfied that the club will make the best call it can, given the information available. And I'm happy to back them in on that, while acknowledging that any deal we make here could end up looking very ordinary down the track. That's the level of risk we're talking here.

#stayclassygeelong

In the end, I think it's totally valid to hold to two perspectives on the Oliver situation at the same time.

Firstly, the Cats will do all the due diligence possible on him and will then back in their system and its cultural safeguards if they do decide to pursue the trade. They are not going to stick their collective heads in the sand about Oliver's issues and just pretend that it's all going to be fine if he comes to the club. After all, Oliver's biggest issues (which are all clearly related to his own self-management) don't stay with the Dees if he leaves; they come with him wherever he goes from here.

Secondly, Oliver wouldn't be in this situation if he hadn't mightily tested the patience of all involved at the Melbourne Football Club. He's not just 'misunderstood', he's clearly behaved very poorly on multiple occasions to bring us to the current scenario where his club is even contemplating moving on from a monster contract that was intended to keep him at the Dees for his entire career. He's not some easy fix and he's no guarantee to come good if he walks into the Cattery in the future. To me, he's almost the dictionary definition of 'high risk, high reward' when it comes to players you'd consider trading into your club.

So in the light of all that, I think it's entirely understandable to be absolutely ambivalent about the idea of him joining the hoops. It could work out brilliantly or it could be a debacle. Or it could ultimately be some 'meh' amalgam of the two. All of which means that I'm satisfied that the club will make the best call it can, given the information available. And I'm happy to back them in on that, while acknowledging that any deal we make here could end up looking very ordinary down the track. That's the level of risk we're talking here.

#stayclassygeelong
Melbourne as a whole is a basketcase of a club at the moment, they have treated Petracca like crap and not looked after him to the point he wanted to leave too so I'm not completely blaming Oliver “issues” as the reason he isn't wanted, i feel there is more too it.

Really got to love that posters are claiming they know more about player development than the club , I would back the club to be better equiped to assess the likes of Clark’s development than them

He may not make it in the end but it’s pretty amusing seeing posters claim that he’s not up to AFL standards when he’s physically not developed at that level is comical to me with a under a year worth of AFL game to make that assessment too.
Oh, and Zuth says hi...

Really got to love that posters are claiming they know more about player development than the club , I would back the club to be better equiped to assess the likes of Clark’s development than them

He may not make it in the end but it’s pretty amusing seeing posters claim that he’s not up to AFL standards when he’s physically not developed at that level is comical to me with a under a year worth of AFL game to make that assessment too.
It's a footy forum to discuss footy 🤷‍♂️ what do you expect

Melbourne as a whole is a basketcase of a club at the moment, they have treated Petracca like crap and not looked after him to the point he wanted to leave too so I'm not completely blaming Oliver “issues” as the reason he isn't wanted, i feel there is more too it.
That's all fine. But the Dees have never sought to exit Petracca. It simply can't be ignored that Melbourne has twice sought to shop around a player who is on a gigantic deal at their club. You don't do that if most of the issues are with you in how you're handling said player.

Rucks are overrated just have to be serviceable …who are teams going to give their attention to ? Smith? Oliver? Holmes? danger ? Guthrie ?

It isn’t the problem you think it’s going to be

What does serviceable mean?

Feels like an eternity since we've had a stable ruck setup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serviceable - that the required function is met, no more no less. Does what's required without being extraordinary.

I was being a bit smug :p

But I would like a ruck setup that doesn't break down every few weeks where other players are pulled in to patch it up.

Obviously it's not high priority though some posters did offer info a few days ago where we have tried to find other ruck stocks, it just hasn't eventuated.

It's a footy forum to discuss footy 🤷‍♂️ what do you expect
Standard from the cohort on this board that accept no criticism, or even doubt, about a player that wears the hoops.

1728605395985.png

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

So are we 100% sure that SDK is not getting involved in any trade deal? I know the club have said no but they also said the Oliver deal was dead yet look where we are.
SDKs manager was the first one out there ruling it out, Oliver's manager is maintaining radio silence. Big difference

#stayclassygeelong

I hope their due diligence goes far and wide is all I'm saying.

I have doubts as to how much they're going to get from Oliver and his manager, and from the reports I've heard, nobody from the club was around when he was found as it was all after hours. There'd be cameras sure, but who from Melbourne is going to tell Geelong the absolute truth, they want him gone from their club.

Obviously Mackie and co have more insiders than any of us but who are they asking is what I wonder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back