Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Clark's problem is that he is midfielder or nothing, skilful or athletic players can develop on the flanks until their body is right for inside battle. He doesn't have size, speed or power, doesn't have any real tricks.

On our timeline we won't wait for him to spend 3-5 years in the hope he builds up a tank and bulks up in the gym. By the time he is there we'll have moved past him. With how player movement works clubs don't wait anymore.

We're seeing less and less guys like Clark going early or at all in the draft, you can pull them at aged 25 from the VFL for free.
Sounds like Selwood.

I can totally understand people not liking long term contracts, particularly for solid average players like Balta.

The Menzel example is no doubt a cautionary tale. But there are always outliers that retrospectively prove a point. What if we had instead signed Gaz jnr. to a 10 year deal on peanuts after his first season as an underperforming half forward?
We signed Gaz for 5 years on peanuts (as it turned out)
Not many were getting 5 years in 2001

Amazing that Clayton is able to be in Shepparton and clean out his locker in Melbourne at the same time. Maybe he could just play for both clubs seeing as he can be in two places at the same time.
I hate to be that guy but you don’t have to personally be there to collect your things

Oliver could had easily got an associate or his manager to do it

But no doubt it’s more the media stirring things up for clicks

Clark's problem is that he is midfielder or nothing, skilful or athletic players can develop on the flanks until their body is right for inside battle. He doesn't have size, speed or power, doesn't have any real tricks.

On our timeline we won't wait for him to spend 3-5 years in the hope he builds up a tank and bulks up in the gym. By the time he is there we'll have moved past him. With how player movement works clubs don't wait anymore.

We're seeing less and less guys like Clark going early or at all in the draft, you can pull them at aged 25 from the VFL for free.
Sounds like Bruhn

Reports from Shepparton, where his family live, stated Oliver is running + training hard. Would be easy for him to take a few weeks off, especially after the stress from MFC

🤡 🎢 🤡 🎪 🤡 🎠 🤡 🎡 🤡 🤹 🤡
Reports from his mum in the replies to the article is that he's not from Shepparton and isn't in Shepparton

I’m confident Clark will make it. I see the same things I saw in Zuthrie’s early days that had me backing him. I understand supporters’ impatience given his draft position, but he’ll be fine.
It's not an exact science picking winners from the young guys but I'm with you on Clark.
I tend to look for an attribute or two with the young guys that will translate into them belonging at AFL level.
Clark shows courage and a manic attack on the ball/man plus he has shown great vision and decision making at times at AFL level. Disposal needs work but has been very good at times.
Similarly you could see Humphries had elite disposal and decision making very early on.
Clark also looks like a solid trainer and has leadership qualities - huge ticks.
He's still only 19/20 so plenty of time to accumulate experience and importantly develop an AFL body and endurance.

I wasn't saying he'd be "magically fixed," thank you very much. I was saying that the different environment at Geelong and the support he will receive may be just what Clayton needs to turn his life around. There are no guarantees, sure, but your utter negativity in insisting that Clayton is somehow broken beyond repair is ridiculous.

You didn't say may, you said he'll be so much better off as a person at Geelong.

My response was we don't know that, nobody does.

Could Melbourne finally be playing some 4D chess here?

As in… they absolutely all want Oliver gone but understand that they hold no leverage and would’ve been walked all over in a trade.

So after Mackie offers peanuts for him… like you pay a bunch of his contract and we’ll give you pick 50 peanuts, they formulated a plan to get us offering more.

Melbourne know by now that we are keen on Oliver and want him… so they come out and announce they aren’t trading him.

Geelong start to offer more and Melbourne end potentially end up with a deal they aren’t embarrassed taking (but they wanted him gone no matter what).

Plenty of us weren’t keen one bit on giving up our F1 for Oliver when we thought the Dees wanted him out.

All of a sudden after they say we ain’t trading him lots here have changed our tunes and are happy to give up that F1 as long as the Dees bite off some of his contract.

I’ll give the Dees some credit if that is there plan.

I’ll continue to call them monkeys if they 100% meant they weren’t trading him when they said it… but still trade him lol.

Getting your stand in President (Green) involved in trade mind games would be a decent effort… but I tend to think they are still monkeys and the left arm doesn’t know what the right arm is doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stengle was taken to hospital, where a drug + EtOH would have been done. If positive for drugs, he would not have played the next week. Perhaps he was smashed? A bit dumb, but not worth crucifying him.

Agree, club take everything into account.
It was due to do his ADHD medication 🤪

Someone in the media would be well advised to contact our coach and ask him if he’s met with Clayton Oliver in the last 48 hrs.

And Chris……you can only answer yes or no.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Reports from his mum in the replies to the article is that he's not from Shepparton and isn't in Shepparton
“Clayton's parents were wonderful, good country people from Echuca, Victoria.”

IMG_0837.jpeg
Mooroopna is six minutes from Shepparton

Murray Bushrangers are in Wangarratta.

Can’t dispute his Mum ☺️

I think the part I took issue with, which is where we differ, is saying 'he needs to get a move on to reach some of the heights you see for him...needs to take a big step forward in 2025'

Honestly, if he shows a bit more development ala Zuthrie, I'm fine with that. He's contracted to 2026, so that's the time he's got to really show his wares. I've had my concerns at stages, but that game against Melbourne where he had 14 disposals and kicked a goal, I really saw some good signs.

I think his VFL form tapered a bit, as it's a long season, and his body still isn't AFL ready. He was played on the wing and at half forward at times, to protect his body, when his long-term position is as an inside mid.

He's also gone from playing 1 game last year, to 15 games this year. I see enough there to be happy with his development, and really excited for next year - after another pre-season, hopefully some size added, and that determination to really crack in and have that 3rd year breakout, that a lot of the best mids have. He has a step from in and out of traffic that is elite (reminds me of Lachie Neale), and is actually a really good overhead mark. He has a very decent kick, but struggles with confidence, much like Zuth did early days. Give him the size to know he can take a hit, ride the tackle (like his underage years), and he'll be able to display all of his good traits a lot more consistently.

We'll see how we go, but I'll only really start to get concerned if he doesn't look likely at the end of next year, and goes into 2026 with his development stalling and not displaying any of the form he displayed in his underage years.

No problem people talking about it, but some people do really go early...especially with those who take a while to develop.
Zuthrie was a rookie list defender. It was a long term investment from the outset. Clark is a blue chip midfielder. It’s a poor comparison.

Anything???
Answer Waiting GIF
Mr Bean Waiting GIF by Bombay Softwares

He also played 7 straight games in the VFL after being dropped early in the season.

The point is, players develop at different rates, and a top 10 pick playing significant VFL time in his 3rd season does NOT mean he’s not going to make it. And potentially make it big time.
Clark, in his third season, needs to take a big step forward. Just like Bartel did in 2004.

Significant time in the VFL in 2025 is not satisfactory.

Stengle was taken to hospital, where a drug + EtOH would have been done. If positive for drugs, he would not have played the next week. Perhaps he was smashed? A bit dumb, but not worth crucifying him.

Agree, club take everything into account.

That's a load of bollocks.

No secret what actually occured. It is bizarre some of you just blindly believe Geelong and its players can do no wrong though.

I hate to be that guy but you don’t have to personally be there to collect your things

Oliver could had easily got an associate or his manager to do it

But no doubt it’s more the media stirring things up for clicks
Of course that could be true but also likely something that is just made up.

It was due to do his ADHD medication 🤪
Strangle has ADHD?

ADHD treatment can be difficult to balance effectively + takes time, involving trying different drugs.

As mentioned previously, ADHD drugs have adverse reactions with alcohol.

My heart goes out to these young guys with ADHD, dealing with fame + fortune, living the high life + temptation to ‘party’ hard. Plus dealing with ADHD + it’s symptoms whether medicated or not.

Will also add, regarding Oliver’s trade to Geelong, psychological evaluation is part of the process.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back