List Mgmt. Welcome Bailey Smith - officially (and finally) traded to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I wanted to include Smith in my best 23 for 2025 but thought if I posted my view here it could make the thread take a wrong term and I risked the wrath of cats_09 😳

Is it too early to start a best 23 for next year? I suppose we would normally wait to after the draft but given pick 45 if our first pick (although assume we might try and trade to get an earlier pick!) not a bad assumption to think our best 23 will come from people already on our list post Smith and coming Martin trade?

I have a feeling there might be a squeeze but I will hold off predicting mine. Early hint though…Smith is in!! (And need to do more thinking about Martin

😎

I’m interested to see where we play Smith.

Not sure if it’ll be in the middle or on the wings.

He certainly has done his best work on the outside… even if that’s on the outside of a stoppage but not necessarily sitting on a wing.

Keen to find out Chris Scott’s initial thoughts.
I think we have a ton of wing options but we're limited for power, speed, and endurance for the ball chasers. Middle every day of the week for me

Didn’t know where to post this…but was thinking about what number Smith would come in at…given 6 is taken.

And then realised we have some pretty good numbers available. Especially for a year where we currently have first pick as 45.

Picks 2, 3 , 15, 19, 20, 23, 26…

So Bailey gets the first pick (does he go lowest number? Maybe he has a favourite?). Do we see anyone else cycling down with some low numbers becoming available? Each year accross the competition a half dozen people change their numbers. Usually going for a lower number.

I can’t remember a Cats player doing it though?

Does it happen? If so who?

No right answers!
I'm going to guess that 2 and 26 will be retired for one season like 14 was in 2023 - We have can have 44 listed players and our jumper numbers go up to 46 at the moment leaving 2 spares so the retirements for a season could be an option?

I'll then guess he will take next lowest which is 3

I think we have a ton of wing options but we're limited for power, speed, and endurance for the ball chasers. Middle every day of the week for me
I get your logic…but I reckon he could be a game changer on the wing as well. In the MF he is I think a more outside/receiver as you say using power, speed and endurance…all handy! But we have Max with exactly the same (maybe in different proportions)? I think we will have 2 bulls and one of those in each centre bounce?

No doubt Smith will get his fair share in there

Question is what split it will be. My (current) bet is higher % wing?

I'm going to guess that 2 and 26 will be retired for one season like 14 was in 2023 - We have can have 44 listed players and our jumper numbers go up to 46 at the moment leaving 2 spares so the retirements for a season could be an option?

I can see 26 being retired for the season, but why would we retire #2?

The Grammar Nazi in me is disappointed…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let’s give Bailey the benefit of the doubt + blame that damn autocorrect 😉 He was obviously excited + clicked send.

Good call, Smith’s number in numerology is 3

😉

I was under the impression we lost 2 through retirement - Tuohy, Hawkins, and another 7 were delisted - Brandan Parfitt, Gary Rohan, Phoenix Foster, Oscar Murdoch, James Willis, Mitch Hardie and Emerson Jeka. We added Smith last night and there is another Irish import. So I figured we need to find another 7 players. We had 44 players on our list last year. Are you saying we can just have a smaller list this year?
Jack Martin is being added as a UFA as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t know where to post this…but was thinking about what number Smith would come in at…given 6 is taken.

And then realised we have some pretty good numbers available. Especially for a year where we currently have first pick as 45.

Picks 2, 3 , 15, 19, 20, 23, 26…

So Bailey gets the first pick (does he go lowest number? Maybe he has a favourite?). Do we see anyone else cycling down with some low numbers becoming available? Each year accross the competition a half dozen people change their numbers. Usually going for a lower number.

I can’t remember a Cats player doing it though?

Does it happen? If so who?

No right answers!

Someone rang up, I think the Rumour File on 3AW early last week and said she'd been out somewhere and got Bailey Smith's autograph. She said he signed it with the number 3.

Someone rang up, I think the Rumour File on 3AW early last week and said she'd been out somewhere and got Bailey Smith's autograph. She said he signed it with the number 3.
Two questions about wet conditions:
Does Bailey play well in the wet;
Does he wear sleeves in the wet?

And will he adopt the Geelong team headband...
Apparently he cuts his own hair, was taught by a hairdresser girlfriend of a relative or someone ???

Posted previously regarding Bailey’s hair. He’s naturally a Ranga 🧡
Recent hair pix appear to be longer at the sides. So it seems that by the opening of 2025 season, about 6 March, he might sport a short, blonde bob with headband 🤞🏻

Bailey’s hair is of vital importance to supporters, obviously 😉

Putting All Australians, B&F finishes, Brownlow finishes and whatever other accolades to the side, I still say that Smith's output in the 2021 finals series was at a higher level than anything Kelly has ever produced.

Did you actually watch any of his games? Because at that time he was widely being talked about as one of the absolute best and most damaging players in the league.

Yes it's a small sample size, and yes he hasn't really lived up to the hype since due to injury and other factors, but the level he rose to at that time was scintillating and up there with some of the very best finals performances we have seen. In recent times anyway.

That is the only point I have been trying to make, and if that cracks you up, well goodo.

What im going to do in the Xmas holiday break with the time to do it , is watch a full replay of the 2021 GF and im just going to watch Smiths game

Their opponent , and all Geelong supporters saw how sensational Melb were at the time , particularly their midfield Petracca Oliver , Viney Gawn and a few others in career best form and unstoppable . So i will be really intrigued as to how Smith plays in that game ( yes he was only 20 ) and how he performed in the 2nd half when the Demons Tsunami errupted . That game will give a great gauge as to how talented B Smith is , so until i watch that game i wont make any comment on his talent level

Because he is coming off an ACL i think Smith as long as he does some nice things in some games next year , and his effort is top notch , then i think he gets a pass mark . Ican remember Wojo , similar type player , his 1st year back from an ACL , his form was very patchy , inconsistent , lost a bit of confidence , however the following year it was all systems go and he was back to his brilliant best . Thus 2026 is the year to judge B Smith as a footballer

Bailey being the bigger man in that situation, Dogs have well and truly spat the dummy with him i reckon….oh and dont worry Bailey you are walking into the club of your dreams next year hopefully for the next 10 years!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Bailey Smith - officially (and finally) traded to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back