Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

1 point in a half for WC girls is piss poor
I’ve been tempted to go to a home game of theirs just to have a giggle. But haven’t as it seems cruel (and I fear the bad karma… Freo obviously has done something wrong at some stage and I don’t need to add to that 😜)

The big ginge has kicked 6 against WC. I reckon the blondie Prespakis is a better player than her sister. I don't have any hair related comments.
I saw the “Big ginge”, Aisling Moloney, last week against Brissie and was hella impressed. She collects a bouncing ball so cleanly that they can trust her to scoop up a ball lobbed over the contest and race toward goal. She’s a good mark. Accurate kick. Just demoralised the Sheagles.

A lot to like.

Man imagine if we had Tighe, Bowers, Stannet, and Miller. Actually doing really well considering.
by time some of them back. others will leave, and perhaps other injuries or perofrmance change

The palyers we have no (apart from miller Hoepfully ) are waht we have for rest of year. No tighe, no bowers and no stannet.

So lets go girls.

A few issues to still be ironed out.

1. Too many kicks in hope rather than looking for a team mate.
2. Too many errors picking ball up from ground.
3. too many errors when bouncing the ball
4. Goal kicking even when close to goals.

Many improvements.
Lots more marks now.
Running from behind to get the handball from the mark or free kick is working well
Ruck work is going to another level. brilliant

So more skill development to come., need more games.

I saw the “Big ginge”, Aisling Moloney, last week against Brissie and was hella impressed. She collects a bouncing ball so cleanly that they can trust her to scoop up a ball lobbed over the contest and race toward goal. She’s a good mark. Accurate kick. Just demoralised the Sheagles.

A lot to like.

6 is a bag, often more than a team's entire score. Could have had 7 but they took the ball off her when she pushed away a hanger-on after taking mark at the top of the goalsquare.

I would like to know what the record is for most goals in an AFLW game but it only said in the game report that Moloney is one of 4 players who have kicked 6 or more goals in a game.

I did wonder if they have meetings in Ireland to try and do something about losing their best Gaelic football girls to the AFL in Australia, kind of like we used to complain about losing all our players to the VFL in the 1980's. Seems like the seasons don't overlap that much and some of the players still play in both comps, but that may change with the scheduling of a longer season here. A report in one online Irish newspaper The Irish Mirror that said some AFLW games and are broadcast live, as well as highlights, on a free to air station in Ireland.

It was funny reading a quote from Aine about it being great to train professionally in the same facilities as the men even if the men are "getting a few bob more than us".

List of Irish AFLW players and which teams they're from:

Mayo
Niamh Kelly (Adelaide Crows)
Dayna Finn (Carlton)
Sarah Rowe (Collingwood)
Rachel Kearns (Geelong Cats)
Aileen Gilroy (Hawthorn)
Grace Kelly (St Kilda)

Tipperary
Orla O’Dwyer (Brisbane Lions)
Aisling McCarthy (Freemantle)
Anna Rose Kennedy (Geelong Cats)
Aishling Moloney (Geelong Cats)
Niamh Martin (North Melbourne)

Donegal
Amy Boyle Carr (Adelaide Crows)
Niamh McLaughlin (Gold Coast Suns)
Tanya Kennedy (Sydney Swans)

Armagh
Amy Mulholland (Freemantle)
Lauren McConville (Gold Coast Suns)
Blaithin Mackin (Melbourne)

Dublin
Jennifer Dunne (Brisbane Lions)
Sinéad Goldrick (Melbourne)

Meath
Orlagh Lally (Freemantle)
Vikki Wall (North Melbourne)

Leitrim
Áine Tighe (Freemantle)
Eilish O’Dowd (GWS Giants)

Kerry
Paris McCarthy (Sydney Swans)
Julie O'Sullivan (Sydney Swans)

Cavan
Aishling Sheridan (Collingwood)

Monaghan
Muireann Atkinson (Collingwood)

Roscommon
Joanne Cregg (Freemantle)

Offaly
Kate Kenny (Geelong Cats)

Down
Clara Fitzpatrick (Gold Coast Suns)

Tyrone
Cara McCrossan (Gold Coast Suns)

Galway
Áine McDonagh (Hawthorn)

Cork
Erika O’Shea (North Melbourne)

Fermanagh
Blaithín Bogue (North Melbourne)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did wonder if they have meetings in Ireland to try and do something about losing their best Gaelic football girls to the AFL in Australia, kind of like we used to complain about losing all our players to the VFL in the 1980's. Seems like the seasons don't overlap that much and some of the players still play in both comps, but that may change with the scheduling of a longer season here. A report in one online Irish newspaper The Irish Mirror that said some AFLW games and are broadcast live, as well as highlights, on a free to air station in Ireland.

It was funny reading a quote from Aine about it being great to train professionally in the same facilities as the men even if the men are "getting a few bob more than us".

List of Irish AFLW players and which teams they're from:

Mayo
Niamh Kelly (Adelaide Crows)
Dayna Finn (Carlton)
Sarah Rowe (Collingwood)
Rachel Kearns (Geelong Cats)
Aileen Gilroy (Hawthorn)
Grace Kelly (St Kilda)

Tipperary
Orla O’Dwyer (Brisbane Lions)
Aisling McCarthy (Freemantle)
Anna Rose Kennedy (Geelong Cats)
Aishling Moloney (Geelong Cats)
Niamh Martin (North Melbourne)

Donegal
Amy Boyle Carr (Adelaide Crows)
Niamh McLaughlin (Gold Coast Suns)
Tanya Kennedy (Sydney Swans)

Armagh
Amy Mulholland (Freemantle)
Lauren McConville (Gold Coast Suns)
Blaithin Mackin (Melbourne)

Dublin
Jennifer Dunne (Brisbane Lions)
Sinéad Goldrick (Melbourne)

Meath
Orlagh Lally (Freemantle)
Vikki Wall (North Melbourne)

Leitrim
Áine Tighe (Freemantle)
Eilish O’Dowd (GWS Giants)

Kerry
Paris McCarthy (Sydney Swans)
Julie O'Sullivan (Sydney Swans)

Cavan
Aishling Sheridan (Collingwood)

Monaghan
Muireann Atkinson (Collingwood)

Roscommon
Joanne Cregg (Freemantle)

Offaly
Kate Kenny (Geelong Cats)

Down
Clara Fitzpatrick (Gold Coast Suns)

Tyrone
Cara McCrossan (Gold Coast Suns)

Galway
Áine McDonagh (Hawthorn)

Cork
Erika O’Shea (North Melbourne)

Fermanagh
Blaithín Bogue (North Melbourne)
The amateur part of Gaelic is so ingrained it's hard to see that changing.

But the GA players tend to have nice foot skills. It was great to see that deft way McCarthy squared around and kick that goal in the first. It just showed a great feel for steering the ball and she always seems to have plenty of self assurance. Amazing she hasn't been a star before now. I guess it's down to some acclimatising time.

Also Lally hoofs it like nobodies business. Going by Saturday's efforts she's starting to round out her game quite a bit more too.

Not to mention Áine's great kicking 😔...

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back