NFL (08/09) Super Bowl XLIII: Pittsburgh Steelers vs Arizona Cardinals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Thoughts on SB XLIII

Some of Big Ben's efforts to avoid being sacked were unbelievable - especially the play that ended with Heath Miller getting the reception for a first down. He is one strong unit.

Warner's attempt at a bump/tackle on Harrison in the INT return was rather amusing, and I thought the crowd was gonna yell "Stop, Forrest, Stop" as Larry Fitz looked like he was going to run out of the stadium. And JJ Arrington's thighs - they are huge!!!

Overall, pretty good game - congrats to the Steelers and hopefully by next season OneHD will have made it to my place outside Hobart so I can watch games each week.

Whoa, I just heard that in the Steelers history, there have only been 3 head coaches: Chuck Knoll, Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin. The Raiders go through 3 coaches every half decade.
Only three coaches that have actually WON a SB I think they meant to say... Noll and Cowher lasted a damn long time, but they cycled through plenty in their 'dark ages'...

a brief recap or link to the reasons??? me thinks your views wouldnt be too popular.
What exactly does popularity have to do with anything? :confused: Popularity isn't a criteria for personal reasons that someone may have. It's up to me to have my own reasons, and not others to decide my reasons for me of course. What an idiotic thing for you to say.
what a ridiculous reason to not watch a superbowl.
Firstly, you have just stated that you don't know what my reasons are and that you wanted a link. Secondly you said that these reasons that you don't know what they were, wouldn't be popular. Finally you now say that these reasons that you don't know are a ridiculous reason not to watch a Super Bowl. None of that makes any sense whatsoever.

Do you always show this amount of ignorance by jumping to conclusions and making judgements on other people based on absolutely nothing on a regular basis, or are you only doing it now? Again, I wanted both teams to lose for reasons that I have previously given, and if you want to search my posts, then that is up to you.

Because I felt this way about both teams, I didn't pay too much attention to the Super Bowl with the exception of the last twenty minutes or so. I didn't say that I didn't watch it all as you've incorrectly stated here, but that is just another example of the fool that you've made yourself out to be.

haterade said:
Whoa, I just heard that in the Steelers history, there have only been 3 head coaches: Chuck Knoll, Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin. The Raiders go through 3 coaches every half decade.

Zarko said:
Only three coaches that have actually WON a SB I think they meant to say... Noll and Cowher lasted a damn long time, but they cycled through plenty in their 'dark ages'...

People seem to forget that when teams are bad, owners keep trying to hire new HCs (and billions of new positional coaches and coordinators) to try to make the team good. It's a hard situation to be in because everyone knows stability is important for success, but BAD stability is worse. Stability itself is not THE reason for success. Also, all teams go thru periods of suckage, so naturally it's easy for people to look at a good team now and think they know how to run successful franchises and a current bad team like the Raiders dont know how to run successful franchises.

Wrong---they ALL know. Just they're all trying to find those good coaches to create stability around. You also have another problem where good positional coaches and co-ordinators now get snapped up by other teams. So it's always getting harder now to have stability. Teams like Philadelphia and Indy have been able to because integral people to the success of those franchises (coordinators/positional coaches) have remained on the team for years.

Yeah, the Steelers were going to about a new coach every year or 3 until Noll came along...

Yep, as do ALL teams. If you look, all teams had that great coach they found and retained stability around them for a decade or more. Both BEFORE and AFTER those great coaches came and went there's often a period of suckage and mass coaching turnover till they find their NEXT good coach to build stability around.

What exactly does popularity have to do with anything? :confused: Popularity isn't a criteria for personal reasons that someone may have. It's up to me to have my own reasons, and not others to decide my reasons for me of course. What an idiotic thing for you to say.Firstly, you have just stated that you don't know what my reasons are and that you wanted a link. Secondly you said that these reasons that you don't know what they were, wouldn't be popular. Finally you now say that these reasons that you don't know are a ridiculous reason not to watch a Super Bowl. None of that makes any sense whatsoever.

Do you always show this amount of ignorance by jumping to conclusions and making judgements on other people based on absolutely nothing on a regular basis, or are you only doing it now? Again, I wanted both teams to lose for reasons that I have previously given, and if you want to search my posts, then that is up to you.

Because I felt this way about both teams, I didn't pay too much attention to the Super Bowl with the exception of the last twenty minutes or so. I didn't say that I didn't watch it all as you've incorrectly stated here, but that is just another example of the fool that you've made yourself out to be.

ok, i think someone needs a mental health day.

forget it........i wont be losing sleep over it.

I think it would have been 3 coaches in the last 40 years, Noll took the job in '69.

Yep, as do ALL teams. If you look, all teams had that great coach they found and retained stability around them for a decade or more. Both BEFORE and AFTER those great coaches came and went there's often a period of suckage and mass coaching turnover till they find their NEXT good coach to build stability around.
Hmmm, I think the Giants have been fairly stable after Owens came in for 20+ years... IN our first 5 years we went through 4 HC but none were bad perse, all above average, but they got offered better jobs (College was bigger back then). After than the minimum any one has coached for was 2 seasons.

If Coughlin leaves, and say Gilbride becomes HC, for a three-year contract, and sucks, the Giants will sack him and look for another HC. If he in turn sucks in his 3 yr contract, they'll sack him. Etc. Those sackings could occur in the 1st or 2nd or 3rd year of the contract. You wont find any NFL owner (maybe the Browns from Bengals--purely due to monetary issues tho) who maintain bad stability for the sake of stability.

Re: (08/09) Superbowl XLIII: Arizona vs Pittsburgh

Finished watching the whole game tonight and what a great exhibition it was. Having Ten HD have watched a fair bit of the Steelers all year and liked what I saw. My 8 yo has adopted the Steelers as his team, while I have 'liked' the Redskins since the mid 80s. Rothliesberger seems to divide football followers, is that a fair comment? or have I picked up on something that's not there. Anyhow, great game. :thumbsu:

Re: (08/09) Superbowl XLIII: Arizona vs Pittsburgh

nah, there's no real division of opinion on Roethlisberger.
i mean, he's been one of my favorite players for a few years now, and everyone realizes how good he is.
just we like to tease Woodson on here by saying he is a "game manager"----which he WAS in his first couple of seasons as a rookie, like all rookies are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Superbowl MVP

Which leads me to another point....

The MVP award. Did anyone feel that Holmes wasnt the right choice?

Was suprised that Ben didnt get it, given the way it gravitates to QBs. Holmes was a good choice, he made alot of important catches.

If it could ever be a loser... Fitz.

No, it should have been Warner ;)

Holmes was the logical choice but I could have seen it go to Harrison or Woodley, and deservedly so. If Big Ben won then it would have reinforced it as a QBs award and made a farce of the award (like SB 41 & 42)

Warner imo if it were ever a loser winning it....he had 400 yards and 3-1 TD-INT against the top D in football.

Fitzgerald and Dockett also had monster games worthy of MVP mention had the Cards won.

But imo, even tho I hate how QBs get all the awards, I think Roethlisberger should have won the award. He truly led the team, and made so many massive plays, buying time, avoiding sacks, leading receivers around, etc.

(like SB 41 & 42)

Each SB is a different case and if ONLY the people who vote these awards had done them properly, then handing it to Ben in 43 would not have caused some kind of "farce".

42: Tuck and Eli deserved it. Eli did do MVP-like feats in that game. One of only two QBs to throw two go ahead TDs in a SB. Tuck had a great statistical game and MVP-like effect.

41: Rhodes or Addai shouldve won it. Imo, Addai should've got it. People forget Addai rushed for like 80 yards and received about 80 yards including a SB record (at the time) of 10 receptions. Peyton had no MVP-like effect on the game.

It should of gone to Holmes, would of considered who ever it was that got the int-TD.

If a loser could get the win, I would of gone with Fitz, but with Warner close behind.

It should of gone to Holmes, would of considered who ever it was that got the int-TD.

Grammar Nazi Time!

It should HAVE gone to Holmes, would have considered who ever it was that got the int-TD.

:D

It should have gone to Harrison. It always goes to the people who make the 'last' big play, not necessarily the most or biggest.

The interception had a lot meaning first in stopping a TD from the 1-yard line... but to take it 100-yards for a TD... with no time left in the half. When you wouldn't have thought twice if he went down at the 50. Effectively creating a 14-point play in what ended a 4pt game! Then you layer on the pressure he brought all game and the 5-odd holding calls on the left-tackle trying to stop him!

Warner - as with the league MVP I don't see how a player who doesn't win (or make playoffs) as measuring up to essence of that award. They may be the most valuable to their team and carried them significantly further than they otherwise would have got...BUT if the aim is to win, how is it really valuable... valuable to what... valuable to getting 'closer'

and even with everything he did and didn't do... what he did at the end of the first half was really a deciding factor in the game! and that ended up a big fat negative.

You can't give someone the MVP because of one play.

Oh hang on . . . I think they did. :)
The last two have been because of 1 play. MANNING to Tyree and Roethlisberger to HOLMES.

And the one before that was because everybody else had substandard games.

The last 3 Superbowl MVPs should of been

Addai/Rhodes whichever one had the better game
Some random defender, no Giant on offense deserved it.
And then Roethlisberger. He had an entire drive of Manning to Tyree type plays. Running left avoid the sack throw and hit a receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back